PDA

View Full Version : Green

MrClockWork
November 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM
So I am on a journey to find the perfect green ink for my every day use at work. So far I have only used Noodler's Green and Noodler's Green Gator and I am not set on either. Here are my observations from my use.

Noodler's Green: I think the color is perfect for what I am looking for and I have not experienced noticeable feathering even on my cheap copy paper at work. My big problem with this ink is that it takes FOREVER to dry on my Rhodia paper that I use for journaling and for my running to-do list at work. I will write a full page and still be able to go back to the top of the page and smear a fair amount of ink and I am using a Japanese fine nib. I know this is not a fast-drying ink so I am not faulting the ink at all.

Noodler's Green Gator: This ink dries significantly faster than the regular Green which is really nice it feathers like crazy, even on my 80g Rhodia. I am not a fan of the color.

I don't need a true "fast drying" ink but I would like to not have to worry about smudging everything when I write. Anybody have any recommendations for a green that is the color of Noodler's Green that dries a bit quicker and does not feather? I do not need any bulletproof or waterproof properties. If I understand correctly the inks that don't feather as bad are usually thicker which would mean a slower drying time. Am I looking for an impossible combination? HELP!

KrazyIvan
November 20th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I am trying Chesterfield Emerald and it behaves well. It dries in about 10-15 seconds on Rhodia paper. Depending on how cheap the paper is, it with feather a bit. On Miro journal paper (about the same as Leuchtturm 1917) it did not feather or bleed with a fairly wet Serwex MB with flex nib (I did not flex the nib). I am not sure how the shade of green compares to Noodler's Green nor what is the Diamine equivalent ink. Chesterfield Ink is rumored to be repackaged Diamine ink.

Bogon07
November 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
MrClockwork I would recommend taking a look at the GouletPenShop green swabs:
http://www.gouletpens.com/Swab_Shop_Green_s/818.htm

For reference Noodler's Green is about the third row up from the bottom.

I have Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel and am quite impressed with it. It appears to be have slightly more yellow tones than Noodler's Green.

derevaun
November 22nd, 2012, 12:00 AM
I like Diamine Sherwood Green and haven't had smearing or feathering issues with it, though I tend to avoid Rhodia paper because I'm a lefty overwriter. I prefer darker inks (preferring Japanese fine nibs too), and I sometimes add some black to Sherwood Green. I have seen it tend to dry up in a Reform 1745 after a week of disuse, but that's my fault really.

gwgtaylor
November 22nd, 2012, 01:05 AM
+1 for Diamine Sherwood Green. Nice dark shade and Diamine inks are very well behaved. Another I enjoy is Waterman Green. Great shade and amazing ink quality.

MrClockWork
November 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Any thoughts on Private Reserve Spearmint?

harrisrk
January 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM
PR Spearmint is one of my favorite greens. It's a good, solid green, bright but not fluorescent. I haven't noticed any serious problems with drying time, either.

The Good Captain
January 6th, 2013, 01:55 AM
What about Diamine Evergreen or Green-Black? Also, Noodler's Sequoia.

MrClockWork
January 8th, 2013, 10:27 PM
What about Diamine Evergreen or Green-Black? Also, Noodler's Sequoia.

Noodlers Sequoia looks promising. I ave since tried Noodlers new army green and PR spearmint, both of which are a little light for me. I just can't get the shade of Noodlers green out of my head. It may very well be worth sucking up the slow drying time or investing in a blotter at this point.

jfsisler
February 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM
How about J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage? It's a dark kind of St Patrick's day type green.

fountainpenkid
February 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Kelly Green by Diamine has grown on me. It is a great looking ink, but a bit too wet for some papers. No smudging though!

Sailor Kenshin
February 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Try diluting the Noodler's green with water to speed drying time. How much you should add is a matter of experimentation.

Zhivago
February 8th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I've yet to have the feathering issues others have reported with Noodler's BGG. Too bad that the op is having those problems as its water resistance, etc., makes the gator a great ink for work.

There are no shortage of wonderful greens; I've used and liked some of those already mentioned in the thread. Noodler's Zhivago is another one: it ranges from a dark olive green to being almost indistinquishable from black, depending on the pen. And since it is probably now my single favorite ink, I'll have to throw in a plug for Herbin's Vert Empire.

Sailor Kenshin
February 9th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I love VE too. Unfortunately my last three bottles have solidified.

Zhivago
February 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Ooh, that's not good. I have two bottles (one unused) and, knock-on-wood, no problems yet.