PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Danitrio Raw Ebonite Mae West (EF)

zaddick
January 20th, 2016, 12:39 PM
For sale is a rare Danitrio raw ebonite Mae West (Hyotan) with a flexy EF 18K fireball nib (that is the design vs the older T nibs). For those that do not know, these pens were made in very limited numbers about 8 years ago by a specific person in Japan for Danitrio. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, the gentlemen got sick and passed away and the raw ebonite pens are no longer offered by Danitrio or their resellers. I believe there were less than 20 of the raw ebonite pens made in this shape (could be as low as 10), but they are not numbered and seemed to come up for sales sporadically so I cannot be sure of the total number. The pen is a large size, a little shorter than an MB 149 or Pel M 1000, but much curvier and it is fairly light. The pen is a converter filler but can be made into an eye dropper. It has a springy EF nib made by Bock so it is a Western EF, not a Japanese EF.

Like all pens made of hard rubber without a coating, these pens will eventually oxidize with use and exposure to light. This pen has started to change in color a little. Under normal light indoors it looks like an even matte black color, however, under direct sunlight you can see a few areas that are turning brown. This is part of the normal aging of the pen and is not a sign of condition issues with the ebonite.

These pens do not come up for sale often as most people kept them after purchase. I am asking $350 shipped to the US (insurance extra). For pictures please PM me your email and I will send photos and answer any questions. You can find feedback on many of my pen transactions on the Fountain Pen Network. Questions welcomed.

KBeezie
January 21st, 2016, 09:07 AM
That the same pen as this? (though I have the older Jowo "T" Nib that's firm with the hand carved ebonite feed from Japan, was traded to me as 'raw ebonite' but it clearly has a matted urushi layer on it). From my understanding by the time they did the recession urushi, they were still using the Jowo T Nibs, wasn't til a few years later that they switched to the Bock Fireball nib with the plastic feeds.

http://i.imgur.com/w7Yw9jp.jpg

zaddick
January 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM
Hello Karl. Yes, it is the same pen essentially. When new the raw ebonite pens do have almost a bit of a shine to them, but mine is now more of a matte finish now. I thought the kuro-keshi (aka "recession urushi") pens were made later, but I could be wrong. Can you actually see the usushi coating on the inside of the cap or near the section? (They usually leave some brush marks there on the pens.) If not, it could just be a very minty example that has not been exposed to much light.

The fireball nibs from Bock are definitely after the T nibs from Jowo. It is also possible that you pen was put together at a later date from parts on hand. Probably only Kevin (aka windeoc) has the complete story straight and he does not post any more that I have seen.

KBeezie
January 21st, 2016, 10:23 AM
On mine there's the 'drip' marks around the inside of the grip when you unscrew it from the barrel. And my information came from Danitrio when I contacted them attempting to find out more about the pen. Which they said mine was probably about 15 years old, especially because of the Jowo T nib in combination ebonite feed which he said cost them $45 per feed to have made in Japan, and that the recession urushi was applied to prevent the greenish oxidation.

(They were confused at first when I mentioned "Mae West", because he hasn't heard that name in so long, Hyotan being the name of that shape now)

http://i.imgur.com/UNjZzs6.jpg

From my understanding, if you have the unpainted raw (ie: no urushi at all on it), that's quite rare indeed and you got it priced lower than the one I have was priced at (which was also sold as "Raw Ebonite", but clearly has urushi on it).

zaddick
January 21st, 2016, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the clarification. I agree your pen definitely has urushi on it as you show the tell tale signs of the coating.

Yes, I don't know if Maw West was introduced as the nickname for the Western audience, but, as you noted, Hyotan is the proper model name. Mae West is an interesting choice given she was a star so long ago. I would have though Marilyn Monroe would be more current. :)

I like the shape of the pen. I have two others - one urushi and one maki-e. They are more manageable to me than the Mikado although I do love that large nib.

KBeezie
January 21st, 2016, 10:46 AM
Thank you for the clarification. I agree your pen definitely has urushi on it as you show the tell tale signs of the coating.

Yes, I don't know if Maw West was introduced as the nickname for the Western audience, but, as you noted, Hyotan is the proper model name. Mae West is an interesting choice given she was a star so long ago. I would have though Marilyn Monroe would be more current. :)

I like the shape of the pen. I have two others - one urushi and one maki-e. They are more manageable to me than the Mikado although I do love that large nib.

I'm tempted for yours, mainly because I am already familiar with the Hyotan shape and like it, but also because it has the fireball nib and I'm a sucker for springy/flex-ish nibs (especially in western EF). But someone else will have to get it because I do not have the budget to do so (nor would I likely have anything you would want in trade, since I'm assuming you want cash primarily).

Far as "Mae West", I think the name sounded more unique and she actually had the shape shown by the pen. More of a classic name too (Marilyn though, doesn't quite roll off the tongue, and her persona is still politicized even now days).

zaddick
January 21st, 2016, 02:27 PM
Thanks all for your interest. This pen is now sold.