PDA

View Full Version : Sailor, Platinum wetness and line width?

bluesea
January 27th, 2016, 09:38 AM
According to nibs.com the f and ef Sailor nibs, run .02mm wider than that from Platinum.

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

From reading others' experiences, I get the impression Sailor pens run wetter than Platinum, wet enough (it was said) to make noticeable differences in line width in fine and extra fine nibs. Enough to disappoint ef and needlepoint enthusiasts.

How much wetter are Sailor pens? Pelikan wet, Lamy wet? Does Platinum run relatively, slightly dry?

Jon Szanto
January 27th, 2016, 10:06 AM
How much wetter are Sailor pens? Pelikan wet, Lamy wet? Does Platinum run relatively, slightly dry?

I have two Sailors and two Plats always inked up, with nibs that are F, M, and two italics 0.6 and 0.7. They all seem to write to the same degree of wetness, i.e. not too much ink, not too little. When getting down to such very fine tolerances (EF on a Japanese nib), the tiniest variations might get blown out of proportion, and I'm not at all certain one can generalize that Plat are wetter or drier or anything. If it is that critical to get a certain size point with a certain degree of flow, you might consider working directly with someone who will tune the nib for you; beyond that, any guarantee on a blind purchase is all in one's wishes.

katherine
January 27th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I don't own any Platinums (yet? haha) and my only Sailor is a Pro Gear Color, which is a steel nib -- but it runs very dry. I adopted it from a friend who hated how dry it was. She had filled it with Sailor Oku-yama which due to the dryness comes out bright pink.

jar
January 27th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I have found no wetness differences between Sailor and Platinum unless I told the seller to make it wetter than normal. John knows I like them wet.

bluesea
January 27th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Great responses!