PDA

View Full Version : Hello ...or maybe I should say Howdy

Pickwick
January 27th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I have been living in Texas for 4 years now so maybe I should start saying Howdy.

The first time I used fountain pens was in primary school in India when we were learning cursive writing. It started with a dip pen and open ink wells (who gives 6 year olds open containers of colored liquid!). The following year we could bring our own fountain pens and the ones I remember you either filled with a pipette or had a little squeezy thing to pull ink up from the nib (who gives 7 year olds ink guns!). BTW, did I mention our uniforms were white?

After that my family moved somewhere else in India where they were not doing fountain pens. A couple of years after that we moved to USA where there were definitely no fountain pens. I didn't really pay attention to fountain pens until recently. Another online forum (not related to FPs) that I hang out at has a thread for fountain pens. Out of curiosity, I started reading that a couple of months ago and their discussions and pictures were interesting. A few weeks ago I was placing an order with amazon and I threw in a package of Pilot Varsity, just for kicks. I don't know what happened but now I have two Metropolitans, 2 preppys, a bottle of Waterman and one of Noodlers. I also have another preppy and a Lamy Safari with extra nib in the mail from Goulet. Along with this month's Ink Drop. How. This. Happen.

jar
January 27th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

katherine
January 27th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Welcome!

Pens just seem to... multiply. While my wallet shrinks.

Anne
January 27th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Hello and Welcome Pickwick! That is hilarious, but I am happy to hear that you were exposed to fountain pens so young - how nice!
Fountain pens are awesome - they draw you in :) What is your favorite pen and nib, So Far that is...:D?

Hawk
January 27th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Either howdy or hello works fine for us, welcome.

Pickwick
January 27th, 2016, 01:23 PM
I love the Varsity most so far. I got the medium nib and it feels like the pen disappears in my hand and my thoughts just fly onto the paper. I hope that made sense.

I did not like the fine Metro until I found a video about how to use a nail buffer to smooth out the nib. Now it is meh. The Metro medium is also meh but maybe i'll try it with a different ink. I like both my fine and medium preppys though the medium one sometimes feels like I'm writing with an eyedropper or something because the ink seems to pour out. I ordered another preppy to see if I just got a weird one the first time. I'm excited to try the lamy safari when it comes in!

I have been staring at the gold nib pens on websites and videos. I would feel super fanceeee with one of those.
What are some of your favs?

penwash
January 27th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Welcome!
Where in Texas are you? TX is a big place.

Anne
January 27th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I love the Varsity most so far. I got the medium nib and it feels like the pen disappears in my hand and my thoughts just fly onto the paper. I hope that made sense.

I did not like the fine Metro until I found a video about how to use a nail buffer to smooth out the nib. Now it is meh. The Metro medium is also meh but maybe i'll try it with a different ink. I like both my fine and medium preppys though the medium one sometimes feels like I'm writing with an eyedropper or something because the ink seems to pour out. I ordered another preppy to see if I just got a weird one the first time. I'm excited to try the lamy safari when it comes in!

I have been staring at the gold nib pens on websites and videos. I would feel super fanceeee with one of those.
What are some of your favs?

That makes perfect sense.
I still have yet to find a Varsity in one of the stores here. I have heard of people getting some nice, smooth nibs on them and I like the fact that you can use it as an eyedropper when the ink is used up too. A lot of people are happy with their Preppy pens and I have yet to get one of those too - I am behind the times a bit!
I love my Lamy Safari's ( I have the clear/demonstrator version called the Vista ). I have one that stays home and one that I allow out of the house :)
You can really have fun with all of the nib options with it - I hope you find one or more that you love as well!

Wahl
January 27th, 2016, 01:53 PM
:welcome:

Pickwick
January 27th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I'm in Houston but I've been to Plano once. We have some distant family up there. You guys have a pen show in Dallas, right? What is it called so I can look it up and plot an adventure.

ETA: found out it is actually called the Dallas Pen Show. LOL. who woulda thunk it!

jar
January 27th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I'm in Houston but I've been to Plano once. We have some distant family up there. You guys have a pen show in Dallas, right? What is it called so I can look it up and plot an adventure.

Okay, get thee to Dromgoole's. Rice Blvd. Set aside lots of time. Come prepared to fondle.

Pickwick
January 27th, 2016, 02:54 PM
is that a fanceeee place? I would feel weird going by myself.

Jeph
January 27th, 2016, 03:32 PM

jar
January 27th, 2016, 04:22 PM

It is Mecca, and the brothers are good folk. It's not at all a place you could feel weird.

writingrav
January 27th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

penwash
January 27th, 2016, 05:27 PM

ETA: found out it is actually called the Dallas Pen Show. LOL. who woulda thunk it!

Indeed.
You should definitely plan to come to the Pen Show in September.
Prepare to spend at least one whole day, plenty to do here in Big D.

Lady Onogaro
January 27th, 2016, 08:20 PM

You will not feel weird going there by yourself--trust me on this. They are very nice folks.

Lady Onogaro
January 27th, 2016, 08:22 PM
I went to my first pen show last September--the Dallas show. I had a blast and met some of the people on these boards and hung out with them. I can't remember when I have had a better time. I did buy way too much, but I do not regret a single purchase. Best of all, though, was just talking to people.

VertOlive
January 31st, 2016, 07:07 PM
Welcome Pickwick. You have officially fallen down the rabbit hole!

Serendipity
February 1st, 2016, 12:19 PM
Welcome to FPG! Uh oh... now you're for it. In the nicest sense of course! And remember, we don't 'spiral' out of control here, we flourish! :)

KKay
February 1st, 2016, 11:22 PM
Pickwick welcome aboard! I was born in Texas, and I don't recall hearing anyone say howdy. But maybe they do in some parts. I am from East TX. Sounds like you need a couple of good pens! If you browse the forum you will see a lot of opinions on pens, ink, paper, and all kinds of stuff. There are some major enablers on this forum, so be warned...grin. I'm not gonna name any names, but believe me, they are out there. I just started in fountain pens in September of 2015. I am still trying to learn the ropes. There is a lot of info to take in. I am sure you will feel right at home in no time at all.

Morgaine
February 3rd, 2016, 04:34 AM
Hello and welcome!

Frank
February 3rd, 2016, 07:58 AM

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Another one from the Holy Land! TEXAS!

Welcome!

Bisquitlips <---- TEXAS BORN! Yes... I am a cowboy, know how to milk a cow, treat a calf for scours, castrate a bull, horseshoe a horse, rope a stump, chop cotton, wipe my butt successfully with a maze leaf, move irrigation pipe, hunt for my dinner, and pen a page or two of poetry to my beautiful wife of 20 years. And she is still breathtaking!

Glad you are here!

Bisquitlips
February 6th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Welcome to FP Geeks!

We are sincerely glad you are here with us.

We love photos of pens and the various sundries, knowledge, and banter!

Thank you for deciding to join us!

Richard