PDA

View Full Version : What the world has come to :) ;) ;0

fountainpenkid
November 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/1724263?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Tracy Lee
November 25th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Bothers me too, a lot. The 16 year old that thinks thank you's are emails has really missed the boat and an opportunity to set herself really apart.I have been a lawyer for 20 years, I love my Droid to pieces, and I love my tablet more. But every single day I write, I write letters and lists and all my notes in meetings. I send notes to coworkers and clients that I have worked projects with. There is plenty of room left in this world to keep that wonderful balance of high tech and old tech. I cannot imagine my life without my fountain pens. Others around me have begun to see the great value, and one manager even went and bought her own fountain pen, then another. The missing cognitive ability is there in the typing of so many young people. I have seen some atrocious spelling and grammar from my nieces, one of whom is a sophomore at Cal Poly. If they think its the same then I weep for the future of our country.

fountainpenkid
November 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Bothers me too, a lot. The 16 year old that thinks thank you's are emails has really missed the boat and an opportunity to set herself really apart.I have been a lawyer for 20 years, I love my Droid to pieces, and I love my tablet more. But every single day I write, I write letters and lists and all my notes in meetings. I send notes to coworkers and clients that I have worked projects with. There is plenty of room left in this world to keep that wonderful balance of high tech and old tech. I cannot imagine my life without my fountain pens. Others around me have begun to see the great value, and one manager even went and bought her own fountain pen, then another. The missing cognitive ability is there in the typing of so many young people. I have seen some atrocious spelling and grammar from my nieces, one of whom is a sophomore at Cal Poly. If they think its the same then I weep for the future of our country.

agreed. Spelling is not considered important anymore because "auto correct" will help you out. So what if you don't have auto correct? Why people would not want to know how to properly use their own language is beyond me. Even on online newspapers, you will see shit like the misuse of "they're!!" REALLY? These people write for a living and their articles are so badly edited (if at all) that they have spelling and grammar mistakes peeking out from every corner...

FP_GaF
November 25th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Same here in Europe. Even on the BBC website. I have argued that good and thorough editing is a must, no matter what medium is used, but my colleagues disagree. They argue that a Blog or a news site does not need it. People don't care about their language anymore while I think that sloppy spelling and grammar is a sign of sloppy thinking. A language evolves over time, yes, but without rules it loses meaning.

auto winder
November 26th, 2012, 03:03 AM
... but without rules it looses meaning.
looses -> loses ? :confused: ;)
And I completely agree with you, attention to proper spelling and grammar is much too rare these days...

peterpen53
November 26th, 2012, 03:23 AM
It is a known fact that on Dutch universities law students (Tracy Lee take note) get supplemental language courses because their skills in their native Dutch language are insufficient to properly draft legal papers. I think this is not just to blame on the time they spend with electronic devices but also the lack of attention the school system gives to properly teaching language (and not only Dutch).
And I could go on endlessly about the failures of autocorrect.

FP_GaF
November 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM
looses -> loses

where is the proof that it ever happened? :D

snedwos
November 26th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Having tablets in schools does allow teachers do do things they would not be able to with only pen and paper, they are an immensely powerful teaching tool. I don't think they have to replace handwriting, and they probably won't just yet. It doesn't have to be a choice between the two.

My mother has recently been given an iPad by school, and a number of them have been bought for the children, and she loves it. On the other hand, I gave her a Lamy Safari and a bottle of Diamine Claret, which she uses to mark. The children love it, and she lets them borrow it as a reward.

Also, FPGaf:

People don't care about there language anymore :angel:

fountainpenkid
November 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I think new technologies are great, don't get me wrong! I just think that writing and grammar are still important...

Tracy Lee
November 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
It is a known fact that on Dutch universities law students (Tracy Lee take note) get supplemental language courses because their skills in their native Dutch language are insufficient to properly draft legal papers. I think this is not just to blame on the time they spend with electronic devices but also the lack of attention the school system gives to properly teaching language (and not only Dutch).
And I could go on endlessly about the failures of autocorrect.

Would it be wrong here to say "I rest my case" ?

Tracy Lee
November 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
What is that quote? Good grammar is the the difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. I just think kids are getting the short end of things, when it is perfectly possible, even ideal, to do a bit of everything. My friend at work has three young ones and handwriting has been dropped from their school requirements. He just smiles and said he makes them do it at home. His son has to draft school papers by hand, or at least outline prior to typing. I love it!!

KrazyIvan
November 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I do my hand written blog post always knowing that I probably messed up pretty bad and more than once. I forge ahead anyway.

FP_GaF
November 26th, 2012, 11:40 PM
D'oh! :banghead: :D

KrazyIvan
November 27th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I know. :cry: :redface: I think I am improving with time but something always slips past. There it is for all the world to see. I'm over it now. :p

fountainpenkid
November 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Would it be wrong here to say "I rest my case" ?

Yes :)