PDA

View Full Version : Another hello from England

Cornholio
January 28th, 2016, 03:40 AM
Hello all!

I've been coming here as a guest for a while. However, Vanessa's recent greeting has inspired me to sign up and say hello, as I too am from the fair City of Nottingham.

Being of a certain age I am not new to fountain pens - we were encouraged to use them at junior school. Although I've been writing with them for the best part of forty years, I've never really paid them much attention. I'm now starting to take a bit more interest, and feel that if I'm not careful I may start to develop something of a collection!

My present humble tally is as follows:

- 1980s Papermate - lives on my desk at work
- Parker Frontier - nice for relaxed letter writing
- Parker IM - carried in my shoulder bag
- Platinum Kanazawa-Haku Changing Autumn Leaf - new addition (a very pleasant Christmas present!)
- Old Sheaffer calligraphy pen

Nothing special there, of course, but the Platinum has given me an inclination to explore the finer Maki-e pens.

I'll probably pop up asking silly questions every now and then. Thank you all for your collected wisdom in this excellent resource.

Cheers!

Gavin.

RuiFromUK
January 28th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum Gavin.

Have fun in the forum like all of us do.

writingrav
January 28th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

jar
January 28th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I really like the Platinum Modern Maki-e style pens and recently compared one to an ST Dupont Classique.

Lady Onogaro
January 28th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Hi, Gavin! :welcome:

Cornholio
January 28th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Thank you all! :)

Anne
January 28th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Hello and Welcome Gavin! You Do have a special collection, and, well - it Will most likely Grow.
But that's a good thing and it happens to the best of us:D

KKay
January 28th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Welcome Gavin. There are a bunch of enablers around here. Don't say you weren't warned...lol!! Glad to have you with us!

Jeph
January 28th, 2016, 04:14 PM
:welcome:

Cornholio
January 29th, 2016, 04:31 PM
My, this is a nice and friendly forum. Cheers!

Morgaine
January 29th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Hello and welcome. Stopped off in Nottingham on the way back from visiting, and there was a "beach" on the square!

Hawk
January 29th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Welcome.

Wahl
January 31st, 2016, 09:40 AM
Hi Gavin, :welcome:

Frank
January 31st, 2016, 11:56 AM
:welcome:

VertOlive
January 31st, 2016, 06:25 PM
Welcome to you and your pens!

Cornholio
February 1st, 2016, 05:13 AM
Stopped off in Nottingham on the way back from visiting, and there was a "beach" on the square!

That will be us :)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02286/nottingham-beach_2286065k.jpg

Serendipity
February 1st, 2016, 12:34 PM
Welcome, Gavin, it's nice to meet someone so close to home! I'm so glad you joined us and that you felt inspired to do so. But you have set me off already with your "Platinum Kanazawa-Haku Changing Autumn Leaf" which I just had to look up... and have bookmarked that and the cherry blossom model. I love nature and these are beautiful designs. There is a pen shop in town but I haven't visited yet. I'm sure it would distract my wages away from the bills. I need to keep some kind of grip and not just above the nib. :) Lovely to have you here, who else could look at a beach scene in the city centre in summer and an ice rink in the winter and not blink twice?! :)

Cornholio
February 1st, 2016, 02:08 PM
Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for your reply. I can certainly recommend the Platinum Kanazawa-Haku pen. It is lovely, and was 'only' 84 pounds from cultpens. I went for the fine nib, which is a new experience for me. I can't stop practicing my teeny-weeny writing. Super!

I popped into Pen Sense to buy a case for the Platinum. They have oodles of Montblanc and similar, well out of my price range. However, I guess it's nice to have somewhere local that sells a decent range of accessories.

Cheers!

Gavin.