PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy? (USPS International Stamps)

Silverbreeze
January 31st, 2016, 07:45 PM
I think USPS has stop selling the Single Stamp international First Class.... Only place I can find them is Amazon

Am I going nuts?

Also is my Math Correct and the First Class to International Add on stamp is now the Shollowtail Butterfly stamp

caribbean_skye
January 31st, 2016, 08:03 PM
i didnt see them on the website the other day, will check at the local post office and see what they say

gbryal
January 31st, 2016, 08:10 PM
I guess they are clearing their stock for the 2016 moon ones. I looked all over a couple of nights ago and couldn't find them, at least in the postage store part.

mrcharlie
January 31st, 2016, 09:16 PM
I think USPS has stop selling the Single Stamp international First Class.... Only place I can find them is Amazon

Am I going nuts?

Also is my Math Correct and the First Class to International Add on stamp is now the Shollowtail Butterfly stamp

They aren't there in the online store right now. Surprising.

Your math is correct; either the Butterfly stamp or any of the "two ounce" stamps plus any "forever" stamp = international at this time.

writingrav
January 31st, 2016, 09:24 PM

Am I going nuts?

They aren't there in the online store right now. Surprising.

Your math is correct; either the Butterfly stamp or any of the "two ounce" stamps plus any "forever" stamp = international at this time.

You can also buy $1.00 stamps and add to 10 cent stamps. The new design for the global stamps has been announced, but not the release date.

Dreck
February 1st, 2016, 05:57 AM
The goodly folk at our local PO claim they've been told stock is depleted nationwide. This, they say, is indicative of an imminent price increase.

Silverbreeze
February 1st, 2016, 06:10 AM
They did increase international is now 1.20 USD

sgtstretch
February 1st, 2016, 07:12 AM
The goodly folk at our local PO claim they've been told stock is depleted nationwide. This, they say, is indicative of an imminent price increase.

But why would a price increase make them deplete stock? I can understand if they still printed the dollar amount on the stamps, but they don't. Global stamps just say Global Forever.

Silverbreeze
February 1st, 2016, 07:33 AM

But why would a price increase make them deplete stock? I can understand if they still printed the dollar amount on the stamps, but they don't. Global stamps just say Global Forever.

Exactly

Forced Scarcity????

Though you would think their Trends map would tell them February and December are the biggest global 1st class months

Chrissy
February 1st, 2016, 10:18 AM
In the UK we can buy slightly cheaper stamps online from sellers like Philatelink. It's a bit of a saving over Post Office prices. Can you do that in the US?

I receive letters and postcards with circular Forever stamps on them. I assumed that if you 'stocked up' they could be used after price increases, like our 1st or 2nd class stamps can.

sgtstretch
February 1st, 2016, 10:24 AM
In the UK we can buy slightly cheaper stamps online from sellers like Philatelink. It's a bit of a saving over Post Office prices. Can you do that in the US?

I receive letters and postcards with circular Forever stamps on them. I assumed that if you 'stocked up' they could be used after price increases, like our 1st or 2nd class stamps can.

Yeah any Forever stamp is worth whatever the current value of Forever is. So the smaller Forever stamps are currently worth $0.49, and when the price increases (or decreases, fat chance) they'll be worth that value. The circular Global Forevers are the same way, currently worth $1.20.

I wish I could buy them cheaper from other sellers. I've only ever seen people charge more for them.

Chrissy
February 1st, 2016, 10:42 AM
The first thing I would do is check out how much they are on ebay. Stamp sellers often sell MNH or unused stamps for less than Post Office prices if you are prepared to buy a few

Dreck
February 1st, 2016, 10:44 AM

Exactly

Forced Scarcity????

Though you would think their Trends map would tell them February and December are the biggest global 1st class months

I didn't make sense to me, either. They don't do this when we get 1st class domestic price increases, but 2 employees with over 40 years' experience both said that's the case. Our local branch ran out before Christmas.

Silverbreeze
February 1st, 2016, 11:04 AM

Yeah any Forever stamp is worth whatever the current value of Forever is. So the smaller Forever stamps are currently worth $0.49, and when the price increases (or decreases, fat chance) they'll be worth that value. The circular Global Forevers are the same way, currently worth $1.20.

I wish I could buy them cheaper from other sellers. I've only ever seen people charge more for them.

Stamps.com used to have a discount it's gone now

writingrav
February 1st, 2016, 11:31 AM

Now you know why there's a scarcity. If the price goes beyond $1.20 then the fewer people who can get hold of and hoard the previous Forever stamps the fewer people who can avoid the new price.

mrcharlie
April 5th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Okay; this April 10 price change (http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2016/pr16_009.htm) is even crazier.

I have so far avoided buying the new stamps ... and it looks like I'll have saved money, as USPS prices are going to go down in a few days, barring some emergency court or congressional action to stop it (which the USPS would like to happen).

On April 10, prices are set to roll back to $0.47 domestic one ounce, $0.21 domestic second ounce, $0.34 postcard, and $1.15 international one ounce. The math of 2 forever + 1 additional ounce = 1 global forever and 1 forever + 1 two ounce = 1 global forever still works.

Chrissy
April 6th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Wow! Stamp prices actually going down? :crazy:

That will never happen with Royal Mail. Ours have just gone up. Again.....

sharmon202
April 6th, 2016, 11:45 AM
As some have said, this does not make sense. Where is the gap in information or cause for this?

mrcharlie
April 7th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Where is the gap in information or cause for this?

The last couple price increases were "temporary" and above the overall rate of inflation, which apparently USPS prices are supposed to be indexed to. Once the USPS raises the amount of "extra" funding targeted by the temporary increases, they are obliged to drop back to inflation indexed prices. They are projected to hit their cap by April 10, 2016. The USPS was hoping to have the increases made permanent, but as far as I could tell that hasn't happened so far.

Pendragon
June 5th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Now you can moon the world...

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_589204