PDA

View Full Version : KWZ inks in vintage pens?

AzJon
February 1st, 2016, 04:58 PM
Anyone use KWZ inks in a lever filler? I really like the "Honey" color, but always err on the side of caution where ink sacs are involved. Any experiences?

Anne
February 1st, 2016, 09:26 PM
I can't find the color "Honey" on their site, but I do like their Brown ( 4603 ).
Is the color you are looking at an Iron Gall Ink?

Jon Szanto
February 1st, 2016, 09:57 PM
You might consider sending an email to the people at Vanness pen, who (to my knowledge) are the only people carrying it in the U.S. I'm willing to bet they can give you some guidance on it's use in vintage pens.

AzJon
February 1st, 2016, 10:40 PM
Emailing Vanness was my next step. Figured what the hivemind..er...the FPGeekosphere could muster.

penwash
February 2nd, 2016, 06:29 AM
I will not use the IG version of the KWZ inks on my vintage pens.
But I will use the Standard version of their inks on my vintage pens. In fact, a sample of the KWZ Standard Gold-Green is being shipped to me at the moment.

penwash
February 2nd, 2016, 06:31 AM
Emailing Vanness was my next step. Figured what the hivemind..er...the FPGeekosphere could muster.

If you're a facebook user, go to Vanness page and message them.
They respond quickly the last time I ask them this way.

RudyR
February 2nd, 2016, 11:31 AM
Don't see the harm using Iron Gall inks in a vintage pen since they were used in vintage pens when they were new. It cleans out easily and wont clog your feed if you use that pen regularly. I would be more wary of the highly saturated inks or inks with questionable chemistry (Noodlers for one).

dr.grace
February 2nd, 2016, 01:38 PM
And it's usually not difficult to replace the sac on a lever filler, in the unlikely event that the sac becomes degraded. The only issues for me would be if there's a visualated area in the barrel or section that could be stained, or if the feed is easily clogged.

TSherbs
February 2nd, 2016, 03:50 PM
Don't see the harm using Iron Gall inks in a vintage pen since they were used in vintage pens when they were new. It cleans out easily and wont clog your feed if you use that pen regularly. I would be more wary of the highly saturated inks or inks with questionable chemistry (Noodlers for one).

What does "questionable chemistry" mean?

Jon Szanto
February 2nd, 2016, 03:59 PM

I imagine it's a euphemism for "inks that might fuck up your pen".

RudyR
February 2nd, 2016, 05:23 PM

See, I wanted to say that but couldn't put it as clearly as that.

Jon Szanto
February 2nd, 2016, 05:48 PM

See, I wanted to say that but couldn't put it as clearly as that.

I do what I can. ;)

AzJon
February 2nd, 2016, 08:54 PM
Yes, it's the "questionable chemistry" of...newer...ink brands that make me a bit more cautious. that being said, it's an ebonite pen, so don't think any ink is going to screw up the actual barrel/feed. Vanness Pens said they have had no problems and KWZ also said they hadn't heard of any problems from their inks (including IG). Honey, here I come! :D