PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Converters

writingrav
February 6th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Does anyone else have problems with converters that come in Platinum and Nakaya pens? I find that in my Platinum Century 3776 and Nakaya Piccolo I have to advance the nib by hand often.

gordyt
February 6th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Writingrav I also have a Platinum 3776 Century--in fact it is in my current EDC--and I have not had any issues with the converter. Mine has a medium nib, if that makes any difference. I will say that the medium in this pen is the "finest" medium I have ever used!

Miss Fountain Pen
February 6th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I have four Platinums and five Nakayas. I use converters in all of them, and I haven't had any trouble with them. Maybe it's because of the ink you're using? My Platinums and Nakayas are inked up with Aurora Black and various Iroshizuku and Sailor inks, and as I said, I haven't had any problems.

jar
February 6th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I use Platinum converters in my Platinum, Nakaya and older Aurora C/C pens and have never had that issue. I do clean out converters of all kinds with water that has one drop of dish detergent added before putting them in use.

What inks are you using?

Have you switched to a cartridge to see if the problem goes away?

writingrav
February 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I have four Platinums and five Nakayas. I use converters in all of them, and I haven't had any trouble with them. Maybe it's because of the ink you're using? My Platinums and Nakayas are inked up with Aurora Black and various Iroshizuku and Sailor inks, and as I said, I haven't had any problems.
I've been using Sailor Tokiwa-matsu exclusively in the Nakaya. The Platinum more promiscuous ink-wise. Guess it's just me.

katherine
February 6th, 2016, 07:46 PM
What do you mean by "advance the nib by hand"?

My 3776 occasionally runs dry if I've been storing it nib up for a while and it takes a gentle turn or two of the converter twisty bit to get it restarted.

earthdawn
February 6th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I have a bunch of pens using the Platinum converters as well and no issues.

Even the silly Shimmertastic inks have not buggered up anything.

Is it just 1 pen thats having a problem?

KBeezie
February 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I avoid having to 'force' the ink up by the converter, usually that's a sign of a pen with an improperly set nib/feed or one that needs tuning to promote capillary action.

I do use a converter in my Nakaya Piccolo, but just like my Danitrio if I don't use it for a couple of days it will be a hard start, but it's mainly just a matter of waiting a few seconds for the ink to catch up (usually no more than 30 seconds in a case of having one upright for a few days).

But yea, I don't force the ink with the converter, I see that as a sign of a defect/problem (or excessively dry ink if it happens quite regularly from just that ink).

writingrav
February 6th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks all. I'll try some different inks.

bertcarson
February 6th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Today I had the converter in a 6 or 7 year old 3776 lock up - luckily I had an extra one in stock. I'll order another before the day is over, just in case.

Lady Onogaro
February 6th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Today I had the converter in a 6 or 7 year old 3776 lock up - luckily I had an extra one in stock. I'll order another before the day is over, just in case.

Hey, Bert--Good to see you!

KBeezie
February 7th, 2016, 12:06 AM

Lock up? Not something you can just re-grease or is it the little rod that's damaged? (though at $5 to $8 for a converter, can't hurt to replace them anew after 3+ years.)

writingrav
February 7th, 2016, 11:08 AM

Hey, Bert--Good to see you!
Ditto