PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy a bb nib with any new MB?

-kk-
February 7th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone, that might seem like a dumb question but I was wondering if its possible to purchase brand new MB pens 146 or 149 with BB nib?

I can't see any reference to nibs that are not F,M and B when looking at MB pens. There are a couple of options on eBay (a 145, and used 149 both with BB) but for this price point, and being my first very expensive pen Id rather a) buy new and b) be able to test it out first.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you can let me know the width of a B vs BB that would be even better. Ultimately, what Im after is a cursive italic nib of between 1.3-1.5mm. so starting with a BB should give me good width and I'll send it to someone (probably Pendleton) to get the BLS treatment.

Cheers,
Kelvin

jar
February 7th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Yes, and in addition if you buy new from an authorized dealer you can get the nib changed out for free within the first six weeks.

-kk-
February 7th, 2016, 08:00 PM
So if i buy it online from a non authorised dealer, presumably I'll have to pay a fee for the nib swap, but I can still do the swap - is that right?

jar
February 7th, 2016, 08:01 PM
So if i buy it online from a non authorised dealer, presumably I'll have to pay a fee for the nib swap, but I can still do the swap - is that right?

No idea but the fee will likely be about the same as the pen.

gerigo
February 17th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I believe you can still walk into a Mont blanc boutique and purchase a 146 and 149 with a BB nib. Officially Mont blanc stopped the practice of carrying more unusual sizes such as BB nibs for at least a year but sales of these unusual nib sizes are not as in demand as the regular F and M. So chances of getting them are still high. It also depends on where you are. I think in Europe, especially in Germany, it's still quite easy to get these nib sizes. Less so the further you get from Germany.

As Jar said, if the store does not have said nib size in stock, they can usually send the pen in for a nib exchange for you. It's not an ideal situation for the customer to be unable to walk out of the store after spending what is an inordinately large sum of money to not enjoy instant gratification. But at least the option is there. If you purchased the pen online, you can still send in the pen directly to Mont blancs Texas service center, and they would change the nib for you for free if this is done within the 6 weeks grace period.

Hope this helps.

Chrissy
February 17th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I can confirm that my best friend and I walked into a London Mb boutique, and she walked out with a brand new 149 that had a BB nib. :)

-kk-
February 17th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I am in New Zealand which is probably as far as you can get from Germany (any further and you'll actually be getting closer again!). Having said that I will be in Germany for a month around Easter time and would be very keen to check them out there.

Chrissy
February 18th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I am in New Zealand which is probably as far as you can get from Germany (any further and you'll actually be getting closer again!). Having said that I will be in Germany for a month around Easter time and would be very keen to check them out there.
IMHO Getting a Montblanc 149 with a BB nib in Germany should be really easy. :)

RuiFromUK
February 18th, 2016, 03:05 AM
If I were you I would email MB to get the information, including costs involved as Jar mentioned, before getting to Germany and get disappointed since you are buying the pen from a non authorised dealer.

You did not mention which city you are going to in Germany but all the MB boutiques I have visited in Germany or UK carry a set of MB 149 fountain pens with all the different types of nibs they manufacture where one can test all the nibs and visualise the writing differences there and then.

lowks
February 18th, 2016, 07:16 PM

I am in Malaysia [emoji26]

Chrissy
February 20th, 2016, 01:10 AM
If I were you I would email MB to get the information, including costs involved as Jar mentioned, before getting to Germany and get disappointed since you are buying the pen from a non authorised dealer.

You did not mention which city you are going to in Germany but all the MB boutiques I have visited in Germany or UK carry a set of MB 149 fountain pens with all the different types of nibs they manufacture where one can test all the nibs and visualise the writing differences there and then.

The boxed sets of pens with all of the nib sizes that you can try in boutiques are always 146 sized pens. But the nibs will give you a similar line width to those that come with the 149

Cyril
October 4th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I have a Montblanc 146 with a Medium Nib.
I looking for Fine nib or extra fine nib to change with the Medium or grind that nib to a fine Italic or cursive Italic Any body has a suggestion?