PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Brooklyn!

Pentode
February 11th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Hello all,

I became a member here, technically, in 2014 but all I did was lurk a bit. After writing my first response to a post yesterday, I figured it was only polite to introduce myself.

I've been using fountain pens on-again-off-again since I was a kid in the '70s. My grandfather owned a printing company/stationary store on lower Broadway in Manhattan from the '50s until sometime in the early '80s, so there were always pens, pencils and office/art supplies of all flavors kicking around my house growing up. Among them were always some Sheaffer No-Nonsense and Parker 45 FPs (the typical stationary store pens of the era) as well as a bunch of Esterbrooks in various states of repair.

I used those through grade school, switched to ball points in high school and college (Jotters from the store, of course!) and started using the old FPs again while traveling for work in the nineties. That time saw me buying a lot of pens as travel souvenirs as well as my first "good" pen; a Pelikan M600, which wrote many, many long letters home.

I don't know that I would call myself a full-blown "collector" as I don't really have any specific goals as far as buying pens go, but I have about two dozen good writers - some vintage and some not - and, since I don't travel much anymore and have less need to write eight-page letters, they mostly get used for day-to-day check writing and to-do lists. I just like using them.

Anyhoo - I ramble. Glad to be here and look forward to participating a little more than I have so far.

-Pentode

jar
February 11th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Morgaine
February 11th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Hello and welcome

Hawk
February 11th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Welcome, new-old member.

Anne
February 11th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Welcome Pentode! So, what is your favorite pen/nib so far then?

writingrav
February 11th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

Lady Onogaro
February 11th, 2016, 03:33 PM
:welcome:

Jeph
February 11th, 2016, 03:51 PM

Bisquitlips
February 11th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Welcome from Missouri!

Very glad you are with us!

earthdawn
February 12th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Welcome & great to have you here.

Do you ever goto the Long Island Pen show in March ?

Pentode
February 12th, 2016, 04:41 AM
Welcome Pentode! So, what is your favorite pen/nib so far then?

The circa '95 Pelikan M600 rules the roost as of now. I have a lot of time in on that pen.

Pentode
February 12th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Do you ever goto the Long Island Pen show in March ?
Not as of yet, but I'm not ruling anything out!

distracted_mom
February 12th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Welcome, Pentode! If you're looking for an excuse to use them more, you can always jump in on InCoWriMo! There's a thread for the 2016 write-a-letter-every-day-in-February challenge!

Wahl
February 14th, 2016, 08:55 AM

Waltman
February 15th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Hi Pentode,

Welcome, lots of nice and knowledgeable people here, enjoy!!

Walt

sweetnightingale
February 15th, 2016, 09:02 AM
:welcome: to the jungle. :) You are SO lucky to have had access to such a store. If my grandparents or anyone in my family owned such a place, I think I would have died and gone to Heaven. :D

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

Marsilius
February 15th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Welcome!

Pentode
February 17th, 2016, 08:28 AM
You are SO lucky to have had access to such a store. If my grandparents or anyone in my family owned such a place, I think I would have died and gone to Heaven.
I was too young to appreciate it for what it was. I was probably around 13 when he sold his half of the store to his partner and retired. All I knew is that we had an awful lot of office supplies around the house. It never really occurred to me that other people didn't! Along the same line of thinking, most everyone had already switched to using ballpoint pens years before, but there were FPs in the house from the store. I didn't think much about it; they were just another kind of pen and they looked cool, so I inked them up and used them.

southpaw52
February 17th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Welcome glad to have you on broad.