PDA

View Full Version : Hi there - from Quebec

dam
February 17th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Hello,
After reading a new thread titled "Naming and shaming" on the fpn, I just tought I'd lurked here long enough (sorry, I can't manage to include the link to the thread - maybe someone else can). The owner and a mod explain to members they will only tolerate the telling of happy anecdotes. So here I am. Honest discussion of pens is more valuable to me than glowing reviews of... everything.

distracted_mom
February 17th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Welcome! I'm pretty much a "glass is half-full" person, so while I will be honest, I tend to avoid the bashing.
Glad to have you here!

Anne
February 17th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Hello and Welcome!

Marsilius
February 18th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Welcome! Bienvenue! Bashing not necessary here, but neither is whitewash, and discussion is definitely open. I find that you get a pretty clear sense here of whom you can trust, and I find it much more relaxing here than many other places, real and virtual!

jar
February 18th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

dam
February 18th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Thanks. My intention is certainly not to bash anyone! However, I no longer find it acceptable that the other forum only tolerate very mild criticisms and tepid discussions instead of accurate and honest conversations - that kind of defeats the purpose of a forum, does it not? I'm glad it's not the case here.
The phrase form a mod that got me was: "If however you would describe the good points on that pen, and also note there was one small problem and that you hope that was incidental to that 1 pen, you give a fairly objective account of the situation. We will allow that." Kid gloves, anyone?
Anyways, glad to be here.

distracted_mom
February 18th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Ha! "That you hope was incidental"
You're even being coached as to the words to use. That's just silly.

jar
February 18th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Thanks. My intention is certainly not to bash anyone! However, I no longer find it acceptable that the other forum only tolerate very mild criticisms and tepid discussions instead of accurate and honest conversations - that kind of defeats the purpose of a forum, does it not? I'm glad it's not the case here.
The phrase form a mod that got me was: "If however you would describe the good points on that pen, and also note there was one small problem and that you hope that was incidental to that 1 pen, you give a fairly objective account of the situation. We will allow that." Kid gloves, anyone?
Anyways, glad to be here.

Not kid gloves rather basic courtesy. As my mom always said, "If you can't say something nice then perhaps you should not say anything at all."

For example, saying "Montblanc pens are junk and overpriced ripoffs" is not just silly, it has no value or content. To say "I bought a Montblanc 149 and when it arrived the nib was misaligned." would be fine. You should expect to hear questions about the details such as "Did you buy it new from an authorized dealer or a Montblanc Boutique?" and "Have you contacted the seller to try to resolve the problem?".

My experience is that far too often "accurate and honest conversations" are in reality simply unsupported assertion, innuendo and allegations.

Wahl
February 18th, 2016, 11:07 AM
:welcome:

Jeph
February 18th, 2016, 03:34 PM

writingrav
February 18th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the free-for-all madness. Indulge!

southpaw52
February 18th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Welcome, fellow fp geek.

Lady Onogaro
February 18th, 2016, 09:34 PM

Hawk
February 19th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Welcome.

Waltman
February 24th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Bienvenue,

Welcome, lots of nice and knowledgeable people here, enjoy. I myself am a more glass slightly more half full but I appreciate honesty!

Kind regards,
Walt