PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned | InCoWriMo2016

distracted_mom
February 18th, 2016, 08:53 PM
A little over halfway through my first InCo and here are the things I have learned so far:

1. This might be better than Christmas Card season since I have no idea what you are going to write to me about. I know most of the Christmas cards are going to be a family photo with no personal greeting. Boring. Appreciated, but boring.

2. I need better paper. Some of the inks on some of the papers are so gorgeous that I just sit and study them.

3. I need to up my envelope game.

4. I really like it when people include the pen, ink and paper info.

5. I think I have found my people. ;)

Lady Onogaro
February 18th, 2016, 09:19 PM
JBB Pens has some very nice paper (onion skin, Crane's distaff, etc.).

Make envelopes from old calendars. Or from magazines or any papers. They are cool and easy to do. You can buy an envelope maker at Michael's, or templates at Paper Source or JetPens.

Chrissy
February 19th, 2016, 01:54 AM

Make envelopes from old calendars. Or from magazines or any papers. They are cool and easy to do. You can buy an envelope maker at Michael's, or templates at Paper Source or JetPens.

Or Hobby Lobby. :)

Morgaine
February 19th, 2016, 04:33 AM
I bought my envie maker from Amazon! I have to be in an envie-making mood. Still got some festive paper envies left.... dare I use them? I suppose the more wintery than festive designs could be!

Sometimes, if you surprise a person with a letter, they also do the same to you and the letters wave to each other in transit!

Silverbreeze
February 19th, 2016, 04:41 AM
I bought my envie maker from Amazon! I have to be in an envie-making mood. Still got some festive paper envies left.... dare I use them? I suppose the more wintery than festive designs could be!

Sometimes, if you surprise a person with a letter, they also do the same to you and the letters wave to each other in transit!

That passing in the night thing happens to me and some of my pen pal who write oftener the average

Bri
February 19th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Next time I'll make better nous on who I write because I wrote a bunch at the beginning, then couldn't remember who I wrote when I replied to letters I received. I'd also like to ensure that I write with different ink the second time I write somebody. I too love when the ink and pen/nib are documented.

Silverbreeze
February 19th, 2016, 05:01 AM
A little over halfway through my first InCo and here are the things I have learned so far:

1. This might be better than Christmas Card season since I have no idea what you are going to write to me about. I know most of the Christmas cards are going to be a family photo with no personal greeting. Boring. Appreciated, but boring.

2. I need better paper. Some of the inks on some of the papers are so gorgeous that I just sit and study them.

3. I need to up my envelope game.

4. I really like it when people include the pen, ink and paper info.

5. I think I have found my people. ;)

If you don't want to buy Correspondence writing tablets (like what the Goulets and Andersons sell)
You can buy reams of 24lb or better paper.

I am partial to Southworth Parchment
Box of 500 is about $25. And if you fold it in half top to bottom and rotate it you have a size close to the A5 tablets that fits nice into a #6 envelope.

Can't take credit for the folding idea Ira Stone taught me

distracted_mom
February 19th, 2016, 06:19 AM

Isn't life funny sometimes? :)

distracted_mom
February 19th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Next time I'll make better nous on who I write because I wrote a bunch at the beginning, then couldn't remember who I wrote when I replied to letters I received. I'd also like to ensure that I write with different ink the second time I write somebody. I too love when the ink and pen/nib are documented.

Oooh! I didn't think about documenting the inks I use. I started the month with just a list of daily recipients. And then I realized I needed to make a few short notes so I could remember what I wrote about, so now each recipient has a page in a small notebook. Am I going to need an entire new notebook to track this? I mean, if I am going to track this, I should do it right... ;)
(My husband has long since given up questioning my pen and paper purchases!)

Bri
February 19th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Oooh! I didn't think about documenting the inks I use. I started the month with just a list of daily recipients. And then I realized I needed to make a few short notes so I could remember what I wrote about, so now each recipient has a page in a small notebook. Am I going to need an entire new notebook to track this? I mean, if I am going to track this, I should do it right... ;)
(My husband has long since given up questioning my pen and paper purchases!)
a whole, entire notebook! I agree.

mailartist
February 19th, 2016, 08:04 AM

If you need to go cheap, you can search for and print out envelope templates (online, lots of different sizes available). I trace those onto poster board, cut the template out, and trace around those.

It generally is a good idea, though, to not skimp on tape/glue for homemade envelopes. I have learned that it's especially important to reinforce any folded seams. I generally do that with a strip of good tape on the inside of the envelope, right along the fold. While some homemade envelopes arrive without a scratch, others have almost exploded during transit, and the weak spot appears to be seams and flaps.

sweetnightingale
February 19th, 2016, 09:16 AM
It's fun when the paper, ink, and pen are documented. I should do more of that. I document the ink but need to do that for the pens and paper I send letters with. For paper, I've been using my loose sheets of Tomoe River paper. :)

I never thought of making home made envelopes, but that could be a fun project. Lots of creativity there. :) Been just using regular envelopes but each one gets a wax seal.

Dreck
February 19th, 2016, 11:51 AM

An envelope maker? What is this strange beast of which you speak? I just fold my own around the letter and use double-sided tape.

ShannPens
February 19th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Learned to check my ink level before I leave home when I'm bringing my letter writing supplies to work. Had to switch pens and inks mid sentence twice this week! Sorry recipients!

Chrissy
February 19th, 2016, 05:33 PM
When I was in FL last September, I bought my envelope maker from Hobby Lobby. I also bought several sticks of white glue, a thick book of about 100 sheets of beautifully patterned paper, a pair of scissors, a small paper cutter and loads of other stuff that had to come home to the UK in my suitcase (oh and I bought a new suitcase too, from Macy's)

I even had the forethought to print off my 15% off coupon and take it with me to Hobby Lobby. What a great store it is. :) They need to branch out to the UK. :haha:

When it rained, I sat in my room, making envelopes and writing letters while OH went to the gym. :lazy:

distracted_mom
February 19th, 2016, 05:44 PM
When I was in FL last September, I bought my envelope maker from Hobby Lobby. I also bought several sticks of white glue, a thick book of about 100 sheets of beautifully patterned paper, a pair of scissors, a small paper cutter and loads of other stuff that had to come home to the UK in my suitcase (oh and I bought a new suitcase too, from Macy's)

I even had the forethought to print off my 15% off coupon and take it with me to Hobby Lobby. What a great store it is. :) They need to branch out to the UK. :haha:

When it rained, I sat in my room, making envelopes and writing letters while OH went to the gym. :lazy:

Oh, I just threw my head back and laughed aloud! That is awesome.

caribbean_skye
February 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM

An envelope maker? What is this strange beast of which you speak? I just fold my own around the letter and use double-sided tape.

Google envelope punch board (it is by We R Memory Makers)

Lady Onogaro
February 19th, 2016, 10:00 PM

Hobby Lobby and I are at odds over a recent court decision, ergo I have not set foot in the store since then.

I liked its offerings better than Michael's, but there you are--Michael's it is.

mrcharlie
February 19th, 2016, 11:39 PM
If you need to go cheap, you can search for and print out envelope templates (online, lots of different sizes available). I trace those onto poster board, cut the template out, and trace around those.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6247-Envelope-templates

It generally is a good idea, though, to not skimp on tape/glue for homemade envelopes. I have learned that it's especially important to reinforce any folded seams. I generally do that with a strip of good tape on the inside of the envelope, right along the fold. While some homemade envelopes arrive without a scratch, others have almost exploded during transit, and the weak spot appears to be seams and flaps.

As long as the paper is not too thin/lightweight the folded seams will probably not blow out as long as you don't seal the flaps nearly airtight. Do not skimp on the glue/tape, but don't glue/tape the edge of the flap from fold-corner to fold-corner. Manufactured envelopes don't have glue all the way to the corners of the flap for a reason. Leave 10 or 15 mm unglued near the corner/fold of a triangular flap. It is less likely you'll glue a straight flap type envelope close to airtight.

If you seal the envelope nearly airtight, the letter inside will try to unfold and push the envelope sides just enough to cause it to suck in air over time. But when you try to squish it flat, it can't let all the air out in a tiny fraction of a second; it has become a little slow-leak air pillow. As the envelope goes through sorting machines they will try to squish it flat which puts a lot of stress on the folds unless there is a path for the air to freely leave.

Chrissy
February 20th, 2016, 12:38 AM
As far as UK is concerned when mailing letters we have to comply with size, weight and thickness restrictions. Worse yet our letters to US need to be less than 10grams for the £1 ($1.44) stamp price, or it costs £1.33 ($1.91) for the 20grams price. So taping envelopes or using thick paper are things I don't usually do for my US mail.

Often I use my C6 plastic envelope template as that makes me an envelope big enough to fold my TR paper twice. I always press it really flat, and I don't glue to the edges of both closing flaps.

I have found that when receiving envelopes with sealing wax on, that the sealing wax is hardly ever still there on receipt, and there is always a large patch of whatever colour it was marking the letter inside. So I guess that's from the machinery.

Chrissy
February 20th, 2016, 12:49 AM

;) Actually we bought two new suitcases from Macy's as on the journey out one of the wheels on one of our suitcases had part of it's outer sheath broken off, so it made a terrible noise as it was rolled along. That suitcase was left behind to be trashed, so we only returned with one additional suitcase. :)

I wanted the Christian Dior type gold and brown designed suitcases and OH wanted plain red. There wasn't a great price differential. Guess which we got? :bounce:

distracted_mom
February 20th, 2016, 07:33 AM

;) Actually we bought two new suitcases from Macy's as on the journey out one of the wheels on one of our suitcases had part of it's outer sheath broken off, so it made a terrible noise as it was rolled along. That suitcase was left behind to be trashed, so we only returned with one additional suitcase. :)

I wanted the Christian Dior type gold and brown designed suitcases and OH wanted plain red. There wasn't a great price differential. Guess which we got? :bounce:

The Dior one, obviously. That's how these things work.

Silverbreeze
February 20th, 2016, 07:40 AM

The Dior one, obviously. That's how these things work.

As a heterosexual male though single at the moment.... Luggage is not worthy of a cold shoulder or worse therefore Chissy got a Christian :-)

Morgaine
December 17th, 2016, 01:22 PM
So, have we remembered these lessons? Just over 6 weeks!!

Chrissy
December 17th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Oh yes. I'm definitely going to do it again. I made some great friends from this years InCoWriMo. :):wave:

caribbean_skye
December 18th, 2016, 09:02 AM

Thanks for reminding me, I need to buy some notecards for the 2017 event. Now to see if I can make a huge dent in my reply-to pile before Feb 1 rolls around.

distracted_mom
December 27th, 2016, 02:13 PM

Thanks for reminding me, I need to buy some notecards for the 2017 event. Now to see if I can make a huge dent in my reply-to pile before Feb 1 rolls around.

I need to do the same thing...or February will be about catching up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VertOlive
December 27th, 2016, 09:19 PM
A kindly "Secret Santa" gifted me with a fat new pad of Tomoe. Otherwise I'd be testing baking parchment for its tolerance toward fountain pens.

No plans yet to record or do art. I like to jump in commando and see what happens as the ink begins to fly!