PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Golden Brown

Chrissy
February 23rd, 2016, 08:50 AM
My latest ink review is Diamine Golden Brown

When I chose to try a sample of Diamine Ancient Copper, I also chose Amber and Golden Brown to see what they were like, as these aren't the type of shades I commonly use. I've swabbed Golden Brown a couple of times, and thought I might not like it. But nevertheless I decided to ink up a couple of pens and write with it. I prefer how it looks when it's written with. It's sort of a golden colour, maybe mustard yellow. Lighter than Ochre, but still easily legible on paper. It's Golden Brown name is a good description of it's colour, and it's different to the other inks I have. I thought it was going to be more similar to J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie than it actually is.

It wrote straight away in both pens without any hard starts or skipping. It lubricated the nib well enough, but the flow seems a little dryer than some other inks I've recently tested, as I couldn't see any moist ink along the page as I was writing. However, despite this, it didn't cause me any problems while I was writing with it.

It's not a water resistant ink. I could just about see the grid after 60 seconds. So I wouldn't use it to address envelopes.

This isn't a waterproof ink, and it doesn't have particularly good water resistance.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used Lamy F and 1.1mm nibs, this ink took just 10-12 secs to dry. That's much faster than some other inks I've reviewed recently.

It felt a bit drier than some other inks I've reviewed, but still seemed to flow reasonably well. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests. It noticeably darkened when I left the pen uncapped, then started writing with it after a few moments. I bet it would darken if left in a piston filler pen.

It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles

Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=14) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

It's a reasonable price.

sweetnightingale
February 23rd, 2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks for another wonderful review, Chrissy. This ink has been on my list to get and will definitely be staying there, thanks to your review. Diamine has some beautiful colors.

ppmiranda
February 23rd, 2016, 09:22 AM
I might confess I expected it to be a lot less legible than it actually is, and I'm pleased how good it looks on paper. Thanks for another nice review.

Chrissy
February 23rd, 2016, 10:19 AM
You're both welcome. :)

The Good Captain
February 24th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Great review but I think that this would be rather too pale for me. My eyes prefer more contrast between ink and paper but the colour doesn't seem to make any difference! Except, of course, personal taste.