PDA

View Full Version : Duofold Cap Decal Won't Stay On

SkyCyclePilot
February 24th, 2016, 10:22 AM
I have a Parker Duofold Pearl/Black fountain pen, and over the last couple of years, the decal on the top end of the cap has come off several times. Parker has fixed it three times, and I've glued it on twice - once with cyano-acrylate glue, and once with epoxy. Seems nothing will stick to the gold finish on the bottom of the decal. Drop that cap just a few inches on a desktop, and that decal is likely to pop off.

Parker has offered me a brand new Premier Monochrome Pink Gold fountain pen as a replacement, and I'm torn about whether to take it. Doing so would solve the problem I'm having with the Duofold, but I'm not sure the Premier is as good a pen as the Premier.

In any case, has anyone else seen this problem? If so, is there a permanent solution that doesn't involve a welding torch?

pengeezer
February 24th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Have you thought about using jb weld to put it back on.....nothing moves once you use that. :)
(Actually,only kidding....that would be overkill!)

John

SkyCyclePilot
February 24th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Have you thought about using jb weld to put it back on.....nothing moves once you use that. :)

John

Believe it or not, I've had JB Weld let go of slick metal. Epoxy didn't hold. I may try E6000...

Chrissy
February 24th, 2016, 11:50 PM
I have a Parker Duofold Pearl/Black fountain pen, and over the last couple of years, the decal on the top end of the cap has come off several times. Parker has fixed it three times, and I've glued it on twice - once with cyano-acrylate glue, and once with epoxy. Seems nothing will stick to the gold finish on the bottom of the decal. Drop that cap just a few inches on a desktop, and that decal is likely to pop off.

Parker has offered me a brand new Premier Monochrome Pink Gold fountain pen as a replacement, and I'm torn about whether to take it. Doing so would solve the problem I'm having with the Duofold, but I'm not sure the Premier is as good a pen as the Premier.

In any case, has anyone else seen this problem? If so, is there a permanent solution that doesn't involve a welding torch?

Dropping the cap onto the desk might also crack it. First things first, stop yourself from dropping the cap onto the desk. :)

SkyCyclePilot
February 25th, 2016, 12:16 AM

Dropping the cap onto the desk might also crack it. First things first, stop yourself from dropping the cap onto the desk. :)

You're not the first person to suggest that. :)

pengeezer
February 25th, 2016, 11:13 AM

John

Believe it or not, I've had JB Weld let go of slick metal. Epoxy didn't hold. I may try E6000...

I would have thought that you would have sanded or roughed up the metal first to give JB Weld a
better grip(It would make sense that jb/w wouldn't hold on smooth metal). Actually had a work aquaintance
jb/w a cracked duofold and shape it perfectly.

John

SkyCyclePilot
February 25th, 2016, 11:24 AM

John

I would have thought that you would have sanded or roughed up the metal first to give JB Weld a
better grip(It would make sense that jb/w wouldn't hold on smooth metal). Actually had a work aquaintance
jb/w a cracked duofold and shape it perfectly.

John

Well, that was a long, long time ago - I was young, with very little experience in such things.