PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Users Tool PIF

RayCornett
February 26th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Are there any 51 users who are fully able to work on their own pens? As in replace the diaphragms and all?

Hawk
February 26th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I have rebuilt one. An expert by no means. I will try another if and when the opportunity comes along.

Farmboy
February 26th, 2016, 09:22 PM
I might be able but I'm not much of a user.

ac12
February 26th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Yes, but only to some degree. I'm still learning.
I have replaced several vac diaphrams, but I have not replaced an Aerometric sac yet.
I've adjusted and swapped 51 nibs, but straightening the cylindrical 51 nib is more tricky than a standard open nib and I have not done that yet.

So why is this question in the PIF, are you volunteering to restore a 51 ?

Flounder
February 27th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Yes, I prefer to work on my own 51s as far as possible, including vacumatic diaphragm changes using Dr. Oldfield's excellent and inexpensive custom made tools (I haven't a barrel thread chaser though, so I do that hand to clear out the gunk & get the blind cap alignment just so - quite laborious!).
Very luckily, I've yet to see a bent 51 nib.

RayCornett
February 28th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I made a set of vac filler unit extractors based off of instructions on Richard Binder's website and they work very well. You can use a dowel to push them out but that can take longer and mash in the end of the pellet socket. These are made with brass tubing and a wooden dowel for a handle. I was going to offer to make a set of these for someone as a PIF if I get enough people interested. I would say at least two or three people. I will keep this PIF open until Monday March 7th 9 pm PST.

Chrissy
February 29th, 2016, 01:41 AM
I have managed to replace one 51 vac filler unit. However, by far the most difficult part of the job was unscrewing the filler unit. I eventually managed to get a split ring that worked quite well on the outer screw threads, but on that one I didn't have to push out the filler unit from the inside.
I have now seen a Parker vac at auction that has a completely stuck filler unit. If I could be confident of repairing it myself, I might consider buying it. So I would definitely be interested to know more about the tools that you are producing.
(And shipping could be to the US during April or May.) :)

Hawk
February 29th, 2016, 06:41 AM
I made a set of vac filler unit extractors based off of instructions on Richard Binder's website and they work very well. You can use a dowel to push them out but that can take longer and mash in the end of the pellet socket. These are made with brass tubing and a wooden dowel for a handle. I was going to offer to make a set of these for someone as a PIF if I get enough people interested. I would say at least two or three people. I will keep this PIF open until Monday March 7th 9 pm PST.

Very interested.

Flounder
March 4th, 2016, 11:43 AM

I think that would be a great PIF (not an entry, I have something similar).