PDA

View Full Version : Hi from New York

Nineninenine
February 27th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Hello. I am new to the forums (lurking for about a week). First experience with fountain pens was finding a cheap plastic student one on the playground in the eighties. I loved it because it had purple ink. But didn't really catch the bug because lived somewhere without access to more cartridges once it ran out.
But because i remembered that pen fondly, 15 years later I bought a platinum preppy with violet ink. And a pilot petit with blue black ink. And thennn my husband bought me a pilot bundle from massdrop with a metropolitan, and I went to a book signing where the author was using a fountain pen with gray ink and that blew my mind. Suddenly I was watching fountain pen ink videos which became fountain pen videos, and following FP people on Instagram and checking #fountainpens daily. I began to try different brands of pens and inks. My collection is now about...30 pens? In a year? I don't know what happened.

Currently I love:
Sheaffer student pens - simple, cheap, I like the fine nib, my can-throw-into-a-bag and let it bang around pen.
Twsbi eco - i've had a good experiance w mine, think it's great value, pretty demo, and also happy w the nib.
Pelikan classic - I suddenly have 7 of these (M200, M205, M400 tortoises white and brown). Started with a amethyst demonstrator...there may be a weakness for purple and demonstrators in me. And piston fillers.
Vintage Swan pens in snakeskin pattern - more for collecting than daily rotation for me, but they are so pretty I could die. Also flexy. *sigh*.
Waterproof inks - current fave is R&K's Scabiosa. Which is... purple, hmm. 😅 But it dries darker I tell you. I am also a fan of Super5 Atlantic.

jar
February 27th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Lady Onogaro
February 27th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I totally understand the weakness for purple and for demonstrators. If the only purple ink you have is Scabiosa, well, all I can say is that you have been restrained in your purchases. :) Time to let the dogs out!

:welcome:

Crazyorange
February 27th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Welcome. Where in NY are you? I'm in the southern portion of NY.

Nineninenine
February 27th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Haha, true. I'm trying to be good and get samples before committing to bottles. I am currently just sampling J. Herbin's Poussiere de Lune, but yeah, other than Scabiosa I have a bunch of platinum violet ink cartridges (I swear, with enough ink there's a green gold sheen to it). I am interested in trying KWZ IG gummyberry and comparing it to Scabiosa, but have been slower in the ink purchasing compared to the pens for sure.

Nineninenine
February 27th, 2016, 11:06 AM

I am too. Southern NY but north of NYC.

Anne
February 27th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Hello and Welcome! Nice pens - Congratulations:)

Sailor Kenshin
February 27th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Hello. I am new to the forums (lurking for about a week). First experience with fountain pens was finding a cheap plastic student one on the playground in the eighties. I loved it because it had purple ink. But didn't really catch the bug because lived somewhere without access to more cartridges once it ran out.
But because i remembered that pen fondly, 15 years later I bought a platinum preppy with violet ink. And a pilot petit with blue black ink. And thennn my husband bought me a pilot bundle from massdrop with a metropolitan, and I went to a book signing where the author was using a fountain pen with gray ink and that blew my mind. Suddenly I was watching fountain pen ink videos which became fountain pen videos, and following FP people on Instagram and checking #fountainpens daily. I began to try different brands of pens and inks. My collection is now about...30 pens? In a year? I don't know what happened.

Currently I love:
Sheaffer student pens - simple, cheap, I like the fine nib, my can-throw-into-a-bag and let it bang around pen.
Twsbi eco - i've had a good experiance w mine, think it's great value, pretty demo, and also happy w the nib.
Pelikan classic - I suddenly have 7 of these (M200, M205, M400 tortoises white and brown). Started with a amethyst demonstrator...there may be a weakness for purple and demonstrators in me. And piston fillers.
Vintage Swan pens in snakeskin pattern - more for collecting than daily rotation for me, but they are so pretty I could die. Also flexy. *sigh*.
Waterproof inks - current fave is R&K's Scabiosa. Which is... purple, hmm. 😅 But it dries darker I tell you. I am also a fan of Super5 Atlantic.

Sheaffer student pens = awesome. ;)

Welcome aboard!

Hawk
February 27th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Welcome.

writingrav
February 27th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

sweetnightingale
February 27th, 2016, 04:05 PM

Lady Onogaro
February 27th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Haha, true. I'm trying to be good and get samples before committing to bottles. I am currently just sampling J. Herbin's Poussiere de Lune, but yeah, other than Scabiosa I have a bunch of platinum violet ink cartridges (I swear, with enough ink there's a green gold sheen to it). I am interested in trying KWZ IG gummyberry and comparing it to Scabiosa, but have been slower in the ink purchasing compared to the pens for sure.

Gummiberry will be entirely more of a purple than Scabiosa is--or should I say it will be more of an LSU purple than is Scabiosa. I love Gummiberry (not because it looks like the purple used by that school across the Basin), but just because I love a very purple purple and not a reddish or brownish purple. But you can see Vanness's site for Gummiberry.

I do like the J. Herbin, too, though. Scabiosa did nothing for me the first time I tried it, but maybe I should try it again.

Crazyorange
February 28th, 2016, 04:55 AM

Me too. I'm in Brewster, Putnam county. Just above westchester county. Are you going to the LI pen show?

Nineninenine
February 28th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Sheaffer student pens = awesome. ;)

Welcome aboard!

They really are. 😀 *fistbump*

Nineninenine
February 28th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Thanks to those who welcomed me. I used the "thanks" feature, not sure if that was appropriate here, I don't know what I'm doing. 😆

Nineninenine
February 28th, 2016, 07:57 AM

Gummiberry will be entirely more of a purple than Scabiosa is--or should I say it will be more of an LSU purple than is Scabiosa. I love Gummiberry (not because it looks like the purple used by that school across the Basin), but just because I love a very purple purple and not a reddish or brownish purple. But you can see Vanness's site for Gummiberry.

I do like the J. Herbin, too, though. Scabiosa did nothing for me the first time I tried it, but maybe I should try it again.

Realized I also bought Diamine Purple Pazzaz on impulse because shimmer but haven't tried it yet. I think what I like about Scabiosa is it looks different over time. When i first ink a pen it's light, then gets darker, but I guess gummyberry may do that too (iron gall thing? Oxidizing? Anyway I find it cool).
Thanks for the info on Gummyberry, I think some samples from vanness will be my next purchase!

Nineninenine
February 28th, 2016, 08:10 AM

Me too. I'm in Brewster, Putnam county. Just above westchester county. Are you going to the LI pen show?
I'm in Westchester. How about that crazy thunderstorm last week, eh? Traffic was terrible the next morning!
I had not known about the LI pen show. That's coming up fast. I've never been to a pen show. I'd say I'm more likely to go next year than this year? Will contemplate this.

Crazyorange
February 28th, 2016, 08:22 AM

I'm in Westchester. How about that crazy thunderstorm last week, eh? Traffic was terrible the next morning!
I had not known about the LI pen show. That's coming up fast. I've never been to a pen show. I'd say I'm more likely to go next year than this year? Will contemplate this.

Yeah, that storm was nuts. It was weird....it was 35 degrees in the morning....then 60 degrees by dinner time. Followed by all that thunder and lightening. Of course better than last year....the constant snow storms were tiring.

LI show is perfect for newbies. Very small and vendors are friendly. Andersons will be there - inky and pen goodness. Fountaindaypen and I are trying to arrange a lunch time meet up on Saturday. Come and meet members from the forum.

Wahl
February 28th, 2016, 09:53 AM

Lady Onogaro
February 28th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Realized I also bought Diamine Purple Pazzaz on impulse because shimmer but haven't tried it yet. I think what I like about Scabiosa is it looks different over time. When i first ink a pen it's light, then gets darker, but I guess gummyberry may do that too (iron gall thing? Oxidizing? Anyway I find it cool).
Thanks for the info on Gummyberry, I think some samples from vanness will be my next purchase!
I use the version of Gummiberry that is not IG. When I tried the Gummiberry in my Rose Gold TWSBI it reacted with the nib and turned the ink green. Konrad got reports of the reactions from several folks on FPN. I just flushed my sample out of the pen. Now I don't use the IG version.

Nineninenine
February 29th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I use the version of Gummiberry that is not IG. When I tried the Gummiberry in my Rose Gold TWSBI it reacted with the nib and turned the ink green. Konrad got reports of the reactions from several folks on FPN. I just flushed my sample out of the pen. Now I don't use the IG version.
Whoa. I've never had an ink react to a nib, that would freak me out, so thanks for the heads up. I will likely still try it but put it into a cheaper pen w a steel nib and see. But also get the non-IG kind if IG is no-go.

Nineninenine
February 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that storm was nuts. It was weird....it was 35 degrees in the morning....then 60 degrees by dinner time. Followed by all that thunder and lightening. Of course better than last year....the constant snow storms were tiring.

LI show is perfect for newbies. Very small and vendors are friendly. Andersons will be there - inky and pen goodness. Fountaindaypen and I are trying to arrange a lunch time meet up on Saturday. Come and meet members from the forum.

I eagerly await Spring.

Still contemplating the show. It looks really fun and i think my husband is willing to go with me, so it may be happening. Im assuming you will be posting meetup details in the forums (uh, guess the pen show one?) closer to the day, so will watch for that.

scrivelry
February 29th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Welcome! I am also Downstate NY. (There is a Southern NY? No one had told me this! I swear I never get the memos...) Hoping to get to the show this year - I do not know why, with four weekends in March, every single thing I have to do for the entire month ends up on the same day!!!

Show is definitely worth going to! Hope to see you there!

Nineninenine
March 5th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Welcome! I am also Downstate NY. (There is a Southern NY? No one had told me this! I swear I never get the memos...) Hoping to get to the show this year - I do not know why, with four weekends in March, every single thing I have to do for the entire month ends up on the same day!!!

Show is definitely worth going to! Hope to see you there!Heh, well people in NYC seem to think anything north of the Bronx is Upstate, so I don't even try anymore with saying Downstate. Too frustrating to get into it. "Southern NY" seems to work better.
Thanks for the welcome! The show definitely sounds fun. I want to go but still not 100% sure I'll be able to that weekend. Might decide day before!

Jeph
March 8th, 2016, 03:39 PM