PDA

View Full Version : Ah the USPS

Silverbreeze
February 27th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Hey Sharon

I am sure you didn't foresee this for your envelope
I am blocking your address in the picture

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160227/df22159aa5bcccf8bb422d616793a251.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160227/de9fdaeecfeff71ec8ee22bf29b9602e.jpg

KKay
February 27th, 2016, 11:37 AM
It looks like a shoe print. Good grief.

Silverbreeze
February 27th, 2016, 11:39 AM
It looks like a shoe print. Good grief.

Ok I am not crazy you see that too

gordyt
February 27th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Tom twice so far this month I have had outgoing letters in my mailbox, with the flag up, when the mail-person delivered my mail and neglected to take some are all of my outgoing letters. Now I drive over to the post office and put my letters in their inside mailbox.

sweetnightingale
February 27th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Oh good heavens! I wonder what in tarnation happened. It DOES look like a shoe print.

Gosh, I hope you were able to read the letter.

Silverbreeze
February 27th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Oh good heavens! I wonder what in tarnation happened. It DOES look like a shoe print.

Gosh, I hope you were able to read the letter.

Yup letter is fine

sweetnightingale
February 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Well, glad of that! Man, that poor envelope looked like someone played a hard game of Hopscotch on it.

Chrissy
February 27th, 2016, 02:25 PM
I wonder if the fact that it has a seal on the back means that they don't know to not put it through the machinery, and maybe it flew out or something?

Hawk
February 27th, 2016, 02:25 PM
It did go through the automatic cancelling machine so big foot didn't need to squash the seal on the back.

Lady Onogaro
February 27th, 2016, 02:26 PM
It doesn't look as if the person is very respectful of other people's mail. It should at least come with one of those apologies stickers.

Silverbreeze
February 27th, 2016, 02:31 PM
It doesn't look as if the person is very respectful of other people's mail. It should at least come with one of those apologies stickers.

Nope no stickers this year

sweetnightingale
February 27th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I was telling Hawk that people are getting lazier and lazier these days. The lack of respect nowadays is appalling. I mean, she's ha,

I did use supple sealing wax so it shouldn't have had an issue going through the machinery.

gbryal
February 27th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Both sides. That's the kicker.

Robert
February 27th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Maybe that's what happens when one affixes the stamp upside down (?)

sweetnightingale
February 27th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Maybe that's what happens when one affixes the stamp upside down (?)

LOL. Guilty as charged. Hmmm...seems to happen to me a lot.

Pharmasweaves
February 27th, 2016, 10:14 PM
That's the best seal I've seen on the recieving end. All of mine have been looking as thus: http://i.imgur.com/cqrwy6K.jpg

katherine
February 27th, 2016, 11:14 PM
D:

I had an envelope arrive from the UK this week, but I don't recognize the sender -- so I'm guessing it's from someone participating in InCoWriMo. Except the envelope was cut open and had nothing inside it. :|

Neo
February 28th, 2016, 04:18 AM
[QUOTE=katherine;161750]D:

I had an envelope arrive from the UK this week, but I don't recognize the sender -- so I'm guessing it's from someone participating in InCoWriMo. Except the envelope was cut open and had nothing inside it. :|

Sorry to hear that had happened, did you report that to the Postmaster General in your area?

sweetnightingale
February 28th, 2016, 06:43 AM
That's the best seal I've seen on the recieving end. All of mine have been looking as thus: http://i.imgur.com/cqrwy6K.jpg

At least it stayed intact, but my seals are either hit or miss when I do them. It's nice when they do come undamaged. :) BTW, you make beautiful seals.

sweetnightingale
February 28th, 2016, 06:48 AM
D:

Wow! That's strange. That's too bad that happened. I've heard some USPS horror stories about things getting lost. That's crazy though - an envelope with no letter inside. Bummer. :(

KKay
February 28th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Oh that would TICK me off to no end.

D:

checkrail
February 28th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I recently had a pen package I was awaiting in Britain from America apparently disappear into a wonderful place called USPS Jamaica NY for six weeks. When it finally turned up, it was stamped: 'Missent to Barbados'. The sender was given a lot of flannel about it just being stuck in a customs shed somewhere and these things happen, while it was on its odyssey.
Kind regards,
Timothy

Chrissy
February 28th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I recently had a pen package I was awaiting in Britain from America apparently disappear into a wonderful place called USPS Jamaica NY for six weeks. When it finally turned up, it was stamped: 'Missent to Barbados'. The sender was given a lot of flannel about it just being stuck in a customs shed somewhere and these things happen, while it was on its odyssey.
Kind regards,
Timothy

Wow! That is a well travelled package. From US to UK via Barbados. :jaw:

Pharmasweaves
February 28th, 2016, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Pharmasweaves;161743] It's nice when they do come undamaged. :) BTW, you make beautiful seals.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my glue gun seems to have gotten a piece of metal jammed into it, so I'm sans melting function at the moment. I made a few with an old teaspoon and candle, but it made my whole room smell like smoke, so I'm going to have to find a butane lighter or something next time I'm out.

Related note: does anyone know how to form wax... remnants... into a stick shape for proper remelting? So far my idea is just to heat it up in a spoon and pour into a makeshift aluminium form (haven't tried yet, in case its a dumb idea)

sweetnightingale
February 28th, 2016, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Pharmasweaves;161743] It's nice when they do come undamaged. :) BTW, you make beautiful seals.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my glue gun seems to have gotten a piece of metal jammed into it, so I'm sans melting function at the moment. I made a few with an old teaspoon and candle, but it made my whole room smell like smoke, so I'm going to have to find a butane lighter or something next time I'm out.

Related note: does anyone know how to form wax... remnants... into a stick shape for proper remelting? So far my idea is just to heat it up in a spoon and pour into a makeshift aluminium form (haven't tried yet, in case its a dumb idea)

I never tried making seals with a glue gun but I hear that method is much easier to control. I just use a butane lighter and heat it up that way. I let it drip, then attempt to get it into a nice puddle for stamping. Notice I say attempt here. LOL. Some turn out pretty good; others not as good, but I'm getting better. :)

On a related note, like Sam, I have a question. What do you do when you're near the end of a stick? I like to get as much usage out of my sticks as I can, but when you get near the end, the chance of fiery fingers is greater.

Pharmasweaves
February 28th, 2016, 07:25 PM
On a related note, like Sam, I have a question. What do you do when you're near the end of a stick? I like to get as much usage out of my sticks as I can, but when you get near the end, the chance of fiery fingers is greater.

The easiest thing to do is to slightly heat the end of a fresh stick, the flat end of the stub, then press and pray. ?Bonus? mixing of colors if they're different.

sweetnightingale
February 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM

The easiest thing to do is to slightly heat the end of a fresh stick, the flat end of the stub, then press and pray. ?Bonus? mixing of colors if they're different.

Haha. I like that - press and pray. Will try that with the emphasis on the praying. LOL.

scrivelry
February 29th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Some people heat their wax in a spoon, so hammer, old spoon and candle is another possibility.

mgmmaze
March 20th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Got an email from a pen pal from last yr inco asking me if I moved I said no why. She got her letter sent back saying my box is vacant hmmm way to go usps way to go

Silverbreeze
March 20th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Got an email from a pen pal from last yr inco asking me if I moved I said no why. She got her letter sent back saying my box is vacant hmmm way to go usps way to go

Wow

sharmon202
March 20th, 2016, 03:16 PM
I could see, in KS wind, the person getting the mail out of the box and one or more getting blown off and maybe the only way to catch it was to step on it to stop it.

mgmmaze
March 20th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Ohh and I have lived here almost 3 yrs just for reference so its not like I just got here

Pharmasweaves
March 21st, 2016, 08:00 AM
Reminds me of a particularly bad winter's USPS story.

TLDR; version after paragraph.

I remember one year we got like 3 or 4 feet of snow. The town plow trucks blew all the snow over my mailbox overnight, leaving about a 2 foot shell of frozen garbage around it. When I finally dug the front out, I get a note placed into my mailbox saying I need to shovel a something degree grade leading to and from the front of my mailbox so that they don't have to reach out of the truck. After a few days of digging, the snow had melted enough for me to find out that the plows had knocked the mailbox off of the stand and pushed it a couple feet down the street (the snow had apparently cocooned it to stay up and look like it was on the stand. Since it was broken off and I didn't know how to replace it (being relatively young) I used wire and duct tape to secure it to the stand. Got a note from the USPS saying it wasn't secure enough (in the meantime, I'm still not getting any mail here). After finally asking for help from the neighbors and getting a new, bigger mailbox installed, I finally got all the prior day's mail. Each day was rubber banded, and the whole thing was surrounded by a bigger rubber band. In each day's pile, the top envelope had a note somewhere along the lines of "improper mailbox position, undeliverable" or "mailbox covered in snow". Super annoying.

TLDR; 3 feet of snow, town plows bury and break my mailbox. USPS refuses to deliver my mail while I work on digging and replacing, but still leaves notes in my mailbox why they won't deliver my mail.

Hawk
March 21st, 2016, 01:22 PM
TLDR; 3 feet of snow, town plows bury and break my mailbox. USPS refuses to deliver my mail while I work on digging and replacing, but still leaves notes in my mailbox why they won't deliver my mail.

Yet they can't deliver the mail but manage to put notes in your box. Maybe the person that put the notes in your box would be able to help the mail carrier.... Oh, it might be the same person, how foolish of me.

Crazyorange
March 21st, 2016, 05:27 PM
I've posted this before. I bought an aquatic plant and it went missing. 3 weeks later I found a plastic bag with a beaten up box hanging from my mail box. The plastic bag had "we are very sorry" printed on it. Believe on not the plant was still alive and continues to grow in my tank. When ever I look at the plant I think of its strength to live after surviving weeks in a tattered box.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160321/80af745fd393ffa7c904b47f1b1d1e70.jpg