PDA

View Full Version : Penmanila's Article

Haefennasiel
February 27th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Interesting read from Dr. Jose "Penmanila" Dalisay, Jr. on being a fountain pen collector - or being a collector of anything ...

http://penmanila.ph/2016/02/23/penman-no-188-risk-and-reward-in-the-collectibles-market/

jar
February 28th, 2016, 06:18 AM
An interesting article and point of view.

Hawk
February 28th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Jonathon explained that central to the economics of the matter is the idea of price vs. value, and where value (how strongly we desire the product) exceeds price, a purchase will likely be made.

Interesting article however, the above sentance seems to say it all. I have found at times after I have the pen (or whatever), the value has diminished. I have to learn how to recoup some of my loss by selling instead of hoarding.

pengeezer
March 1st, 2016, 05:32 AM
Great article! What he says is correct--there is some risk on ebay when it comes to bidding on vintage
pens,but it's worth it when you've done your homework and you know or at least have a very good idea
about what you're getting. Some of us have to be careful how we spend our shekels in this hobby. If we
don't win it,we don't win it. But the old saying rings true: "Nothing ventured,nothing gained" .

John

Haefennasiel
March 2nd, 2016, 08:19 PM
I was able to get a few Esterbrooks and a vintage Parker Duofold from him that he himself restored. Consider me a happy customer. :)