PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Silver Pearl Vac?

stub
February 28th, 2016, 08:21 AM
I just won this auction. I bid on a whim, not expecting to win, time was running short and I didn't have much time to do any digging but something here seems off. What is this? What I thought I had was a pretty large double jewel Canadian vac in Silver Pearl with a slightly warped barrel. But something on this pen doesn't look right to me.

http://cl.ly/1a321U081A3T/s-l1600-3.jpg
http://cl.ly/0A440b2w3z1t/s-l1600-4.jpg
http://cl.ly/3H3h151Z3X1p/s-l1600-5.jpg

stub
February 28th, 2016, 07:24 PM
FPN SUCKS

Brian Goulet can't sing

The Chinese are going to by Mont Blanc.

The peneconomics blog is coming for you.

Farmboy
February 28th, 2016, 09:44 PM
FPN SUCKS

Brian Goulet can't sing

The Chinese are going to by Mont Blanc.

The peneconomics blog is coming for you.

Such a positive post.

What was it you wanted to know about the Vacumatic pen?

stub
February 28th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Such a positive post.

Heh, seemingly the only way to get anyone to post on here.

What was it you wanted to know about the Vacumatic pen?

If anyone can tell/guess what size it is? era? (this isn't my era, I have only ever owned 40s single jewel plastic pump Vacs)

Does that clip looks legit? It looks a little off to me.

Also, It does look like the celluloid is warped/shrunk just above the section. Is that going to be a big problem? Or will it just be cosmetic?

I have no idea why I bid on this without thinking or knowing what I was doing but I was one of only 2 bids and I wonder if there was a reason folks stayed away from this.

ac12
March 4th, 2016, 02:10 PM
The barrel does indeed look like is it shrunk above the section. That might make section difficult to remove.
I hope you did not pay a lot for it.

TSherbs
March 4th, 2016, 03:00 PM
the tines look widely misaligned

stub
March 6th, 2016, 03:48 AM
The barrel does indeed look like is it shrunk above the section. That might make section difficult to remove.
I hope you did not pay a lot for it.

Yeah. I didn't pay a lot but I paid more than i should have considering the condition. Hopefully the pen is not as bad as it appears in the picture but the barrel looks shrunk and I don't think it is just the picture. I should have have passed on it.

I happen to catch it just as it was closing and thought it might be one of the larger pens. I didn't have a whole lot of time to think and because of that I should have passed.

stub
March 6th, 2016, 03:49 AM
the tines look widely misaligned

I didn't notice how bad that was till later but if you look close you can see they cross atop one another. That, though, is likely fixable pretty easily. More concerned about the other thing.

pajaro
March 6th, 2016, 12:04 PM
The nibs on these are handsome.

stub
March 7th, 2016, 02:15 AM
The nibs on these are handsome.

Yeah. I love them. Possibly my favorite pen of all time. For sure my favorite non-Sheaffer.

Yet only own one Vacumatic so I have been looking to remedy that.

stub
March 9th, 2016, 01:20 AM
You win some, you lose some.

Pen was badly misrepresented, and I also did not do enough careful examination so the intersection of those 2 things means I have a really unsuccessful purchase here.

So the nib was not mis-aligned. It is actually missing part of one tine at the very tippy top. Too small to spot in photos but obvious to the eye in person. It is a shame because the nib is very springy.

The blind cap is missing the jewel. Ugh. I did not see that.

The barrel is just as badly warped as it appears in that photo. Shame on me for not noticing just how bad that was.

The cap is okay but the bands are brassed and one is bent.

“Body and nib look very good, I think it needs new filler or repair” is what the seller put (person who routinely sells pens too)

uh no. pen is hosed pretty much beyond fixing. A retip and redo of the filler would be too much and that is *if* that section didn't render the repair impossible and then you'd still have a weird jewel-less blind cap.

Very cute autograph name in the pen too that was not noted. Tamy ? Snowden....

Amateur hour both seller and buyer. Kind of angry at myself. I always say, "hey not enough time to research it, just let it go" but momentary insanity took hold and the result was money wasted.

grrr..... I hate me.

stub
March 9th, 2016, 07:26 AM
THE SADDEST TROMBONES

http://cl.ly/0X3F2D2j0G0q/IMG_1057.JPG

dr.grace
March 9th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I'd send it back. If it was misrepresented, that's eBay rules.

kaisnowbird
March 10th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Agree with Dr Grace. Damaged nib, missing jewel and a shrunk body can't 'look very good'. I'd demand a refund.

stub
March 10th, 2016, 06:13 AM
I got a partial refund.

Still sort of bummed to see a pen genuinely at the end of it's life.

RIP Parker vac.

Farmboy
March 10th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Jewel and nib are available parts. Barrel issues are often repairable be those that do celluloid work. Perhaps it could be salvaged though it would come at a cost to do so.

stub
March 10th, 2016, 08:05 AM
yeah just get a new nib a new jewel and a new barrel (if anyone could fix that barrel I would eat my shoe).

heh.

That leaves the cap, feed, pump.

gregamckinney
March 10th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I wonder if Ron Z has any shoes he needs eaten. :)

greg

stub
March 10th, 2016, 08:57 AM
unpossible!

How can you unshrink celluloid that much?

ac12
March 10th, 2016, 08:34 PM
unpossible!

Heat to soften, then push out from the inside.
Not saying it is easy, but "possible," with the right tools, knowledge and skill. Of which I have none of those.

Farmboy
March 10th, 2016, 09:42 PM
unpossible!

Not saying it is easy, but "possible," with the right tools, knowledge and skill. Of which I have none of those.

Would actually need to see the pen to know if it is possible but it is more of a roll than a push. (We should do a 'hot celluloid' pen posse some afternoon.)

The rest of the parts are relatively easy if you know the right persons.

stub
March 10th, 2016, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=ac12;163531][QUOTE=stub;163455]unpossible!
The rest of the parts are relatively easy if you know the right persons.

I don't. I only know wrong persons & always gouged for everything or just can't get period.

I live in the worst possible industrialized modernized place on earth for fountain pens.

Pen insiders in the US or EU, Japan could replicate my pen drawer at 1/4 the price and 1/10 the
time and with many fewer mistakes than I have made.

Want to overpay, get zapped for import tax or
buy a pen that has problems and pay crazy amounts for shipping to return it again. Want a easy restoration to
suddenly become more expensive than the pen is worth? Zero parts zero repairs. no pen shows. half the folks on
ebay won't even sell to you or fuck you over with the Global Shipping program.

gah, my quest for good writing user grade Parker Vacs of decent size has been been pretty much epic fail all around.

heh. But this one is little on me. I bid on impulse and didn't do my due diligence so mostly mad at myself here.

But you win some and lose some. heh.

Mags
March 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM
That makes me cringe. Hope you win one soon.

gregamckinney
March 12th, 2016, 01:44 PM
unpossible!

Exactly. Given all else that is wrong with this pen, I'm not saying it should be done, but if it were a family heirloom or something, I would send it to Ron to see what might be possible.

greg

stub
March 13th, 2016, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Might keep it in a drawer for a future frankenpen. Meanwhile back to looking for a good one.
I know Zorn is an amazing craftsman. I have purchased pens from him and if anyone can do it he can but considering the nib needs a retip too that's already $100 so on top of what I paid and what a repair person would do and then tracking down a jewel, would make this a very expensive Vac.

ac12
March 16th, 2016, 10:12 PM
You could part out the pen. It is likely that you could recover your cost. But the hassle will be dealing with selling the individual parts; nib, feed, section, filler, blind cap, cap, ...

stub
March 16th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I sent a pen to the us yesterday that I sold on here.

$37 dollars.

plus the barrel is hose, nib is missing part of a tine and the blind cap is missing the jewel. The cap is ugly, dented and the jewel is filthy, and the filler news restoration. That leave the feed. Maybe. heh.

heh.

You could part out the pen. It is likely that you could recover your cost. But the hassle will be dealing with selling the individual parts; nib, feed, section, filler, blind cap, cap, ...