PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Chicago

R.A. Stewart
February 29th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Greetings all--

I've written with fountain pens off and on since high school (which, as I'm 65, is a long time). Right now I have a couple of Parker UK Duofolds (a Maxima Oversize and an early 50s, I think, button-fill italic) and a Duke that Teri of Peyton Street Pens sent along as a lagniappe when I ordered the Maxima. The second pen seems to have developed some issues, and I have joined FPG in part to learn more about how to deal with those and to better care for my pens generally.

I'm obviously not a major or high-end collector :) so probably won't be as active here as some. I do have my eye on a couple more acquisitions in the future, such as a Parker 51 (because if you like Parkers, shouldn't you have a 51?) and something large with a more flexible nib than I have on my current pens.

In my non-pen life I'm a librarian, sometime writer, very occasional amateur musician, and language nut, and live with my wife and some of my kids on the North Side of Chicago.

~Rich

Anne
February 29th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Welcome Rich! Yes, a Parker 51 is a Must! :)
And you don't have to be a major collector to be appreciated and active with this forum. Enjoy!

Laura N
February 29th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Hi Rich!

If you can, you should come to our meetup on Sunday, April 10 at noon at Old Orchard. More details here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/15200-Pre-Chicago-Pen-Show-Meetup). Many of us are Parker fans even! I'll bring some 51s for you to see, if you'd like.

The Chicago Pen Show is at the end of April, too. It's really fun and we get together there, too.

PM me with your email if you'd like to be on our little group's list.

-Laura

Silverbreeze
February 29th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Greetings all--

I've written with fountain pens off and on since high school (which, as I'm 65, is a long time). Right now I have a couple of Parker UK Duofolds (a Maxima Oversize and an early 50s, I think, button-fill italic) and a Duke that Teri of Peyton Street Pens sent along as a lagniappe when I ordered the Maxima. The second pen seems to have developed some issues, and I have joined FPG in part to learn more about how to deal with those and to better care for my pens generally.

I'm obviously not a major or high-end collector :) so probably won't be as active here as some. I do have my eye on a couple more acquisitions in the future, such as a Parker 51 (because if you like Parkers, shouldn't you have a 51?) and something large with a more flexible nib than I have on my current pens.

In my non-pen life I'm a librarian, sometime writer, very occasional amateur musician, and language nut, and live with my wife and some of my kids on the North Side of Chicago.

~Rich

Careful my friend ink and paper is a even bigger black hole :-)

As for flex, I suggest watching the For Sale threads on here and FPN for a better value then most modern flex nib.

You can find a user level vintage flex pen for $100 or less if you pay attention and I think you would be happier with one rather then any Pilot or Noodlers

Tom

jar
February 29th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Hawk
February 29th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Welcome. We also have an informal pen club that meets in Hillside usually on the third Sunday of the month at 2PM.

writingrav
February 29th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the madness, Rich. Indulge!

Lady Onogaro
February 29th, 2016, 03:14 PM
:welcome:

sweetnightingale
February 29th, 2016, 05:06 PM

TerraNoir
February 29th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Hello Hello from what looks like the same area as myself! Are you going to the Chicago Pen Show? We have a great group of people that will be there. Hope to see you there!

distracted_mom
February 29th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Welcome! I'm not a high end collector either! We can commiserate!

Morgaine
March 1st, 2016, 11:31 AM
Hello and welcome from Wales!

nashfire
March 1st, 2016, 02:45 PM
Greetings all--

~Rich

Careful my friend ink and paper is a even bigger black hole :-)

As for flex, I suggest watching the For Sale threads on here and FPN for a better value then most modern flex nib.

You can find a user level vintage flex pen for $100 or less if you pay attention and I think you would be happier with one rather then any Pilot or Noodlers

Tom
As an FP "noob" I will say I have enjoyed my Noodler's Ahab and Konrad pens.. esp. since I am a d.i.y. / tinkerer / duct tape /gearhead kinda guy. After a quick hot water heat-set (or two). the flex nibs write great. I don't own any vintage flex...yet! (Full disclosure my first car was also a VW bus)[emoji41]

Wahl
March 2nd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Hi Rich :welcome:

R.A. Stewart
March 2nd, 2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Laura, PM sent.

Rich

Jeph
March 8th, 2016, 03:42 PM

Chrissy
March 8th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Hello Rich, and welcome to FPG. :welcome:

torriejeremyterldc
March 9th, 2016, 05:36 AM

southpaw52
March 9th, 2016, 04:44 PM