PDA

View Full Version : Any way of repairing/stabilizing a crack in a binde?

katherine
March 1st, 2016, 02:06 PM
Hey fpgeeks!

I got my third Pelikan yesterday, a white tortoise M400 -- it writes wonderfully and it's very pretty. However, it does have a crack in the binde (runs parallel to the stripes). I knew it was there when I bought it (and paid what I felt was appropriate for a damaged pen), but now I'm curious -- is there anything I can do to stabilize the crack? It's not peeling away, and it's not super obvious unless you're looking for it or run your fingers over the binde, but it's there.

Part of me was thinking of using a touch of super glue. The other part of me figures if/when it gets worse (seller said it's been pretty stable) then I can send it off for a custom binde.

Any advice or thoughts? :D

Jon Szanto
March 1st, 2016, 02:58 PM
Yeah: talk to Todd. Don't mess around with a glue until you know whether the excess or chemicals will do other, maybe surface, damage to the binde.

Seriously, the Posse folks will know what to suggest. And, yeah, custom binde would be fun.

katherine
March 1st, 2016, 03:29 PM
Okay. Now I've got even more reasons to be excited about the upcoming Posse. WHY IS IT NOT SUNDAY YET.

I also worry that glue may make it harder to get this binde off for a custom one in the future. Anyway, will ask Todd. Todd has all the answers.

Thanks!

penwash
March 1st, 2016, 09:04 PM
Let the crack be, but monitor it.
And save some fund.

The first month you feel the crack is worsen, hopefully you've saved enough fund to send the pen to Shawn Newton who will put a new binde for you out of a choice of materials.

fountainpenkid
April 11th, 2016, 09:02 AM
A similar problem has arisen with my vintage 400 tortoise (although in this case, the crack is mid-barrel and runs about a third of the width across). Who would you recommend? (I'm not sure who Todd is).

bluesea
April 12th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) Todd is member Farmboy, Bay Area denizen and Pen Posse extraordinaire.

katherine
April 12th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Yep -- bluesea is right.

Todd's advice on the crack was to not touch it. If it's not getting worse, leave it.

Chrissy
April 13th, 2016, 01:07 AM
I have had some success using Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It's a non-aggressive adhesive, but it even worked to stop a cheap piston filler leaking ink all over my fingers at the section.

fountainpenkid
April 13th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I have had some success using Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It's a non-aggressive adhesive, but it even worked to stop a cheap piston filler leaking ink all over my fingers at the section.

I've decided to send the pen to Eldon Braun, an expert repairer of vintage european pens, as he says he can stabilize the crack. However, spending $45 in repairs for a $150 pen feels a bit odd...

katherine
April 13th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Good luck! $45 to keep it looking great for another 50 years? Doesn't sound tooooo bad! :)