PDA

View Full Version : Noodler's Ahab breather tube issue

xhomerx10
March 2nd, 2016, 06:48 PM
Hi All,

I didn't intend to be asking for help in my very first post but... first day with the new pen :cry:
While trying to adjust the feed on my Noodler's Ahab while it was inked, I missed the fact that the breather tube wasn't centered in the plunger and I bent it. Actually, I mangled it; there were three good kinks in it. I can't properly straighten it now and it keeps jamming when I need to use the plunger... I guess what I'm wondering is, can I just remove the breather tube or does it serve a function when writing? I did a cursory search online and it looks like I would have to buy another pen to get a breather tube. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

distracted_mom
March 2nd, 2016, 06:56 PM
Oooh, that's a bummer. I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to thank you for sharing your cautionary tale. I'll be careful with mine.

dam
March 3rd, 2016, 01:47 PM
Hi, you should be able to use the pen without the tube. If it's in bad shape, just remove it. I think I remember a youtube video where Noodler's Nathan Tardif says as much. You should be alright.

xhomerx10
March 3rd, 2016, 04:26 PM
Hi, you should be able to use the pen without the tube. If it's in bad shape, just remove it. I think I remember a youtube video where Noodler's Nathan Tardif says as much. You should be alright.

Thanks very much. It is very badly damaged; I'll just pull it out. I've seen videos where a guy plays around with feeds and nibs (heat setting them) and none of them have a breather tube. All I needed was for one person to tell me to remove it ;)

Dreck
March 3rd, 2016, 07:42 PM
Good luck. Please let us know how things turn out.

PurpleFP08
March 3rd, 2016, 11:58 PM
I know the Ahab can be turned into a eyedropper maybe this will help if ur in America maybe talk to gouletpens they might have some advice

xhomerx10
March 4th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Update:
Some fingers and one palm are a beautiful shade of Noodler's Navajo Turquoise. NB Do not try to push the air out with the pen tip pointing upward with or without the breather tube inserted.
The pen writes well without the breather tube but I cannot totally fill it now using the piston. Best I can do is about half full (or half empty). I managed to get the kinks out of the breather tube with the help of a needle and a tiny bit of heat so I'm going to put that back in later. (Hopefully BEFORE the blue wears off my fingers.) I should really wear gloves until I figure this stuff out ;)

TSherbs
March 4th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I found the breather tube to be a royal pain. Got rid of it. Have had no other problems. Pen doesn't fill the whole way, but there is plenty of ink.