PDA

View Full Version : Brownie.

jar
March 3rd, 2016, 07:40 AM
The year was 1967.

My wife and I were driving in our '67 Camaro 327 Dark Blue with white nose stripe from Greensboro, NC to Phoenix, Az where I was about to start a new job. We were about 30 minutes past Wildorado, Tx on Rt 66 (Interstate 40 signs were still in the future, of course the only real change was adding the second roadway and the signs; stll no overpasses and other roads just but into I-40 with just a stop sign.) and just had to stop to take pictures since there was absolutely nothing to see in any direction. I mean nothing; well except the trash can chained to the sign that said "Rest Stop No Facilities". I climbed onto the top of the car to get good views in all 360 degrees since coming from the East Coast we'd never seen a place where there was NOTHING to see.

No hills.

No trees.

No clouds.

No cactus.

No windmills.

No oil wells.

No farm houses.

No barns.

NOTHING. And NOTHING for as far as the eye see (and as we learned, for miles and miles more).

As I got down a scruffy (we will return to Scruffy in another tale) little black dog with big brown eyes crawled out from behind the tiny shade the trash barrel offered and came up to me. She lay down and then rolled over, tummy up. tail beating against the sand.

And that was where Brownie (those eyes) found us. She kept us safe and entertained (with the help of Cholla, more on Cholla later) for many, many years.

Crazyorange
March 3rd, 2016, 10:05 AM
No picture of brownie???

jar
March 3rd, 2016, 10:40 AM
No picture of brownie???
No, but little and fat and short hair and daddy was named Handsome Stranger.

Anne
March 8th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Nice story Jar, as always.
If you were anywhere near the 93, I would have said, "...well you Were in Nothing Jar, Nothing, AZ. ...":)
I always laugh when I see the sign there. No offense to the people that live there.
I can relate a bit to your story. When we took our last trip to Arizona moving out here, we saw the same thing - from the air.
We played a very sad game of, "There is a Green spot!!" We wondered where the heck we were moving to ...

jar
March 8th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Nice story Jar, as always.
If you were anywhere near the 93, I would have said, "...well you Were in Nothing Jar, Nothing, AZ. ...":)
I always laugh when I see the sign there. No offense to the people that live there.
I can relate a bit to your story. When we took our last trip to Arizona moving out here, we saw the same thing - from the air.
We played a very sad game of, "There is a Green spot!!" We wondered where the heck we were moving to ...

One of my favorite tows is "Why Not" North Carolina, a pass through on the pilgrimage to "Jug Town".