PDA

View Full Version : Can you fully dip a snorkel nib when filling ?

lowks
March 3rd, 2016, 04:46 PM
I know this has been asked many times before, but I still cannot get an answer by head can brain, so here I go again: What happens when fully submerge a Snorkel nib when filling ? Thank you for your answer and lighting my butt on fire.

jar
March 3rd, 2016, 05:22 PM
You get ink all over the feed.

When you fill a snorkel for the first time or after it has been unused for a long time, it is necessary to prime the feed. But at other times you simply defeat the whole purpose of the snorkel.

mhosea
March 3rd, 2016, 07:09 PM
I know this has been asked many times before, but I still cannot get an answer by head can brain, so here I go again: What happens when fully submerge a Snorkel nib when filling ? Thank you for your answer and lighting my butt on fire.

The instructions say to dip the feed if the pen is being filled from a dry state. You should not immerse it past the nib at all, as you don't want or need ink to wick into the threads of the nib unit. As long as the feed is primed and the high water mark when filling is still on the nib, there is neither point nor harm in immersing it that far, as this is where you'd have to immerse it to if it were a TD filler of the sort that doesn't have a snorkel tube. Obviously the snorkel tube exists so that you don't generally need to dip it in that far.

In a snorkel, there is a feed inside the tube, which carries the ink from the sac to the secondary feed, which is the one in contact with the nib. Ink wicks into the secondary feed primarily through a slit at the top of the tube. Dipping the feed just charges the secondary feed instantaneously instead of slowly through the little slit in the snorkel tube. Behind the feed is rubber seal, so the only place there should be ink beyond the nib is inside the snorkel tube and sac.