PDA

View Full Version : Platinum 3776 Century

dgator
December 10th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the Platinum 3776 Century? I have my eyes 👀 on the Bourgogne (burgundy) model, while the new Chartres Blue looks fantastic as well. Which nib did you pick?

As a point of reference, my Asian pen experience has been limited to a Pilot VP (medium & fine nibs) and 78G (fine, medium & broad nibs). All of my Pilots have been great pens.

Thanks in advance & happy holidays!

Shashinjitsu
December 10th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I have a 3776 Celluloid with a 14k Broad nib. It has replaced my Sailor 1911 Standard as my favorite pen. I'm guessing the century has the same nib and only the body material has changed. This was my first Platinum pen (not counting the Preppy) and I love it.

MrClockWork
December 11th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I have a 3776 Celluloid with a 14k Broad nib. It has replaced my Sailor 1911 Standard as my favorite pen. I'm guessing the century has the same nib and only the body material has changed. This was my first Platinum pen (not counting the Preppy) and I love it.

Can you explain a little more as to why the 3776 replaced your 1911? I have been looking between the 1911, 3776 and a few others. Any details are appreciated.

IWantThat
December 11th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I have the 3776 Bourgogne, and as others have pointed out on FPN and elsewhere, it uses the same nib as the Nakaya standard models. I think what impresses me the most about my 3776 is the nib. It's very smooth and writes beautifully. The finishes are also nice for the price point (less than $200). It has me wanting more Platinum pens now. I have my eye on the Chartres for sure.

maiboo
December 14th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I have the Bourgogne in broad that turned into a stub by Pendleton Brown (he did a fantastic job btw). I also have the Shoji and the new Chartres Blue, both in medium nib. I am going to get one of the medium turned into a cursive italic or stub. I really love them so far. They write very smooth and wet, just the way I like my pens. It's fantastic out of the box. The reason why I have turned to these is that I get pretty annoyed when I take my pen out after a week and it doesn't write right away. It's a pet peeve of mine and the pens that does that gets shelved. I'm not saying that only these pens will do that, I have a Pilot Custom 823 that is a very reliable writer and one of my favorites as well, that one is always in my rotation.

KarloT
December 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
The nib and feed on the Century are different from the older 3776s. The nib appears to be longer and slightly wider.

I was able to handle one at a shop and for my grip, the threads were hard to ignore. Not something I have felt on the Celluloid series or the President.

The Platinum nibs tend to have more feedback than Sailor or Pilot but I like this quirk. Also, the nib on my 3776 Zogan stays wet even after 10 minutes uncapped. My Sailor 1911 Large would dry up in under two minutes.

liapuyat
April 22nd, 2013, 06:56 AM
I saw and tried out KarloT's Chartres F pen, and eventually ordered a Chartres M. The ink flow is more generous than I am accustomed to in a Japanese pen, and I like it. The M nib writes like a Pelikan F and I like that about it, too. The translucent blue of the barrel is lovely, and I enjoy looking at the pen as I write.

jor412
April 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
I have the 3776 Bourgogne, and as others have pointed out on FPN and elsewhere, it uses the same nib as the Nakaya standard models. I think what impresses me the most about my 3776 is the nib. It's very smooth and writes beautifully. The finishes are also nice for the price point (less than $200). It has me wanting more Platinum pens now. I have my eye on the Chartres for sure.

Me too @ Bourgogne & hankering after the Chartres now. I really like this pen though I think I've so far spent more time admiring its looks then using it. :bounce:

I saw and tried out KarloT's Chartres F pen, and eventually ordered a Chartres M. The ink flow is more generous than I am accustomed to in a Japanese pen, and I like it. The M nib writes like a Pelikan F and I like that about it, too. The translucent blue of the barrel is lovely, and I enjoy looking at the pen as I write.

I had been eying the Bourgogne for some time and when you referred to me KarloT's blog post and wonderful photos, that was the last push for me. hehe

KrazyIvan
April 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
I have a Platinum 3776 with a BB nib. I still have to review it for my blog.

jor412
April 22nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Oh I forgot. I have the fine nib. Love the way it writes. I've loaded my Bourgogne with Noodler's Burma Road Brown which tends to dry up quickly in other pens. So far, the slip and seal mechanism works perfect. :)

gwgtaylor
April 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
I had a shoji century and returned it uninked due to the very poor build quality so I don't know about the nib. She shoji is a demonstrator and mine had a nasty looking injection molding mark on the section. Really ugly.

I recently got a Platinum President with a broad nib. It also has poor build quality with a protruding end cap trim ring and an overall feeling of cheapness. The nib is nice but doesn't quite save the pen.

I would say don't get a century unless you can inspect and try the pen befor you buy it or if the seller has a good return policy.

I've had markedly better results with multiple pilots and sailors. What an odd sentence.

Hope this helps.
-gerald

jor412
April 22nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
I've had markedly better results with multiple pilots and sailors. What an odd sentence.

-gerald

Too bad about your Shoji. But that is one hilarious sentence. :pound:

Rollo the Cat
April 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Platinum nibs give any line variation? Not flex, just the abiltity to create wider lines with pressure. Are they nails or springs?

jor412
April 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
They're not exactly nails but I didn't notice any line variation. Nibs.com offers the 3776 Century pens with soft fine nibs at the same price as the usual nibs.

UK Mike
April 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I would agree with you there - I have three Platinum 3776 Century's and although you can see the nib springing, there is not very much line variation.

Contrary to gwgtaylors experience, all my Platinums have been in perfect condition and have written excellently straight out of the box. I also have a Falcon and a Sailor 1911 with 21k nib and I prefer the Platinums because they are smoother - although the Sailor does have a lovely sound on the paper, it costs twice as much as the Platinum with no real difference in the finish.

RudyR
April 26th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I had a shoji century and returned it uninked due to the very poor build quality so I don't know about the nib. She shoji is a demonstrator and mine had a nasty looking injection molding mark on the section. Really ugly.

I recently got a Platinum President with a broad nib. It also has poor build quality with a protruding end cap trim ring and an overall feeling of cheapness. The nib is nice but doesn't quite save the pen.

I would say don't get a century unless you can inspect and try the pen befor you buy it or if the seller has a good return policy.

Hope this helps.
-gerald

I have to confirm the section marks on the Shoji. I was also going to return it until I wrote with it. Thats what saved it from being returned. I find though, that the build quality of the Sailor pens are quite a bit better than the Platinum. On the other hand, my Sailor does scratch and the sweet spot is extremely small. I demoed a Sailor Pro Gear and the nib was wonderful. Maybe Sailor Nibs are hit or miss. I should buy more Sailor pens. For science you know.

gwgtaylor
April 26th, 2013, 11:11 PM

Hope this helps.
-gerald

I have to confirm the section marks on the Shoji. I was also going to return it until I wrote with it. Thats what saved it from being returned. I find though, that the build quality of the Sailor pens are quite a bit better than the Platinum. On the other hand, my Sailor does scratch and the sweet spot is extremely small. I demoed a Sailor Pro Gear and the nib was wonderful. Maybe Sailor Nibs are hit or miss. I should buy more Sailor pens. For science you know.

:-) for science. You owe it to the community!

I've got a large 1911 with a 21K H-MF nib and the thing is a masterpiece. Pound for pound as well made as my Mont Blanc 146 at a fraction of the vost

Waski_the_Squirrel
April 27th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I own a Shoji. As another poster noted, it has lots of injection marks and other funny cracks and marks of other kinds. It writes all right, but I'm not overly impressed. The best thing about it is color. There is some flex to the nib, but not a lot. It also seems a lot pickier than my other pens about exactly how it is turned in my hand while I write.

KrazyIvan
April 27th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Odd, my Platinum 3776 has no unusual injection molding stuff. Is it possible that eBay versions could be factory seconds?

jor412
April 28th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Maybe only the Shojis have the injection molding problem. Several of us here have the bourgogne and chartres versions and none of our pens have such defects. I know someone who's waiting for a Motosu, the Shoji's predecessor. Will ask him about it.

ransky
April 28th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I have a Shoji as well purchased from a reputable online pen store. It has an injection defect in the section and a small spidery stress crack at the very end of the barrel. I didn't inspect the pen carefully when I received it so I can't say if the crack is something that developed over time. However, the build quality overall just doesn't make me say, 'wow.' Feels a little cheap (cringe). My nib, a soft fine, sorry to say, was very scratchy out of the box. It could be my impression of the pen is tainted due to the nib. I notice slight line variation with the nib, but it doesn't approach my Pilot Falcon soft fine in this regard. Wish I could say I enjoyed this pen more. On the plus side, the slip and seal mechanism in the cap works great - no nib dry out seen.

gwgtaylor
April 28th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Odd, my Platinum 3776 has no unusual injection molding stuff. Is it possible that eBay versions could be factory seconds?

When I bought mine at launch from the goulets and received it shortly thereafter I was horrified by the marks and took pictures and emailed them to Brian. He confirmed the marks were on all of his inventory.

Shame on Platinum. If you're gonna do a demonstrator, do it right.

jor412
April 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I'd be miffed too. The 3776 Century isn't a cheap pen, and the clear demos are more expensive than the other colors.

Nonsensical
May 2nd, 2013, 10:36 PM
I have a Platinum Chatres Blue, and just ordered a Bourgogne. I went with a fine nib the first time...and the second time. I have to admit the nibs are very very very good. I'm partial to Sailor pens, because of the build quality and the stiffer nibs, but the Platinum nibs are better, to be honest (from my very limited experience so far).

I've also tried the lower end Platinum pens, and was mostly diasappointed, which is why I waited until just 3 months ago to pull the trigger on my first higher-end Platinum.

Pilot pens also have very good nibs, and I'm especially fond of the VP/Decimo series nibs. The regular #5 nibs are too springy for me. I prefer stiff or flexible...not-quite semi-flex doesn't appeal to me.

jor412
May 3rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
I have a Platinum Chatres Blue, and just ordered a Bourgogne. I went with a fine nib the first time...and the second time. I have to admit the nibs are very very very good. I'm partial to Sailor pens, because of the build quality and the stiffer nibs, but the Platinum nibs are better, to be honest (from my very limited experience so far).

I've also tried the lower end Platinum pens, and was mostly diasappointed, which is why I waited until just 3 months ago to pull the trigger on my first higher-end Platinum.

Pilot pens also have very good nibs, and I'm especially fond of the VP/Decimo series nibs. The regular #5 nibs are too springy for me. I prefer stiff or flexible...not-quite semi-flex doesn't appeal to me.

You mention that the Platinum nibs are better, but how does the build quality of the 3776 Century compare to Sailor pens? I have no Sailors and only a slew of cheap Pilots, so these more expensive Japanese pens are a new thing for me.

pictogramax
May 3rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
I have to jump in although I don't have the CENTURY but the older 3776 SOFT FINE pen. Reading this discussion made me do a little blog post on the springiness of this pen, to sing a few praises to this kind of nib that usually gets somewhat discarded either by advocates of flexier vintage pens or cheaper semi-flex alternatives. While both of them bring truth with their arguments, this option still has a lot to offer on it's own, to someone that longs for some character in line and pleasure in getting it. Not all flex pens have to be wet noodles, after all.
http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISSE-DE-JOUR-2013-05-03.jpg
"I made this drawing on purpose, to illustrate the qualities of PLATINUM 3776 SOFT FINE nib and demonstrate it’s springiness. While not a flex nib in the vintage sense of the term, it still can provide some line variation, especially in the finer register of spectrum. You can easily pull the hairlines with it (as seen in the spots on the scarf and wrinkles around the eyes) and push it to some extent (like deeper folding in the drapery). Someone might jump at this with a “you can get more line variation from Noodler’s AHAB or KONRAD“… and while it is true considering just the extreme width of the line, PLATINUM is so much more pleasant to work with, supple to spread as much (or as little) as it can and always prompt to snap back. On top of all that, it’s a solidly built and truly reliable pen that never failed to start or perform. Makes me wonder how higher-end NAKAYA pens perform if this entry level pen is this charming."

Here's a link to the post with working links and a few others that illustrate this pen's potential:
http://www.pictogramax.com/2013/05/04/spring/
http://www.pictogramax.com/2012/11/18/esquisse-de-jour-017/
http://www.pictogramax.com/2013/02/10/esquisse-de-jour-022/
http://www.pictogramax.com/2013/02/11/esquisse-de-jour-023/
http://www.pictogramax.com/2013/02/03/esquisse-de-jour-021/

Nonsensical
May 4th, 2013, 12:40 AM

You mention that the Platinum nibs are better, but how does the build quality of the 3776 Century compare to Sailor pens? I have no Sailors and only a slew of cheap Pilots, so these more expensive Japanese pens are a new thing for me.

It's not as good as the higher-end Sailor pens, but it feels solid in my hands. No major issues, and the difference isn't very big...the plastic used does seem prone to collecting microscratches, though.

If you're after a good writing experience, I would definitely recommend both pens (the Platinum has slightly more feedback, but in a very even way, whereas the Sailor has a smaller sweet spot). Right now, I have the Platinum bug, but I still use two Sailor pens regularly - a Sailor Somiko (1911 young) with Sailor nano black, and a Sailor Sapporo mini-slim with Sailor Sei-boku.

If you're after a very smooth writing experience, the Pilot VP/Decimo nibs are great. I have a Decimo with a fine nib, and it writes smoother and wetter than my Platinum. Also a great choice, if the clip placement isn't an issue.

jor412
May 4th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Oh I see. I'll take better care of my Platinum to avoid the microscratches as much as possible.

Thanks for the comparisons. One of our B&M shops sells Sailor pens and they're expensive here but sounds like they're worth looking into. I've mostly been drooling past the shop window. :P

I've tested my friends' VPs and they're great, plus the click mechanism is pretty cool, except I can't get my hands to hold them right so the clip is an issue for me. For the Pilots, I'm considering a custom 74 with an F nib. I've tested this, too, and rather liked the nib -- smooth with a tiny bit of spring. My friend said he trained the "spring" into the nib.

UK Mike
May 6th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I have Sailor 1911 and Platinum 3776 pens.

The Sailor is very slightly bigger and fatter and I would say there is very little difference in the quality of materials or the way they write. The gold banding on the Sailor has a few tiny details that show it to be the more luxurious pen, as does the 21k nib. The Platinum does have a superior converter and in isolation looks identical to the Sailor.
Sailor nibs are closer to European sizes - maybe half a size smaller. I originally got a Broad Sailor but it was too broad for me - luckily it was changed at no cost, without a problem.
Platinum nibs are typically Japanese in sizing, being at least one size finer than Europens. For example, my medium Platinum gives a finer line than a Fine Lamy Studio/Safari/Z50 type.

In practice, if you want a pen to use, the Platinum at half the price of the Sailor is a clear winner with no disadvantages.

I have been completely won over by Japanese pens and prefer them over the the likes of Montblanc and Pelikan, for the feel and character of the nibs. When you consider that a Platinum 3776 costs about the same as a Pelikan M200, it appears to be a real bargain.

pictogramax
May 6th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Yes, my Fine Platinum is indeed very fine. And completely agree with statement that 3776 is really a great pen at very good price.