PDA

View Full Version : OMAS Qualtiy?

fountainpenkid
December 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Don't get me wrong: The Paragon is my new favorite pen (after its nib was tuned). The size, feel and design are awesome. But is it very precisely made like my Pelikan m400? No. There are actually little bite marks like the TWSBI Mini had on its cap. The pen was bought NOS, (though from 1990) so I don't think a previous user messed with it. The pen is shiny until you uncap it, where the section just above the grip is not shiny and machining marks can be seen. The piston is smooth enough, but feels very crappy. The underside of the feed is rough. The clip's gold plating isn't perfect. I could go on and on :( I am not selling this pen, as the design is sooooo nice and the nib is a nice semi flex and it doesn't leak whatsoever (like, no nib creep AT ALL!). But god, OMAS pens were/are(?) shoddily made(for a $200+ pen, mind you). Has anyone had a similar experience in terms of precision of manufacture? It is all alright in the end because these pens have so much character to them...

Best!

jar
December 10th, 2012, 03:42 PM
If you want cold precision, go to Germany, but if you want life and joy and passion, it is Italy.

fountainpenkid
December 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
If you want cold precision, go to Germany, but if you want life and joy and passion, it is Italy.

I guess thats right. Though I would hardly call my white torty cold. Somewhat stale design, but still nice overall.

fountainpenkid
December 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I wonder I I will think my MB 142 is cold and stale when it comes...

snedwos
December 15th, 2012, 12:39 PM
How can you call Pelikans stale? :jaw: "Timeless" is the word you're looking for.

fountainpenkid
December 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM
How can you call Pelikans stale? :jaw: "Timeless" is the word you're looking for.
I don't think they're that stale...i mis-spoke. I do think timeless better fits my impression of the souveran design. t

dleibow
January 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM
A couple of thoughts. If there are teeth marks and tool marks on the section, something is wrong with the way the pen was advertised to you. I have never had an Omas pen come to me like that, even ones that have been used. Regarding the piston, if you bought a celluloid pen the pistons are always much stiffer in Omas pens than in their regular plastic pens. If you have the regular plastic pen then there must be some problem with the piston. If from 1990 then the discoloration on the clip may just be from age. If the piston is defective, check with Kenro about whether they can repair it. I had an older 360 that had a leaky piston and they repaired it very nicely and quickly.

fountainpenkid
January 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM
The pen is resin, and the piston is o.k (it is smooth, but feels "cheap" when you turn it)--it doesn't have any problem sucking up ink. The bite marks are tiny and they are next to the rings on the cap...I think it was a result of a tool swiping the resin as the ring was being put on (guessing).

Thanks!

Jon Szanto
January 5th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Am I to understand you are questioning the aesthetics and quality of a multi-decades old pen manufacturer based on one pen?

As for the artistic goals and methods of German vs. Italian products, sure, I'd go along with the summation. Mercedes Benz vs. Lamborghini. Craft vs. Art. Engineering vs. Passion. Sometimes life is messy and imperfect, but that isn't always a bad thing.

fountainpenkid
January 6th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Am I to understand you are questioning the aesthetics and quality of a multi-decades old pen manufacturer based on one pen?

As for the artistic goals and methods of German vs. Italian products, sure, I'd go along with the summation. Mercedes Benz vs. Lamborghini. Craft vs. Art. Engineering vs. Passion. Sometimes life is messy and imperfect, but that isn't always a bad thing.
I'm certainly not questioning the aesthetics...I love the design of the old style Paragon. And I may have one pen, but I've heard of problems with other OMAS pens as well...plating wearing off way too fast, piston problems, nib problems. But I agree in the end. The character of my OMAS was too strong to let it go because of its faulty nib...

Robert
January 6th, 2013, 09:00 AM
My experience with Omas has been nothing but positive. I own two Paragons - full size and Milord - and a 360 Vintage (the recent limited edition in blue cotton resin), and all three pens are wonderful. The fit and finish on all three is first class, and the pistons are quite smooth. I acquired the large Paragon new in the early 1990's, and used it as my main daily writer for many years with absolutely no problems. I bought the smaller Paragon in the mid-90's. It has seen "off and on" use over the years, and I recently had John Mottishaw swap the original medium nib for a new No. 6 broad nib ground to left oblique. I couldn't be happier with the results.

fountainpenkid
January 6th, 2013, 11:37 AM
My experience with Omas has been nothing but positive. I own two Paragons - full size and Milord - and a 360 Vintage (the recent limited edition in blue cotton resin), and all three pens are wonderful. The fit and finish on all three is first class, and the pistons are quite smooth. I acquired the large Paragon new in the early 1990's, and used it as my main daily writer for many years with absolutely no problems. I bought the smaller Paragon in the mid-90's. It has seen "off and on" use over the years, and I recently had John Mottishaw swap the original medium nib for a new No. 6 broad nib ground to left oblique. I couldn't be happier with the results.
Great to hear! I don't think they have a huge problem like TWSBI did (or does?), but it seems people end up with a bit more duds than with Pelikan or something...
I think I gave the impression that I am turned away from the OMAS brand. Not at all! I accept the problems and will continue to get more if I can because they have so much character.

john
April 21st, 2013, 08:01 PM
I have a black resin Milord which is NOS , I like the shape and the flexible nib. But I don't know why I can't polish the cotton resin in high gloss. Anyone can chime in to give me a hint? Thanks.