PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Duocart And 888P Replacement Cartridges

jar
March 8th, 2016, 11:05 AM
The cartridges for the Aurora DuoCart and 888P have not been made in many decades and the Platinum cartridges and converters usually work as a replacement. But not always. I have an 888P that had an air leak if used with the Platinum cartridges and converters; worked great except if I held the pen nib down drops of ink would just fall on the page. The modern Platinum cartridges/converters simply did not seal adequately.

In desperation I thought I'd try one of the $1.00 Platinum adapters that allow using standard international cartridges and converters in Platinum and Nakaya fountain pens. It's made of a fairly soft rubber like material.

http://www.fototime.com/1B3C251F4CFB161/standard.jpg

I didn't expect much, it really should behave pretty much like all cartridges and converters, but instead, IT WORKS. No more drops. A cartridge fits with no problem. Most converter shafts are about a ¼" too long to fit in the body when using the adapter and so they may require slight modification.

But this certainly seems the best least expensive solution to get all those DuoCart and 888P pens back in service. I'll try to remember to get back in a few days with a longer term analysis.

migo984
March 8th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Very useful information, thanks Jar.
It's always worth experimenting with converters isn't it. For example, after a few trials I found the Pilot Con-20 fitted my Geha Steno perfectly. Happy days :-)