PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Pro Gear 'Earth' coming in July!

inklord
March 9th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Whilst browsing through Brian Anderson's offerings, I noticed that a new edition of the Sailor Pro Gear in all three sizes is pending - this time the 'Earth' edition. The earthy brown is just what I've been looking for in a future pen... There's very little info on this pen available so far, but it seems to follow the pattern of the Pro Gear 'Sky', albeit with a slightly less transparent resin and gold-colored nib and trim. Release in the US is scheduled for July 2016.:)

http://www.andersonpens.com/Sailor-Pro-Gear-Earth-s/2557.htm

penwash
March 9th, 2016, 11:39 AM
That is a pretty color.
Does anyone know the relative size difference between the KOP vs the Standard vs the Slim version of this pen?

Titivillus
March 9th, 2016, 11:56 AM
The brown seems to have a red cast, I'd love to know if that is true.

Thecla
March 9th, 2016, 12:19 PM
That is a pretty color.
Does anyone know the relative size difference between the KOP vs the Standard vs the Slim version of this pen?

Here is a link to a good size comparison: http://www.sailor.co.jp/EXPORT/professional_g/
Note that the diameters include the clip.
My 1911 Standard (same diameter as Pro Gear Slim) is about 14.7 mm at the cap band.

inklord
March 9th, 2016, 01:07 PM
The brown seems to have a red cast, I'd love to know if that is true.

I've been told that the color is to be an earth brown with red undertones - which would confirm what seems evident from the pictures. I hope Sailor will re-introduce a reddish-brown ink as well...

migo984
March 9th, 2016, 01:08 PM
So that's Sky & Earth. I wonder if Water & Fire will be forthcoming in future years?

inklord
March 9th, 2016, 01:11 PM
So that's Sky & Earth. I wonder if Water & Fire will be forthcoming in future years?

;) ...

penwash
March 9th, 2016, 11:45 PM

Or ... Wind & Fire :)

Silverbreeze
March 10th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Fire and Wood, as Asian mystical elements are not the same as Western

migo984
March 10th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Fire and Wood, as Asian mystical elements are not the same as Western

Indeed. I know of at least five different sets of mystical elements. And the possibilities could be unlimited if they are Shinto pens :-)

Silverbreeze
March 10th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I know Wood Metal and Life are added in at least one Asian system

VertOlive
March 10th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Very nice color, but still coveting the Black Velvet...

DASEFnib
March 11th, 2016, 02:18 AM
NOTE TO ALL!!
Spoke with Dave at Anderson Pens yesterday....
Their website shows the Pro Gear SLIM as having 21k nibs....
THIS IS A TYPO....AND IS BEING FIXED!!
Like the Soporro (Blue) before it....the SLIM model uses a 14k nib; the 2 higher-priced models DO use the 21k....
I'm still planning to pre-order the Slim (I won't say who from.....!!;))...but I gotta wait 'til finances "mellow out" a tad....!!:facepalm:

Always try to get the dibs...on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Silverbreeze
March 11th, 2016, 10:40 AM
NOTE TO ALL!!
Like the Soporro (Blue) before it....the SLIM model uses a 14k nib; the 2 higher-priced models DO use the 21k....
I'm still planning to pre-order the Slim (I won't say who from.....!!;))...but I gotta wait 'til finances "mellow out" a tad....!!:facepalm:

tAx season sucks

Crazyorange
March 11th, 2016, 11:16 AM
NOTE TO ALL!!

tAx season sucks

Say that again [emoji852]

Neo
March 11th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Tax season sucks.

DASEFnib
March 12th, 2016, 02:34 AM
Tax season sucks.
Yep!!!
First time in a half century in the workplace...wife and I gotta PAY IN instead of getting a refund!!:cry:
"Hey, Uncle Sam!!! Guess what???!! The check's in the mail!!";)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

inklord
July 23rd, 2016, 05:54 PM
So, I just received my new Sailor Pro Gear Earth; for some reason Sailor nibs and my hand never seem to get along initially, though later on it's usually a love affair, so I simulated a few dozen pages of writing on a bit of jewelry cloth...
That done, the pen was filled with Franklin-Christoph's Brown 732 Writing Fluid. Wow! This is a hard medium, but it's about as soft as a Pilot nib (which I recall as usually being softer than Sailor nibs). Nice flow variation and a bit of line variation, and the brown semi-transparent body is an understated beauty. As all Pro-Gears, this is of course a rather short and fat pen (shorter than a Peli M400 when uncapped, as girthy as a M800 or MB146) which suits me well. Great everyday writer. Now Sailor should come out with a new reddish-brown ink! For all who hate bicolor nibs: this one is monochrome gold!
PS: the pen is a much lighter shade of brown than in the image, but I'm still trying to figure out post-20th century tech... ;)