PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone, I'm PathOfLily from Toronto!

PathOfLily
March 9th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm PathOfLily from Toronto, so nice to virtually meet you all!

I suppose my story with fountain pens started at the tender age of 10.
My cute parents had an old fashioned charm and they believed at the time that there could only be two paths in life, hard labor or office work.
To achieve success in an office, they thought that penmanship was key... Sounded logical to me! lol
So I often heard growing up "Why don't you practice your penmanship Lily? Beautiful handwriting leaves a wonderful first impression."

One day I received a Sheaffer Calligraphy Set from an older cousin and it had two pens, three nibs, and fourteen cartridges but no instructions.
I was in heaven...
I spent hours on end playing with these and learning the mechanics as well as troubleshooting strategies through logical trial and error.
After all, I was just a child with no adult guidance or written instructions whatsoever, so I just had to figure it all out on my own. lol
It was a magical time and I learned so much: assembling, disassembling, flow, cleaning, tweaking the tines for better alignment, and more.
My precious calligraphy set was a wonderful joy for years until I finally ran out of ink and had to put it away...

Fast forward to present day a couple decades later, I think of the fond memories I had when I was playing with my beloved calligraphy set.
I've decided that I intend to get back into fountain pens again and although I've been using disposable fountain pens here and there in the last year, I think I want to delve a little deeper. There seems to be a calling here, an adventure, a new yet old path I must experience. :)

I think I'll start small, maybe a Pilot Metropolitan, a Jinhao, a simple dip pen, a glass pen, and some ink samples to start.
Let's see where it takes me right? If I get really adventurous, maybe I'll try a flex nib. lol
I do already have a few different passions and hobbies that take my time, but I'll try to share some snippets of my pen/ink/paper journey on here as well on social media once in a while. :)

Wish me luck!
PathOfLily

jar
March 9th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Anne
March 9th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Hello and Welcome PathOfLily!:)

southpaw52
March 9th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Welcome, to fp geekdom.

Crazyorange
March 9th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

PathOfLily
March 9th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Thank you so much for the warm welcomes everyone! :D

caribbean_skye
March 9th, 2016, 07:22 PM
welcome welcome. thanks for sharing your story with us

Hawk
March 9th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Welcome.

Jeph
March 9th, 2016, 07:51 PM
:welcome:

distracted_mom
March 9th, 2016, 08:03 PM
I also fell in love with fountain pens because of a Sheaffer Calligraphy set. :)
Welcome!

Morgaine
March 10th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Hello and welcome.

writingrav
March 10th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Welcome to the madness. Indulge!

gwgtaylor
March 10th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the fun and games! You should come out to the Toronto Pens and Pints next Friday if you're interested

gwgtaylor
March 10th, 2016, 07:51 PM
(Also I got my start with that same set when I was a kid. Nice memories)

PathOfLily
March 10th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Thank you so much for the warm welcomes everyone! I sure feel the love here lol
It's so cool to virtually meet you all and what a nice surprise to know that there were so many of us that started with the same set.
How very neat! :D

@gwgtaylor this Toronto Pens and Pints sounds like a lot of fun! Where may I get more information? :D
I will be at a celebration dinner next Friday but would love so much to attend the next one if possible ^^

gwgtaylor
March 10th, 2016, 09:01 PM
We meet once a month and it is organized through a BBM group. Will PM you details

Wahl
March 11th, 2016, 09:52 AM

Bisquitlips
March 18th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Welcome from Missouri!