PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the Kaigelu 316 nib, nib replacement, Bock nib

phzervas
March 11th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Hi, this is concerning people with Kaigelu 316 fountain pens that wish to upgrade their writing experience.

One can replace the existing nib with a 250 Bock housing and a #6 nib along with a Beaufort Standard International cartridge converter. All it takes is removing the Kaigelu nib housing and inserting a new 250 Bock housing with a #6 nib which comes in all sizes from EF, F, M, B, 1.1 and 1.5 italics, both in 2-tone plated stainless steel and also in gold (more expensive). In addition a new standard international cartridge converter is required, same one as it is used in some Pelikan fountain pens that accept c/c. The cost of this pen modification using a stainless steel Bock nib is less than $20, and it immensely upgrades the writing quality of the pen.

The details of this modification are described here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302951-kaigelu-316-modification-250-6-bock-nib-beaufort-ink-converter/

I hope people with a Kaigelu 316 may find this useful. Regards, Photios

SteveE
March 17th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Are there any problems with the #6 nib hitting the inner cap? IIRC, the standard Kaigelu nib is a #5.

phzervas
March 17th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Hi Steve,

I have not had any problem with my new #6 Bock EF and F nib hitting in the inner cap, and this applies both sideways and lengthwise. No problem notsoever. If in doubt try extending your existing Kaigelu nib 1-1.5 mm lengthwise and see if it will fit inside your cap without hitting it. In both my Kaigelu 316's, I did not have a problem in this respect. Also, other users who have done the same modification (one of them used Bock 1.1 italic nib) and reported their results in my thread in FPN have not had any issues either, at least not that I am aware of.

Furthermore, the original Kaigelu nib is not a #5 nib, it is a little smaller that a #6 nib, and a lot larger than a #5 nib; t is a lot closer to the dimensions of the #6 nib than the dimensions of the #5 nib. That is why a regular #6 Jowo or Bock nib is difficult to be inserted in the Kaigelu housing without having to trim either the nib or the internal surface of the housing itself, to make them fit together, a procedure that can be quite tedious.

I am new in this blog, so I am not familiar how to upload images in this forum, but if you have any more questions about this, please feel free to let me know and I will try to take some pictures and post them here or my original thread in found here http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302951-kaigelu-316-modification-250-6-bock-nib-beaufort-ink-converter/page-3

I bought my replacement nib and cartridge converter from Beaufort Ink in the UK. I do not know who the Bock nib distributor is in the USA, if you have any idea about it yourself, please feel free to post here, so other viewers and myself will learn. Many thanks,

Photios

Flounder
March 17th, 2016, 11:24 AM
There does seem to be an unusually generous amount of free space in the 316 cap. In lieu of a depth gauge, stick a tall blob of rodico at the end of the nib, and screw the cap on. It won't be squished!

phzervas
March 17th, 2016, 12:32 PM
There does seem to be an unusually generous amount of free space in the 316 cap. In lieu of a depth gauge, stick a tall blob of rodico at the end of the nib, and screw the cap on. It won't be squished!

Thanks Flounder for your input, best regards, Photios

SteveE
March 21st, 2016, 01:11 PM
Thanks, for the update, phzervas. I also participate at FPN, so I did see the other thread there. I'll have to say that IMHO the larger nib completes the look of the Kaigelu.

Now I just have to look among my spare parts for a Bock feed and collar. I'm sure I have a nib, but not sure about the feed and collar.