PDA

View Full Version : Slowly but surely...

fountainpenkid
December 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
...growing a collection of Slender Vacumatics of the 1st generation (before 1938--lock down filler, high cachet model.)

The grey one can be seen on "Will Platt Shows us his Daily Carry pens" at FPGeeks. I just got a brown one. It needs a restoration real bad...seems to be some corrosion on it :(. But it will be brought back to life. :) After christmas, I will have enough money to buy one in Burgundy from a seller on FPN (using my "fake" FPN account that I use so that I can get pens I want.). The grey pearl vac cost $101 in total. The golden pearl will cost about the same once the restoration job is done. But they are both not excellent examples--their imprints are worn, their is barrel, cap and trim wear...etc. The burgundy, on the other hand, came from Gary Lerher labeled as "Near Mint+" That explains the $170 I will pay for it. My goal is to collect all of the 5 colors that the slender vacs were made in: Grey Pearl, Golden Pearl (Brown Pearl), Burgundy Pearl, Emerald Pearl, and Black stripe. I have yet to see a black slender vac (high cachet model, not the junior model with two cap rings), but they exist nonetheless. I once thought I never would want to collect any pens purposely, but the slender vacs are really cool pens, and not too hard to find, and not too expensive. Does anyone else plan ahead to collect all colors/trims/models of a certain Parker pen (or any pen in general for that matter.)?

Best,

jar
December 13th, 2012, 08:16 AM
After christmas, I will have enough money to buy one in Burgundy from a seller on FPN (using my "fake" FPN account that I use so that I can get pens I want.).

Will, time for another dope slap. If you have to use a fake account for something then you need to stop and think about whether you really should be doing it.

fountainpenkid
December 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
It is a fake account because I banned myself from the forum (yes, I banned myself, not really the other way around.) They run a tight ship there, and I don't like it one bit. This forum is much smaller but is fine. Combined with Fountain Pen Board (a vintage collecting forum), I have all the forum-ness I need. I would rather not go any farther with this. I did make mistakes on that forum and was too young to be on it in the first place. I think as a sophomore in high school, I now now what not to do(for the most part) on forums. But are you saying that I shouldn't buy or do any more fountain pens stuff? Maybe you're right--maybe I'm living in a fantasy land and should slap myself back to reality. I don't know. That's what my dad says. I consider it, to be honest.