PDA

View Full Version : Pen Show Do's and Don't"s

southpaw52
March 12th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Hopefully this year I will be attending both the Dallas and D.C. pen shows. I have never been to a major pen show before.

I looking for some guidelines of the do's and don't's, how to prepare for a major show.

lsmith42
March 12th, 2016, 02:22 PM
DO bring cash

DON'T let the grumpy old farts intimidate you

carlos.q
March 12th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Go over to richardspens.com and on the left column select "reference pages". Once there you will find the subject: "Pen shows". Enjoy... :thumb:

Roger W.
March 12th, 2016, 04:37 PM
DO bring cash

At the Chicago show we've taken to heart the grumpy old farts piece. We are having an east meets west Saturday night with Brad Dowdy and Paul Erano. Brad is the Penaddict if you've caught him on the net and listened to any of his podcasts - clearly a well liked millennial favorite and Paul is of the black pen society and a well liked and appreciated old fart (Paul forgive me for putting it that way). Many of the old farts are really nice guys and I don't think they get it that they are often seen as grumpy. I've been around the Chicago show a good 20 years and I find some of the guys grumpy. I had two of my kids with me last year and one of these grumpy old gentlemen stopped and took the time to really talk with my kids. Is he grumpy sometimes, probably but, has my opinion changed about the guy, definitely! It is a problem though as many of the young new show goers are intimidated and that is the last thing that shows need. Chicago will certainly have friendliness as an up front goal of the show. We want new show goers and we want them coming back.

Roger Wooten
Business Manager
Chicago Pen Show

penwash
March 12th, 2016, 08:15 PM
DO bring cash

At the Chicago show we've taken to heart the grumpy old farts piece. We are having an east meets west Saturday night with Brad Dowdy and Paul Erano. Brad is the Penaddict if you've caught him on the net and listened to any of his podcasts - clearly a well liked millennial favorite and Paul is of the black pen society and a well liked and appreciated old fart (Paul forgive me for putting it that way). Many of the old farts are really nice guys and I don't think they get it that they are often seen as grumpy. I've been around the Chicago show a good 20 years and I find some of the guys grumpy. I had two of my kids with me last year and one of these grumpy old gentlemen stopped and took the time to really talk with my kids. Is he grumpy sometimes, probably but, has my opinion changed about the guy, definitely! It is a problem though as many of the young new show goers are intimidated and that is the last thing that shows need. Chicago will certainly have friendliness as an up front goal of the show. We want new show goers and we want them coming back.

Roger Wooten
Business Manager
Chicago Pen Show

Absolutely.
You don't have to be old to be a fart and grumpy.

When you have 30 to 50 years of experience, it's hard to connect with those who has almost zero.
I don't blame the seller/dealers who are curt and abrupt in their communications. Asking questions like "What is your favorite brand? And why you like it?" almost always break the ice and lead to an interesting exchange.

I'll be helping out at the Dallas Pen Show this coming September. A large departure from being the "noob" last year. And I am quite excited.