PDA

View Full Version : looking for some advice.

proudscotsman
December 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hello to all the FP fans,
I am seeking a bit of advice and some recommendations. I have always been interested in Fountain Pens and just within the last six months made the switch to using them exclusively. I have picked up several Chinese pens and just recently got a couple Noodlers Ahabs.

My question is this; I would like to get myself a higher end pen as a self gift for Christmas. I like the hooded or streamline designs, such as the Parker 51 or the conical nibs from Schaeffer. I do enjoy the ahab but I’m looking for a pen that has a more professional look, for lack of a better term. I want to keep in the one hundred dollar and under range but still get a good pen that will last. I was looking at the Lamy Studio as an option. I did own a Safari and loved the smooth nib but was not impressed with the look of the pen.

So here is what I’m looking for: A Fountain pen with a hooded or streamlined body and nib, with a barrel around the size of the Ahab. Smooth performance in a XF or F nib, a bit of style and a professional look to be used every day, all for a hundred bucks or less.
Any recommendations or advice would be great.

fountainpenkid
December 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM
vintage Aurora 88. Excellent pens: here's my review: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1433-Vintage-Aurora-88-A-Review. A hundred bucks or less?--look around here and on FPN for a sale by david1600--who sells them for around $80.

Best!

Maja
December 14th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Well, you might be able to find a used Lamy '2000' for <$100, but it's not as thick as an Ahab.....
It is, however, a great pen and very classy-looking :)

snedwos
December 14th, 2012, 02:53 AM
The Waterman Hémisphère is quite nice, as is the Monteverde Prima.

Although not the design you wanted -- *READ, SAM!* *facepalm*

fountainpenkid
December 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Well, you might be able to find a used Lamy '2000' for <$100, but it's not as thick as an Ahab.....
It is, however, a great pen and very classy-looking :)

+1.

proudscotsman
December 15th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I do like the look of the Aurora 88. Thanks for the advice.

fountainpenkid
December 15th, 2012, 12:58 PM
you're very welcome. they are great pens.

Sailor Kenshin
December 15th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I do like the look of the Aurora 88. Thanks for the advice.

Why not a Parker? I think you can still get vintage at that price.

fountainpenkid
December 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Why not a Parker? I think you can still get vintage at that price.

the thickness...the op wanted a "fatter" pen. the vintage 88 is fatter than the 51.

proudscotsman
December 24th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Well I decided to pick up the Lamy Studio with both the 1.1 and 1.5 italic nibs. I will be keeping my eyes open for an Aurora 88 though. Thanks for the advice guys.

Maja
December 26th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Lamy Studios are great pens! Please let us know how you like writing with the pen and the two nibs :)

gwgtaylor
December 26th, 2012, 05:46 AM
A pen which exactly meets your criteria is the Parker 100. This pen was released and priced between the sonnet and duofold. It's a modern (and IMHO superior) redesign/rethinking of the parker 51. It's lacquered brass and heavy with shimmery gold or titanium caps. It's one of my favourite designs and I'm very sad it had a short life. You might be able to get one used in your price range or brand new for 200 or so. (New old stock)

It also has the added convenience of being cartridge/converter which, if you're buying a pen in this price range, should come with that convenience. It makes the pen suitable for travel.

Hope this helps
-geralf

fountainpenkid
December 26th, 2012, 10:23 AM
A pen which exactly meets your criteria is the Parker 100. This pen was released and priced between the sonnet and duofold. It's a modern (and IMHO superior) redesign/rethinking of the parker 51. It's lacquered brass and heavy with shimmery gold or titanium caps. It's one of my favourite designs and I'm very sad it had a short life. You might be able to get one used in your price range or brand new for 200 or so. (New old stock)

It also has the added convenience of being cartridge/converter which, if you're buying a pen in this price range, should come with that convenience. It makes the pen suitable for travel.

Hope this helps
-geralf

Those do look cool. But the Parker 51 is just as easy to travel with....at least an aero version....Aurora 88....maybe not as much.

proudscotsman
December 26th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Ok here it goes. I got the Studio on Christmas Eve. I have to give Props to the Goulets; it was to my door in 3 days. I opened the box flushed the pen and started writing. I didn't quit for 2 hours. The nibs are very smooth and lay down a beautiful line. The 1.5 is a bit wide for my normal hand but it looks so fantastic when you take the time to relax and just let it flow. The 1.1 will become my everyday use now. It’s very smooth and really brings out the shading on the couple inks I have put through it so far. I have Private Reserve Ebony Purple in it now and its fantastic in the italic; it shades beautifully and really lets the purple come through. I wasn’t impressed with the ink in my Ahab; it just looked black on the paper.

gwgtaylor
December 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Sounds lovely! Goulets are great.

proudscotsman
December 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Hope this helps
-geralf

I want to thank you for the suggestion. I haven't looked closely at the Parker 100. I will defiantly look it up and see what I find.

gwgtaylor
December 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM
You're welcome. I realized after I'd posted it that you'd already made a purchase. Oops.

proudscotsman
December 26th, 2012, 06:11 PM
You're welcome. I realized after I'd posted it that you'd already made a purchase. Oops.

Welllll, there are always more pens to buy.

lpbh25
January 20th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hi proudscotsman,

You mention that you recently got a couple of Noodler's Ahabs, are you living in the UK; and did you get them from the US? I only ask this, as I am also in the UK, but I am wary of ordering from the US. I hope that you don't mind my asking, but how much was postage and did you get charged any customs/duty? I would really like to order some stuff from Goulet Pens, as they have a fantastic range of products, but the thought of being charged for customs etc ... has put me off.

snedwos
January 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Hi proudscotsman,

You mention that you recently got a couple of Noodler's Ahabs, are you living in the UK; and did you get them from the US? I only ask this, as I am also in the UK, but I am wary of ordering from the US. I hope that you don't mind my asking, but how much was postage and did you get charged any customs/duty? I would really like to order some stuff from Goulet Pens, as they have a fantastic range of products, but the thought of being charged for customs etc ... has put me off.

Niche Pens (http://www.purepens.co.uk) are where I got mine, and I think they're the only European source for Noodler's pens.

lpbh25
January 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks, snedwos.