PDA

View Full Version : LAMY Safari parts - the little rubber cup in the cap

bwperdue
March 16th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Can this piece be purchased anywhere? My Safari lost its snap when capping, and after taking it apart, I noticed the rubber cup had developed a kinked edge that was not fixable. I put in a spare cup, but it's not in much better shape and would like to source a new one. LAMY USA customer service doesn't sell parts, and shipping it to them to look at would cost almost as much as buying a new pen, which I prefer not to do...

scrivelry
March 22nd, 2016, 10:20 AM
Since a bunch of people have looked at this and no one has been able to tell you where to get this, I will give you a different answer than you asked for in case it helps.

I have a Jinhao 599 in plastic - these are often advertised on Ebay as Jinhao599A.

The cap fits on this Lamy body I have, which was nibless and capless when I got it, so I cannot conduct an experiment to tell you if this cap will keep the nib from drying out. I can, however, tell you that it fits on with a click.

I have no Lamy Safari cap with which to compare this. Squinting into the cap, it does seem there is some inner cap which may or may not be being kept on by a screw I can see down there. It is possibly possible that you could take the 599 cap apart and get that little bit, and that it might then fit in your Lamy cap, but that is all conjecture.

What I can say for sure is that the Jinhao cap will indeed click on to the Lamy barrel. If you love your Lamy and can't source the part elsewhere, just getting a Jinhao in a coordinating color and using that cap could keep the pen in rotation. You are unlikely to be able to match colors exactly, so I would suggest either black, which goes with everything, or some combination you think is "fun" if "fun" is a way you roll with your pens.

From what I have read, the Hero 359, which also looks like a Safari, doesn't have a cap you can use on a Lamy, but I have never had a 359 in my hand, so that is hearsay and I can't vouch for it either way.

I hope this is helpful.

Edited to add - this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JINHAO-599-BLACK-MEDIUM-NIB-FOUNTAIN-PEN-SILVER-TRIM-NEW-/131210251539?hash=item1e8cbd8d13:g:E~gAAOSwBLlVcgn L) is the kind you want, available from numerous sellers. I have not used this seller, it was just the first that came up on ebay.

Titivillus
March 22nd, 2016, 11:24 AM
try the Lamy website, they have parts for sale. Might have to buy the whole cap.