PDA

View Full Version : Visconti where to start

MY63
March 16th, 2016, 02:39 PM
It is some time since I purchased a fountain pen I like the style of the Visconti pens but I am unsure where to start.
I do have some issues with my hands so thin pens are out 15 mm is the smallest pen I can grip easily.

Eventually I would like to own a Homo sapiens but I need to get to know the brand before I splash out on one.

Thanks

Michael

Lady Onogaro
March 16th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Michael,

I have a Visconti Rembrandt that is rather nice. I don't know if it is too small for you, though.

tandaina
March 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
The Van Gough or Rembrant line are the most economical and easy to buy for that reason.

However, I don't think they "sell" the brand very well. I've held one that was totally "meh" with a boring as hell steel nib that didn't wow me. And I own an older Van Gough with a gold nib that's nice but nothing to write home about. The pen that SOLD me on Visconti is the Opera I have (Opera Elements in my case). Now that's a nicely made pen and worth investing some funds. At some point for me Visconti become more expensive than they are worth (to me) but the regular Opera line are pretty OK, especially if you can find them used.

MY63
March 20th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Thanks you both for taking the time to reply I agree the smaller pens are possibly too small for my hand.
The Opera is possibly the best place for me to start I may need to save for a little longer I don't mind buying used pens as long as the seller is known.

Thanks again

Michael

rpsyed
March 20th, 2016, 06:18 PM
It is some time since I purchased a fountain pen I like the style of the Visconti pens but I am unsure where to start.
I do have some issues with my hands so thin pens are out 15 mm is the smallest pen I can grip easily.

Eventually I would like to own a Homo sapiens but I need to get to know the brand before I splash out on one.

Thanks

Michael

A section width of 15 mm is going to be tough to find outside of a bespoke pen, I think. Perhaps the Visconti Speakeasy would be around there. A Montblanc 149 section is only around 13.5 mm. If you're willing to move to a different Italian brand, the Delta Dolce Vita Oversize might be close to 15 mm.

Tracy Lee
March 21st, 2016, 04:52 AM
The Homo Sapiens can be found at great prices, so don't rule them out at the outset. The nib is great, the material cool and comfortable in the hand. The hygroscopic nature of the material keeps it from getting slippery. Keep your eyes open for one, you might be surprised to find one the same price as the Elements you saw but no metal section.

StacyBean
March 21st, 2016, 10:43 AM
Having recently fallen into a Visconti vortex I proclaim: "Step away!"
I started with the Van Gogh Room in Arles (M) then the Van Gogh Maxi (M)and lastly a Wall Street Red Celluloid with a palladium stub nib. I'm using them all with pleasure. The nib on the Wall Street is simply splendid.
Now I yearn for the Homo Sapiens but will restrain myself. I drool over the Opera Masters but they are most likely too heavy for me to use comfortably.
I'm not really dissuading you or anyone from the brand. I fell so hard and fast!

MY63
March 21st, 2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks Rpsyed you are quite correct I was talking about barrel diameter rather than section I can manage my M B 149 quite easily and already have a couple of oversize Delta's which are all favourites of mine.

@Tracy Lee the Homo Sapiens is clearly a grail pen for me to be honest I had hoped to start at the mid range point but I will certainly keep my eye on the used market for one.

@Staceybean I agree it is very hard to resist these fantastic creations my main reason for posting this question was to try and avoid a costly mistake.

Thanks all

Scooby921
March 21st, 2016, 01:17 PM
My Homo Sapiens is my first and only Visconti, to date. I heard about it, looked it up, lusted after it, and bought on impulse. Totally worth it. It's hard to imagine being disappointed in this pen if you just go for it. Obviously watching the used market will get you a better price, but I really don't think looking for "entry level" Visconti pens will do justice to the writing experience the HS provides. This pen became an instant favorite. I find myself grabbing other pens less and less often. So much so that my Edison Menlo and Waterman Charleston are in dire need of cleaning because the nib and feed have dried up in both pens. I also haven't bothered to ink up and use my Pelikan 400nn or Sailor ProGear in the last four months.

inklord
March 21st, 2016, 02:41 PM
I would strongly urge you to get a good understanding of the brand, its corporate and marketing policies and the 'intrinsic value' of their products first - in the case of Visconti that might influence your buying decision quite a bit. It certainly did for me. When first deciding whether to buy from a brand new to me, I always try to understand what the brand is all about.

crystn625
April 8th, 2016, 08:07 PM
I started with the Van Gogh Room in Arles (M) then the Van Gogh Maxi (M)and lastly a Wall Street Red Celluloid with a palladium stub nib. I'm using them all with pleasure. The nib on the Wall Street is simply splendid.
Now I yearn for the Homo Sapiens but will restrain myself. I drool over the Opera Masters but they are most likely too heavy for me to use comfortably.
I'm not really dissuading you or anyone from the brand. I fell so hard and fast!

I have to completely second this. The Visconti vortex is real!! Enter at your own risk :)

Simply stunning pens, and great writers- what's not to like?

jkingrph
April 9th, 2016, 03:51 PM

I have to completely second this. The Visconti vortex is real!! Enter at your own risk :)

Simply stunning pens, and great writers- what's not to like?

That "vortex" can be real and deep, any brand, country or style pen.

I have two Visconti pens, a Homo Sapiens and find the nib absolutely delightful. The other is one of the Rebacc Moss New York models, a very large pen with a very large nib, mine is a BB and lays down a big wet line.

Bogon07
April 10th, 2016, 05:48 PM
You could try a HomoSapiens Crystal or Florentine Hills where you can see the ink levels and the working of the double reservoir power filler.

As an entry pen I would recommend the older Voyager (which was superseded by the Opera). They have gold nibs and commonly are converters although LE power fillers can be found. They don't have metal sections or finials and to my mind feel slightly better balanced than an Opera.

For example eBay seller Rozmenko has several NOS Voyagers (and also Operas) - he is also very knowledgeable with all things Visconti.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Visconti-Voyager-deep-green-14ct-Au-fine-nib-fountain-pen-MIB/222039586553?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D36213%26meid%3Db8b6389f4f544ee29044e8127e0c ac9a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D3220 46641924