PDA

View Full Version : Sellotaped Parker 51! how to remove?

amk
March 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I thought I was pretty lucky to find a Parker 51 for £5. It does have a bit of a hole in the barrel, and alas it's been sellotaped together, probably quite a long while ago as the Sellotape has now decayed into a horribly sticky gunk under a rock hard surface.

What is the best way to remove sellotape from Lucite? I've tried scraping with a fingernail or old credit card, but that's not shifting the gunk; is there a solvent that is safe to use?

Definitely want to rescue this little Parker as the cap and shell are really nice - it's just the barrel has come in for a bit of abuse.

D Armstrong
March 18th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Naphtha. Conservators use it to remove old tape residue from books, and it's perfectly safe on lucite.

amk
March 19th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Thank you! I found a bottle of white spirit (naphtha in this-side-of-Atlantic English. I have no idea why) and it was the work of about five minutes to strip the nastiness off the 51. I think I'll be able to rescue the pen - there was a crack under the tape, but it doesn't go all the way across the barrel, and the hole can be filled.

Wonderful tough little pens these 51s!

amk
April 6th, 2016, 03:09 AM
I've now epoxied the cracked barrel together with a mixture of epoxy and gold powder, and filled the hole - there'll be a little more filling to do as the epoxy has shrunk. I'm now filing and then micromeshing down the epoxy to not quite flush, and at the end of this all, I should have a working P51 with a faux-kintsugi finish. Photos are promised once it's done.

Chrissy
April 6th, 2016, 04:37 AM
What epoxy are you using that shrunk?

If you can afford to buy a pack of Araldite 20/20 that's what I use.

amk
April 6th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I'm using the end of a tube I (or rather my partner) happened to have. I've just refilled, and also used a bit of thinner so that having sanded out the worst bumps from the first try, for the second coat I can paint the epoxy on to get a nice rounded effect.

I'll make sure to get Araldite next time!

tandaina
April 6th, 2016, 02:53 PM
I've now epoxied the cracked barrel together with a mixture of epoxy and gold powder, and filled the hole - there'll be a little more filling to do as the epoxy has shrunk. I'm now filing and then micromeshing down the epoxy to not quite flush, and at the end of this all, I should have a working P51 with a faux-kintsugi finish. Photos are promised once it's done.

We definitely need photos!

amk
April 8th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Here's a photo. It's a bit rough, but better than a barrel with a huge crack and a big hole. (I used a bit of clingfilm inside to support the fill for the hole, and I've managed to extract that easily.) The epoxy has dried good and hard. If I don't like it after a while I can always sand it down... or junk the barrel and get a Kullock pretty colour one!
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t411/amk-fpn/Parker51kintsugi.jpg