PDA

View Full Version : Question for a First Visconti

wangminze
March 20th, 2016, 01:11 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my first Visconti. I'm particularly interested in the Opera Elements (the red version). I found this eBay listing. Is this an okay price for this pen?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Visconti-Opera-Elements-deep-red-bordeaux-fountain-pen-M-23kt-Pd-nib-MIB-/222055194224?nav=SEARCH
More importantly, I noticed that the section is metal. For those of you that own this pen, is this part slippery? My hand did not do well with the Kaweco AL Sport section because of the aluminum.

Thanks,
Michael

sharmon202
March 20th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Check the blog/videos at The Pen Habit or SBRE Brown for their thoughts or there is always.......Tracy Lee............

wangminze
March 20th, 2016, 09:44 PM
In SBRE Brown's video, he said the section is metal and untextured. That doesn't really tell me anything because different materials would be different. I didn't really like the raw aluminum but I have no idea if this grip would be any different.

Tracy Lee
March 21st, 2016, 04:41 AM
The metal section is extremely smooth. A lot of people tell me they don't care for it because it can feel slippery, yes. I have never felt like it was, the metal section doesn't bother me at all. The pen is heavy so if your hands are prone to moisture then it could be an issue.

To be clear on two points, I don't have this specific pen, but I do have 6 other Opera and they are the same size. It is one of my very favorite pen sizes/shapes ever. Just brilliant (to me).

As for price? Elements are harder to find now, so that price in US dollars is "okay, a bit high" but the shipping is really high making the overall cost of the pen a bit high. This pen just last year was on sale at Fahrney's for $299 plus shipping which has never been over $10 or so. Some of these models are priced wildly on Ebay, with swings of hundreds of dollars. Hard to say if you would do better but the odds are there.

wangminze
March 21st, 2016, 10:43 AM
Thank you Tracy for your reply! I am very worried about the pen feeling slippery (gosh darn it why do my hands have to be like this). The pen is just so beautiful. But the price difference you brought up seems a bit wide, so I'll be passing this one.
One more question: what is the difference between the palladium nibs and gold nibs on the Operas (besides the material)? I know SBRE Brown has the gold nib which he claims is extremely smooth. Are the palladium ones just as smooth?

Thanks,
Michael

Tracy Lee
March 22nd, 2016, 07:31 PM
Thank you Tracy for your reply! I am very worried about the pen feeling slippery (gosh darn it why do my hands have to be like this). The pen is just so beautiful. But the price difference you brought up seems a bit wide, so I'll be passing this one.
One more question: what is the difference between the palladium nibs and gold nibs on the Operas (besides the material)? I know SBRE Brown has the gold nib which he claims is extremely smooth. Are the palladium ones just as smooth?

Thanks,
Michael
They just feel different. I am a fan of gold nibs, but I love the Palladium nibs. They are soft but not flexy (I don't flex), and have almost no feedback. At least, mine almost all feel that way. Visconti doesn't make gold nibs anymore but if you come across an older model with a gold nib, grab it. Very comfortable and smooth to write with. I have several - they have just enough feedback to let you know they are gold. Good luck with your quest, we are all here to help. [emoji1]

Bogon07
March 31st, 2016, 05:40 PM
While the Opera in question does have a chromed polished section it is not as slippery to hold as that of the Lamy Studio due to the shape. Also note the metal end finial on the barrel can make the pen feel a little back heavy especially when posted. The regular WallStreet does not have a metal finial and is very similar to the Opera although it has a screw cap not the bayonet type fitting of some of the Elements.

Some of the LE Operas do not have metal sections or finials like this Opera Elements GoldPoint. However many are the bigger Opera Master size pens. They will often have 18K or 14K gold nibs.
https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/visconti-fountain-pen-opera-elements-gold-point-limited-edition

In my experience the Visconti Palladium nibs are slightly wetter than their gold ones and have a different springy feel.
The latter Palladium nibs also seem to have a 'run in' time of one or two refills - or maybe that is me getting used to them.

Some of the long nose gold nibs also can feel rather springy in a more precise way than the Palladium does.