PDA

View Full Version : shelf life of ink with essential oil?

KKay
March 21st, 2016, 09:32 AM
I have seen a few threads over the past few months about people having their ink go bad on them. Phenol was used by some ink companies in the past. (some still may use it) I am wondering...what about using something like a drop or two of Oregano essential oil in your ink bottle? Shake it once you add it, and shake before each fill. Oregano is considered a hot oil, so I don't know if it would be safe. There are other essential oils with antifungal properties though. I wonder if ink makers have tried essential oils. Does anyone know? Essential oil will usually last for years. I would not try a citrus type or photosensitive type essential oil, regardless of the antifungal properties it may have. For one thing they only are good for around six months. Some essential oils though, would last a very long time. After five years, add another drop of essential oil. Thoughts? I think it should be tested. It may require more than a drop or two...maybe 3-4. I doubt if it would take more than that though, depending on the size of the bottle of ink.

rdcalhoon
March 21st, 2016, 06:56 PM
An interesting question.

I distill essential oils. Most separate out from water pretty quickly. You might get some effect by shaking ink and oil together, letting it settle, and the pipetting off the oil. Some tiny fraction will stay in the water phase.

I usually solubilize essential oils in water by adding alcohol to a fairly high percent - not something you want in your pens. Maybe if the ink has a surfactant or if you add a touch you might get some to stay in solution. I would strenuously avoid any droplets of oil in my ink.

But you would most likely create other problems. At the minimum I would expect the ink to flow differently and probably interact with the paper differently. The oil might end up binding to the feed and shutting down flow.

Play with a sacrificial pen and let us know.

KKay
March 21st, 2016, 07:51 PM
It was just a thought rdcalhoon. Probably a bad idea. But if there was a way to make it work, it would be awesome. The essential oil could not be used with alcohol, as that would not be good. Natisol may be an option. I dunno. But it is worth checking out, I think. If you could find something water soluble, that would be fantastic. Surely there is a way. We need a chemist.

rdcalhoon
March 21st, 2016, 08:50 PM
I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea, just more complicated than perhaps at first glance.

I have toyed with the idea of making scented inks with the hydrosol - the other product of distillation - but never took that anywhere.

I have not studied up on anti-fungal properties of the hydrosols. Certainly some will grow fungus eventually. I do have some 10 year old samples that still don't have growth, but I am pretty careful not to introduce anything to the bottles.