PDA

View Full Version : Paper To Write Sheet Music On

Music and Ink
March 24th, 2016, 02:26 AM
Does anyone know a decent quality paper that's designed to write music on? I doubt it because everyone uses computers to record their sheet music, but is there a paper for it? Or am I doomed to taking a ruler and pencil to a blank piece of paper? Thanks for the help.

stub
March 24th, 2016, 02:55 AM
In the old days, you'd be okay with Passantino Manuscript. Archive too, but that's not as good, but if you are sketching with pencil or using Carbon inks or iron gall you could start on that and move to the good paper to produce the final copy.

Sadly I don't know what is available now. I have a stash that I use and here there is a local brand that is surprisingly very good for regular dye ink.

In the US, I would often make my own paper on the computer in Finale, and buy good paper and print it. There are, I know pdfs all over net of paper made in Finale or Adobe Illustrator and that would just be a matter of finding good copy paper and printing what you wish, 10 stave, 12, 16, etc.

There are some places that have NOS Passantino paper and other brands but that might be expensive.

Wile E Coyote
March 24th, 2016, 03:55 AM
Could you take something like unlined Rhodia and print whatever you need with a laser printer?

rafapa
March 24th, 2016, 10:03 AM
You could look for Clairefontaine Music notebooks

stub
March 24th, 2016, 11:04 AM
oh and also:

http://www.jennibick.com/products/leuchtturm-1917-slim-master-notebook-sheet-music

Armstrong
March 24th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I suspect HP INK jet paper would do a good job by hand or printer. I have used it quite a bit. The main drawbacks are it is a little slow on absorption and the coating does seem to drag on the nib. Other than that it is well behaved and frugal. You could use a printer to put your lines on the page which I think would give a better result than trying to draw them yourself.

Music and Ink
March 24th, 2016, 07:22 PM
oh and also:

http://www.jennibick.com/products/leuchtturm-1917-slim-master-notebook-sheet-music

That's amazing. I have a Leuchturm and love it. You couldn't have given me a better suggestion!

CanardRoublard
March 25th, 2016, 02:17 PM
For those looking to print their own, I use this generator (http://www.incompetech.com/graphpaper/musicstaff/) all the time and it's great. Lots of options and really easy to use.

Armstrong
March 25th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry, don't know what I was thinking. When I said Ink Jet I meant Laser Jet. Laser jet paper by HP works very well with fountain pens. Ink jet paper is far too absorbent and will feather. LASER jet paper on the other hand is made to behave well with laser ink which has similarities to fountain pen ink. Sorry for the confusion.

Sid the Cat
April 5th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Music paper is a different size than most office papers...my dad always had some around the house. You can even find five-point dip nibs for creating your own...assuming you can solve the problem of finding the right size paper.

Paddler
April 9th, 2018, 06:47 AM
I have a musician friend who also does calligraphy. He makes his own staff paper with Southworth parchment paper and a 5-point dip nib. His sheet music books are a real sight for four eyes.

Marsilius
January 15th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Yes, you can print out sheet music from the internet. Clairefontaine is good for FPs. So is Apica music paper notebook. And, I have a five-point nib (also called a rastrum I think, old school!).