PDA

View Full Version : Sailor 1911l nib question

nickelo.russell
March 24th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Hi, I just ordered a sailor 1911L with a medium nib and I'm starting to rethink that. My Parker sonnet with a fine nib makes pretty wide lines for my taste, but I assumed that since sailor is a Japanese brand their medium nib would be similar. But comparing tipping sizes today, I realized that the Parker F is .30mm whereas the Sailor M is .50mm. I tried an old pilot I had laying around with a medium and it actually writes smaller than the Parker, but the tip is .55mm. So this leads me to believe that the Sailor could be alright if it isn't excessively wet. My question, in full, will the Sailor with the medium nib be alright given that I'm used to a fine Parker? And furthermore, what are people's general thoughts on the Sailor 1911L? Thanks for anything you guys have :)

Wile E Coyote
March 24th, 2016, 11:16 AM
First of all the tipping sizes (F, M, B etc.) are a range. You might have an exceptionally wide M on your Parker but it fell within what that manufacturer calls a M. Same goes for your Pilot. Depending on where you purchased the pen, the seller may exchange the pen or nib if you're not satisfied. Another option would be to send the pen to someone who grinds and tunes nibs. That might be the best solution, as it will come back as good or better than when you purchased it.

My general thought on the 1911L...excellent chioce.

Scooby921
March 24th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I have a 1911 ProGear with a broad nib. The line, at least under my hand pressure, is similar in width to what I get out of a Pelikan fine nib. The Pelikan is a bit soft and the Sailor is firm, so that likely contributes. I expect your medium Sailor will be sufficiently narrow and comparable to the fine line you're used to making. As for my thoughts on Sailor, I think it's a fantastic pen and nib. Probably one of the smoothest writers right out of the box. Every time I use it I smile and keep wondering why I ever ponder selling it.

Jolltax
April 2nd, 2016, 03:02 AM
This is a really interesting thread, here's my take on it, heh. Apologies as I am slightly "Off-message" as I would say my Sailor M nib is proper Medium and actually thicker than quite a few of my other pens.

Ignore my crappy writing as I did it in a rush </excuse> anyway I agree with the people above who like their Sailor nibs - mine is my favourite of all my nibs its got just the right amount of feedback as for me there IS such a thing as too smooth

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/Jolltax/Pen%20Stuff/PenNinMashUp_zpslnua34zi.jpg

Whahoooooooooo

Jolltax

Quantum Sailor
April 2nd, 2016, 12:48 PM
I have a Sailor 1911L and I like it quite a bit. I tend to use fines but I'm pretty comfortable with going up to a broad in Sailor and Pilot pens. Platinum pens do seem to be a little thicker but it could just be the ones we have. Regardless I wouldn't make a judgement until you actually get the pen. One note I have is that in my experience the ink makes an enormous amount of difference.

As for overall impression of the pen I love my Sailor fountain pens. They are quality built pens and write amazingly well and I just enjoy using them.

kfpeters
April 19th, 2016, 12:29 PM
I just got a Sailor 1911L with a medium nib last week and I absolutely love it.

I have a Pilot 74 with a medium nib from Nibs.com and it writes thicker than I expected from a Japanese medium nib and Pilot Prera with a Fine nib that I bought from Japan off E-bay that writes with what I would consider a needle point. So I wasn't sure what to expect from the Sailor. The Sailor medium writes a little thinner than the Pilot 74 medium and to me it's perfect.

What I take from this is nib sizes are a starting point at best, throw in the variables of ink, paper and writing pressure / style make it even harder to accurately predict an exact size.