PDA

View Full Version : Ranga Pens

Dreck
March 24th, 2016, 07:22 PM
First off, I apologize for my lousy photographic "skills." This pen is gorgeous, sturdy, and well-made. Pictures--especially mine--cannot possibly do it justice. At $40, I really feel like I stole this pen.

I ordered a shiny, black Model 8 (eyedropper) from Ranga Pens through eBay late in January. The delivery terms were 2-4 weeks. When it didn't show up by March 2, I figured it had gotten lost and contacted Mr. Kandan, who filed an inquiry with India Post and asked for some more time. He sent me a link to the inquiry, and as of today nobody in that office has yet responded (how's that for government inefficiency!) On March 10, he said that he would have a replacement made and send it to me. That one shipped out a week ago. The original one I had ordered finally arrived today (8 weeks later!).

I say this to encourage anyone who might buy from him to be patient. Believe me, it will be well worth the wait.

I feel bad for asking him to send a replacement, but I've already let him know that I'll send payment when it arrives (so I don't feel too bad. After all, I'll have TWO of his pens! :D ) Throughout the entire process, he was great at getting back with me and was very professional.

Yes, it arrived sewn in cloth. Impressive. The guys at the Post Office thought it was pretty cool. We don't get a lot of packages from India in Wanamaker...

And was in a beautiful brown and creme box. Very classy!

When I opened the box, both the pen I had ordered and the Fellowship ED he included as a gift were in plastic. Yes, he even included a spare feed and #5 nib!

Here it is, lying next to a Noodler's Konrad for size comparison.

This Konrad has the distinction of being the absolute ugliest pen I've ever laid eyes on, but the absolutely most comfortable pen I've ever written with. I asked Mr. Pandurangan to make my Model 8 the same width and length. I call this close enough!

I swapped out the Wality nib with a #6 F Knox, and she writes like an absolute dream. Now that I'm on Spring Break, I'm looking forward to getting caught up on correspondence with this beautiful pen! :D

In short, I cannot give a high enough recommendation for Ranga Pens. My only regret is that it took me this long to discover them. The skill that goes into making these pens by hand is inconceivable. This isn't just a pen. This is a craftsman's love and skill being poured into a piece of functional art.

Lady Onogaro
March 25th, 2016, 12:09 AM
Thank you for the very nice review, Dreck. Am I right that this is an eyedropper fill? Or is it a c/c?

rpsyed
March 25th, 2016, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the write up! Recently, at our Central California Pen Posse, I got to play with one of the Ranga Zayante and it was just gorgeous and wonderfully made.

Have you seen this, BTW? The artisan behind Ranga is insanely skilled. Hakase cuts threads freehand as well but Hakase has their lathe move the pen laterally and spin while making threads. Ranga's lathe just spins the pen, meaning he has to move the thread chaser forward at just the right speed to make it work. It's really cool to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pUuLREZR4

Empty_of_Clouds
March 25th, 2016, 04:42 AM
The one I have, which is alleged to be premium ebonite, has inclusions in the material, the finish feels lacking in polish, the section has a rough texture to it, and the cap and barrel do not match colour-wise (I strongly suspect that they were not cut from the same rod). It also at times requires Herculean strength to undo the threads on both the cap and the section, which may good with regard to leaks, but not so much fun when it comes to ease of use.

Mine is a serviceable holder for a Jowo nib, and that's really about all I can say.

So, are the glowing reviews accurate, and I am simply the unlucky customer that got second best? It's frustrating. Mine will inevitably end up being sold on. Or perhaps I may give it away if I feel a surge of generosity arising.

Dreck
March 25th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Thank you for the very nice review, Dreck. Am I right that this is an eyedropper fill? Or is it a c/c?

Yes, it's an eyedropper. One of the FP Geeks who sent some sizeable donations to my class included an Airmail eyedropper, and I was intrigued. After a couple weeks of writing with it, I was sold on eyedroppers! I do not l like or trust c/c pens. Too many areas to troubleshoot and not enough ink capacity.

Dreck
March 25th, 2016, 04:53 AM
The one I have, which is alleged to be premium ebonite, has inclusions in the material, the finish feels lacking in polish, the section has a rough texture to it, and the cap and barrel do not match colour-wise (I strongly suspect that they were not cut from the same rod). It also at times requires Herculean strength to undo the threads on both the cap and the section, which may good with regard to leaks, but not so much fun when it comes to ease of use.

Mine is a serviceable holder for a Jowo nib, and that's really about all I can say.

So, are the glowing reviews accurate, and I am simply the unlucky customer that got second best? It's frustrating. Mine will inevitably end up being sold on. Or perhaps I may give it away if I feel a surge of generosity arising.

Wow. That's too bad. This is my first Ranga, so I cannot speak for previous quality, but he's been at this for as long as I've been alive, so I'd hope he knows what he's doing.
Two finishes are available: bakul (rough) and mirror. Mine is the smooth, polished mirror finish. The fit of the cap is a bit tight, but nothing near Herculean, or even difficult. The section screws smoothly to a perfect fit into the body.
My guess is that you got a rare lemon. I'm sure Mr. Kandan would have been more than happy to have worked with you to provide a pen you were pleased with. He's very determined to provide top-notch customer satisfaction

Empty_of_Clouds
March 25th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Perhaps. We had a miscommunication over shipping expenses. In the end I decided to write the whole thing off, both in terms of shipping as well as the not so stellar quality of my pen. I also got a lot of flack from other members for raising any of these issues - in part this stemmed from the aforementioned miscommunication, which was not handled well by either side quite frankly.

My pen came with the wrong cap. I had to mail the whole thing all the way back to get this rectified. And I am pretty certain that the new cap was turned from a different rod - hence the colour mismatch. By the time it got back to me I was too frustrated to continue shuttling the damned thing back and forth. It was expensive too.

The outcome was that I am considered a bad-mouther of Ranga pens for having the effrontery to complain, and I subsequently cancelled an inquiry I had made to Asa Pens as well as another I was in the process of putting together with a third manufacturer.

The thing for me was that being a very long way from anywhere civilised, and being somewhat strapped for cash, these Indian pens represented a way to get some decent ebonite at an affordable price. Now that they are picking up Trade Agreements with Western distributors their prices have doubled. Basically this has taken them out of reach at this risk point for me.

Still, if you've got a good one then congratulations!

Dreck
March 25th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Perhaps. We had a miscommunication over shipping expenses. In the end I decided to write the whole thing off, both in terms of shipping as well as the not so stellar quality of my pen. I also got a lot of flack from other members for raising any of these issues - in part this stemmed from the aforementioned miscommunication, which was not handled well by either side quite frankly.

My pen came with the wrong cap. I had to mail the whole thing all the way back to get this rectified. And I am pretty certain that the new cap was turned from a different rod - hence the colour mismatch. By the time it got back to me I was too frustrated to continue shuttling the damned thing back and forth. It was expensive too.

The outcome was that I am considered a bad-mouther of Ranga pens for having the effrontery to complain, and I subsequently cancelled an inquiry I had made to Asa Pens as well as another I was in the process of putting together with a third manufacturer.

The thing for me was that being a very long way from anywhere civilised, and being somewhat strapped for cash, these Indian pens represented a way to get some decent ebonite at an affordable price. Now that they are picking up Trade Agreements with Western distributors their prices have doubled. Basically this has taken them out of reach at this risk point for me.

Still, if you've got a good one then congratulations!

Hmmm... Yes, clear communication is essential; especially with someone whose primary tongue might not be English. Still, I would think that some imperfections on a hand-turned pen are to be expected and cherished. Perfection or lack of flaws is an illusion that depends upon the beholder's perspective. When I examine mine through a loupe, I can see it is covered in tiny scratches that are probably the result of hand-polishing. If there had been small chips, pits, or inclusions in my pen, they would have served as constant reminders that the world is both beautiful as well as imperfect. When I unscrewed the section to fill, and when I take off the cap, I am suddenly aware that someone did this for me by hand. That's humbling.

Dreck
March 25th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the write up! Recently, at our Central California Pen Posse, I got to play with one of the Ranga Zayante and it was just gorgeous and wonderfully made.

Have you seen this, BTW? The artisan behind Ranga is insanely skilled. Hakase cuts threads freehand as well but Hakase has their lathe move the pen laterally and spin while making threads. Ranga's lathe just spins the pen, meaning he has to move the thread chaser forward at just the right speed to make it work. It's really cool to see.

I did see that video. It's what prompted me to take the plunge and buy a Ranga. It's truly amazing to see a master craftsman at work. Think of the years of dedication that it took for Mr. Pandurangan to arrive at this level of ability. The care, attention to detail, sensitivity to movement and material, and time involved speak volumes.

fountainpagan
March 25th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Ranga is a great pen maker.
In india, they are the ones, apart from Deccan, with impeccable threading.

If you buy a pen using one color ebonite, you will get a good product.
If you buy the coloured ebonites, and despite the fact they warn you that the result can be dramatically different from the one in the photo, you can end up with this:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/jvLFCj.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnjvLFCjj)

It is made from the same rod, but the cap was made on the continuing rod of the other end of the pen, not from the section's end.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/924/GzVy6H.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poGzVy6Hj)

I didn't even bother to coment, because I know it can be very tiresome.
I love the body's colour, and got "used" to the frankenpen cap.
Other than that, it is a great pen.

Deb
March 25th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the review. I've become interested in Indian pens and have bought a few. They've all been good. I don't think your pen is ugly, by the way

fountainpagan
March 25th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Thank you, Deb.

I don't think it is an ugly pen, either. But for harmony's sake, I would have prefered the cap to be closer to the body's colours.

gbryal
March 25th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I love the "bakul" matte finish on my big green ebonite Model 3, it's very pleasant to touch, like freshly sanded wood, very light for its size. The included Wality nibs need work, and I have a Lucky Curve nib in mine right now.

My other Ranga is a ruby flake acrylic with a steel inlaid nib Sheaffer section fused to it, from Peyton Street Pens. Buying from PSP helps with the shipping times and gives you some interesting nib options, and another layer of quality control.

I love the sewed packaging, I remember being amused by it when I first got one.

gbryal
March 25th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Ranga is a great pen maker.
In india, they are the ones, apart from Deccan, with impeccable threading.

The threading on my 3C is very well done, especially considering how it's done. On my pen with the Targa nib, there are a lot of threads, and it's a bit silly how many turns it takes to remove the cap, though this may just be because of how long the fused section is.

ambimom
March 25th, 2016, 09:55 AM
The Ranga Ebonite pen I purchased is a work of art!

amk
March 25th, 2016, 12:03 PM
I have purchased a number of Ranga pens both new and second hand. Some are just a tad too big for me, really, but they are fine pens and nicely made, at reasonable prices. And I've always found it a pleasure to deal with Mr Kandan.

Lady Onogaro
March 25th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I have a two Ranga pens, both of which I bought from Peyton Street pens. I really like them both, but I have a particular fondness for the first one I bought, a Capitola model. It's a big pen for me, but it is just lovely. I'm sorry to hear others have had problems with theirs.

I like the one Fountainpagan has, too. It's cool-looking.

Dreck
March 30th, 2016, 11:03 AM
UPDATE:

The second, "replacement" pen sent when we thought the first had been lost in transit arrived yesterday (10 days--a better delivery timeline). I would attach a picture, but it is virtually identical to the first one, except the cap screws down a quarter-inch further. That makes it even more perfect, as it fits better in my shirt pocket! I am tickled to pieces to now have two of these phenomenal, handcrafted eyedropper pens, and have been showing it off to anyone who cares (and probably some who don't).

Lady Onogaro
March 30th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Dreck,

I have always been wary of eyedroppers because I hear they "burp" ink onto the page. Do you have this problem with your eyedroppers?

Dreck
March 30th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Dreck,

I have always been wary of eyedroppers because I hear they "burp" ink onto the page. Do you have this problem with your eyedroppers?

I was wary of them, too, for that same reason. The Airmail that I used for a while got a little bit problematic once or twice when the ink level got down to about 10%, but there were several times I wrote it dry without any issues. The first Ranga wrote down to dry without any problems, and I'm anxious to see if this second one performs just as flawlessly.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 30th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I must admit that I have yet to brave the eyedropper route with my one and only Ranga pen. Not sure why exactly, but I suspect that because there is a converter option I tend to default to that. With my Mabie Todd eyedroppers there were no such options and I had no qualms about using them. Curious really.

rpsyed
March 31st, 2016, 01:03 AM
Dreck,

I have several eyedropper pens and the only eyedropper that's ever burped on me is a Platinum Preppy converted to an eyedropper. I've found if a nib has a good feed, with lots of fins like the modern Bock and JoWo feeds, you can run an eyedropper completely dry without any burps. I actually a big fan of eyedroppers: huge ink capacity, no need to wipe off the nib/section after filling, and by using a syringe you can get every drop of ink out of a bottle, regardless of how shallow the ink level happens to be.

Dreck
March 31st, 2016, 06:13 AM
...snip...
I actually a big fan of eyedroppers: huge ink capacity, no need to wipe off the nib/section after filling, and by using a syringe you can get every drop of ink out of a bottle, regardless of how shallow the ink level happens to be.

My thinking exactly! For someone as eminently boring as I am, who seldom change inks or ink colors, or for someone who does a lot of writing at one sitting, eyedroppers make a lot of sense.

SteveE
March 31st, 2016, 01:21 PM
I think I now have 6 or 8 of the Ranga pens, all from Peyton Street Pens. I love them all, although they are a diverse lot. I have 3 (I think) Ranga 3's with JoWo nibs, a Ranga 4, a Zayante and a PSP Soquel with an Eversharp nib. They are all exactly what I expected. They all write as well or better than any of my more expensive pens. One or two of them have voids or inclusions in their ebonite, but as another poster noted, I view these as "character marks" reminding me each time I use the pens that these are hand made half a world away from here.

I thank Mr. Kandan and Terri (at Peyton Street) for making these neat pens available at reasonable prices.

gbryal
March 31st, 2016, 09:36 PM
I was inspired by this thread to get a third Ranga, from Peyton Street Pens. I got a matte Model 8 with no nib, and fitted a spare converter and a black MeisterNibs.com nib unit, and it's really just what I've been looking for. Stealthy (well, except for the clip), light, writes well, and a good size for my shirt pocket. Awesome.

Dreck
April 1st, 2016, 05:42 AM
You do know that you can order straight from MS Pandurangan through his eBay store, right? That's what I did. It ensures getting exactly what you want.

fountainpagan
April 1st, 2016, 08:59 AM
It ensures getting exactly what you want.

I wouldn't be that categoric, sorry.

Dreck
April 1st, 2016, 09:35 AM
It ensures getting exactly what you want.

I wouldn't be that categoric, sorry.

It wasn't all that categorical. There are wants, and there are wants. Mine are simple. I like the diameter and style of the model 8, but just wanted one a bit shorter than he typically makes them. It's much easier when you do business straight with the craftsman.

fountainpagan
April 1st, 2016, 09:49 AM
I see.

For a little , and specific, detail like that, yes I do agree 100% with your statement.

But in a wider sense, and even when there is a photo showing exactly what you want, I could not agree.

Edite - to add last sentence, and "specific" to the first sentence

bluesea
April 1st, 2016, 11:44 AM
I ordered a 2C from eBay a while ago, which should arrive in 1-3 weeks.

bluesea
April 11th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Ranga in the house--quick shipping!

I plan to delay opening because I feel the need for adequate time to contemplate the wrapping and what it represents. It could take a while as it sits on my desk open to an intermittent gaze, and who knows maybe a daydream or two. :D

SteveE
April 12th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Ranga in the house--quick shipping!

I plan to delay opening because I feel the need for adequate time to contemplate the wrapping and what it represents. It could take a while as it sits on my desk open to an intermittent gaze, and who knows maybe a daydream or two. :D

Ahhh. . . go ahead. Your new pen is calling you. ;-))

bluesea
April 12th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Done!

scrivelry
April 12th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Done!

Pictures?

bluesea
April 15th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Finally got around to the glamour shot. Dipped, not inked. Its a compact-like student pen *almost* too short for me unposted (my preference), but it fits. My index finger is uncommonly (it seems) usually centered in the threads.

Dipped a few times, and the sweet spot is a *bit* narrower than most production pens. No worries though, this 2C has a nice writing nib. Its a fine pen, especially for its <$20 price.

This was purchased on eBay, directly I'm assuming from Mr Pandurangan.

clicky
http://i.imgur.com/kt3xj6hl.jpg (http://imgur.com/kt3xj6h)

Dreck
February 16th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Having just participated in the Ranga model 3 group buy, and not able to leave well enough alone (or have the patience to wait for the upcoming model 8 group buy), I asked Mr. Pandurangan to make a model 8 with the ends rounded like a model 3 (or as Mr. Kandan put it, a skinny model 3 with a section and clip like a model 8 o_0 ).

Here is the sexy beast.

I've been quite pleased and impressed with the Ambitious nibs, so I paid a little extra to have one installed.

As usual, the craftsmanship is impressive, and the fit and finish are amazing. This is, hands down, my favorite and most comfortable pen. I've written it down to dry with nary a burp or blot. Thank you, Ranga Handmade Pens for another exquisite piece of functional art!

KrazyIvan
February 16th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Having just participated in the Ranga model 3 group buy, and not able to leave well enough alone (or have the patience to wait for the upcoming model 8 group buy), I asked Mr. Pandurangan to make a model 8 with the ends rounded like a model 3 (or as Mr. Kandan put it, a skinny model 3 with a section and clip like a model 8 o_0 ).

Here is the sexy beast.

I've been quite pleased and impressed with the Ambitious nibs, so I paid a little extra to have one installed.

As usual, the craftsmanship is impressive, and the fit and finish are amazing. This is, hands down, my favorite and most comfortable pen. I've written it down to dry with nary a burp or blot. Thank you, Ranga Handmade Pens for another exquisite piece of functional art!

I really like how that turned out!