PDA

View Full Version : Ink in the UK

PurpleFP08
March 27th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Hi I'll just say im new on the pen and Calligraphy scene please keep this in mind with my question
im struggling to find places to find calligraphy ink esp in the UK being new I don't know all the great sites yet many are American based.
I normally use Cultpens, Tigerpens, The Writing Desk and Pen and Paper.
Are there any other sites I could use to buy ink/ pens and nibs cheaper I'm currently using all 4 to get compare the best price for what I need
I know you pay for quality but at the moment I'm currently learning and want to learn experience too, unless go to the top straight away?
Thank you so much
PurpleFP08

Chrissy
March 27th, 2016, 11:31 AM
The Journal Shop, Bureau Direct, Amazon and ebay. No affiliation to any.

If you're looking for inks from Japanese sellers they can sometimes be found on Amazon.com for lower prices than they are on Amazon.co.uk.

For Diamine inks, you can buy them directly from Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk)

Chi Town
March 27th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Even though I'm in the USA, I have been buying my inks, speciffically Diamine's Shimmering series, from Cult pens in the UK. This is due to their incredible pricing! I can buy these inks over there and get them shipped to the USA cheaper than if I buy the same inks in the USA and have them shipped to my house....Strange huh?

brunico
March 27th, 2016, 01:29 PM
j-subculture.com. The search function takes a bit of getting used to, but I buy a lot of Japanese stationery from there at way below UK prices. Postage is reasonable, and you're less likely to get stung by Customs buying from Japan than you are from the US. For some reason, US shops always seem to charge huge amounts for postage, e.g., Goulet Pens charges $22.50 minimum to ship a single bottle of ink, rising to $62.50 for express mail.

For calligraphy supplies, try shops like scribblers.co.uk, dippennibs.co.uk and blotspens.co.uk.

I know you pay for quality but at the moment I'm currently learning and want to learn experience too, unless go to the top straight away?

No, fountain pens aren't that hard to get right, so mostly you're paying for fit and finish. I once had a calligraphy set from Poundland. The grip looked cheap and felt a bit rough and nasty, but everything worked exactly as it should. A Mitchell or Brause italic pen (nib) for less than £1 will give sharper results than any fountain pen and is superior to most people's ability to make use of it. :)

Chrissy
March 28th, 2016, 01:41 AM
Personally, I just don't risk buying stuff from anywhere outside Europe because I know I would be so mortified to end up paying much more than I could have done because of Customs import fees. The £15 ceiling has to cover bottles of inks that I buy. If there is anything more expensive that I need, I wait until I can have it mailed to the US.

I'm not sure I would know who to trust on Rakuten, and have never managed to search successfully for something specific on j.subculture.com. However, I do buy from their shop on Amazon. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
March 28th, 2016, 01:51 AM
I've used Rakuten a couple of times now without any issues. I didn't even bother to research the individual shops either - though I wasn't spending much anyway. Recently bought 2 x 100 sheet packs of A4 Tomoe River paper for US $32 including shipping. That was the best deal I have found anywhere, including Nanami (who are based in the US not Japan and charge US postal charges not Japanese ones).

Chrissy
March 28th, 2016, 02:46 AM
I've used Rakuten a couple of times now without any issues. I didn't even bother to research the individual shops either - though I wasn't spending much anyway. Recently bought 2 x 100 sheet packs of A4 Tomoe River paper for US $32 including shipping. That was the best deal I have found anywhere, including Nanami (who are based in the US not Japan and charge US postal charges not Japanese ones).

Yes but on the other hand, you're in New Zealand, so you don't have a merchandise import limit of GB£15 before Customs add on taxes and additional delivery charges. It makes quite a difference.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 28th, 2016, 03:17 AM
That's true, but I was speaking more to the concerns about using Rakuten as a safe marketplace. Thus far I have found it to be so. Incidentally, is the shipping fee part of the import limit?

Chrissy
March 28th, 2016, 03:23 AM
That's true, but I was speaking more to the concerns about using Rakuten as a safe marketplace. Thus far I have found it to be so. Incidentally, is the shipping fee part of the import limit?

Thanks for that EOC. Maybe I am wrong to have concerns about some Rakuten sellers. :)

Yes UK Customs include shipping costs onto the item value when calculating Import Tax. :(

migo984
March 28th, 2016, 03:44 AM

Have bought successfully many times from various Global Rakuten shops,and not just inks. They communicate clearly in English (most times) and always deduct their own domestic consumer tax.
Always impeccable service, unmatchable prices on most inks, especially Sailor Jentle & Iroshizuku. 8 bottles of current standard 4 Seasons inks, for £54 total, including shipping to the UK. And didn't get stopped at customs. Luck of the draw I know but even with VAT & admin added, still cheaper than anything in the UK.

Chrissy
March 28th, 2016, 05:14 AM
£54 x 1.20 = £64.80 plus £10 or 12 extra shipping = £74.80 or £76.80.

So far I have bought 4 bottles of current standard Sailor four seasons inks separately, and they were all less than £10 each. A couple were only just £9 each.

migo984
March 28th, 2016, 07:41 AM
£54 x 1.20 = £64.80 plus £10 or 12 extra shipping = £74.80 or £76.80.

So far I have bought 4 bottles of current standard Sailor four seasons inks separately, and they were all less than £10 each. A couple were only just £9 each.

That's a good price. As you know, Sailor inks 'usually' cost more than £9 in the UK shops mentioned above eg Cultpens, TWD.
I'd be interested in where you got them?
It does not change the fact that Global Rakuten shops are extremely reliable & no-one should fear buying from them.

PurpleFP08
March 28th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Thank you all so much I'll will be looking at those sites mentioned I can't wait
I find sailor very expensive so is iroshizuku

Pelikan-Vera
March 28th, 2016, 04:01 PM
I have been buying Iroshizuko from Amazon without any difficulties and never had issues with import duty, but I buy 1 bottle at a time. the other place to consider is purepens here in Wales, which sells Noodlers ink and also Sailor. wishing you fun in your new hobby. Vera

PurpleFP08
March 29th, 2016, 01:50 AM
I have been buying Iroshizuko from Amazon without any difficulties and never had issues with import duty, but I buy 1 bottle at a time. the other place to consider is purepens here in Wales, which sells Noodlers ink and also Sailor. wishing you fun in your new hobby. Vera
Thank you so much yes I've just recently just bought a bottle of iroshizuku I can't wait for it to come I paid £18 from eBay but I know you can get most colours from amazon for £12+ but they didn't have the Ms one and badu, budu? One so I paid slightly more on ebay it's better than £28 to £32 but agree a bottle a time is best way

Jolltax
April 1st, 2016, 11:05 PM
I am a bit of a self-confessed diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/)fanboy, I do have other inks and I also recently bought 4 bottles of iroshizuku on Amazon which were sent direct from Japan @ £12 - they are gorgeous

If you want to expand your collection of inks (does that sound weird?) then personally I would recommend Diamine for a few reasons :

They are in the UK and I have always foud them to be very reliable
They are not expensive @ £6.79 a bottle
Their bottles have 80ml of ink in them which is at least 50% more than most other vendors (typically 50ml)
I love that they will send you samples as well, it means I can try the more outlandish colours without buying a whole bottle

Note : I bought all my Japanese pens on Rakuten and have had great service - I did pay duty on the more expensive ones but still ended savng a lot of money compared the UK prices which are silly tbh. I used the Pen-room (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/penroom/). I notice that some Japanese sellers are now on Amazon UK and with similar prices to Rakuten so worth checking out.

Cheers big ears!

Jolltax

PurpleFP08
April 4th, 2016, 04:51 PM
I am a bit of a self-confessed diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/)fanboy, I do have other inks and I also recently bought 4 bottles of iroshizuku on Amazon which were sent direct from Japan @ £12 - they are gorgeous

If you want to expand your collection of inks (does that sound weird?) then personally I would recommend Diamine for a few reasons :

Their bottles have 80ml of ink in them which is at least 50% more than most other vendors (typically 50ml)
I love that they will send you samples as well, it means I can try the more outlandish colours without buying a whole bottle

Note : I bought all my Japanese pens on Rakuten and have had great service - I did pay duty on the more expensive ones but still ended savng a lot of money compared the UK prices which are silly tbh. I used the Pen-room (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/penroom/). I notice that some Japanese sellers are now on Amazon UK and with similar prices to Rakuten so worth checking out.

Cheers big ears!

Jolltax
Thank you so much yes I too have started to use and like Diamine inks purely because there made in the UK and like you said the are 80ml so will probably have a look through there inks I could've sworn I bought my ink for £5 something but yes between our prices are about right I think.
Shipping to the UK is silly really but never mind.
I just bought some of there shimmering ink I'm at a loss at how to use it there's no direction on if to shake at every use and even in the pen do I shake it or empty after use I think I will save it for when I start dip as I'm worried about ruining my pens if I put that ink in it I got Night Sky

Chrissy
April 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Cheers big ears!

Jolltax

I am also a very big fan of Diamine inks, and I have more Diamine inks than any other brand, but I don't always want to buy an 80ml bottle of ink. I know the ink is very good value for money, compared with other brands, and there are some colours that I always buy as 80ml bottles. The bottles are very attractive, and fantastically stable for a klutz like I can sometimes be. However, I'm less keen on the 30ml plastic refill bottles. I just wish I could fit my pens in there to refill them. :)

evyxmsj
April 12th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I love those 30ml bottles! I am still jumping head first into the inky world, so I'm after variety of experience more than anything else...

Now if I could find a good source of some of the Noodlers and PR inks I'm after... I know Pure Pens and TWD have some, but not the ones I'd like unfortunately :-(

penwash
April 12th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I love those 30ml bottles! I am still jumping head first into the inky world, so I'm after variety of experience more than anything else...

Now if I could find a good source of some of the Noodlers and PR inks I'm after... I know Pure Pens and TWD have some, but not the ones I'd like unfortunately :-(

I know a lot of people rave about Noodler's inks.
I personally find them prone to staining, and their colors are nothing special.

Another ink brand that I highly recommend is Callifolio from France. I know of only one place who carry them in the US, I have no idea who their distributors are in UK.

Chrissy
April 13th, 2016, 01:10 AM
I have never tried any of the Callifolio inks from France. I must have a look around to see what they are like.

migo984
April 13th, 2016, 01:31 AM

Another ink brand that I highly recommend is Callifolio from France. I know of only one place who carry them in the US, I have no idea who their distributors are in UK.

I agree about Noodler's. I have some but they have sometimes proved very unpredictable & even unstable. Most colours are just so so, although a handful are very lovely.

I have quite a few Callifolio inks. I bought most of them direct from L'Artisan Pastellier in France. I love their blues & ambers & Olivestre is gorgeous. I know of several distributors in Europe but no official ones in the UK (although a friendly ink distributor has procured them for me in the past).

evyxmsj
April 13th, 2016, 08:53 AM

I agree about Noodler's. I have some but they have sometimes proved very unpredictable & even unstable. Most colours are just so so, although a handful are very lovely.

I have quite a few Callifolio inks. I bought most of them direct from L'Artisan Pastellier in France. I love their blues & ambers & Olivestre is gorgeous. I know of several distributors in Europe but no official ones in the UK (although a friendly ink distributor has procured them for me in the past).

I know what you mean, but I just find the inks and the concept fascinating enough to try. I personally have been pleased with Apache Sunset---on the right paper of course. I'd like to give 54th Mass. and one of the black versions a go as well.

migo984
April 13th, 2016, 03:16 PM

I know what you mean, but I just find the inks and the concept fascinating enough to try. I personally have been pleased with Apache Sunset---on the right paper of course. I'd like to give 54th Mass. and one of the black versions a go as well.

I thought I'd posted this earlier but it seems to have disappeared. So trying again.

Here are my 54th Mass. pics. One from the day I bought the bottle, about a year ago. The second a recent example of how the ink has deteriorated. It has been stored correctly.

evyxmsj
April 14th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Did you shake it? I mean really shake it? I have El Lawrence, and the colour changes very dramatically if I don't

Edit: found a pic of the difference:

http://i64.tinypic.com/qpoya0.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if your colour change resulted from something coming out of solution over that length of time: especially given the highly saturated nature of Noodlers. This possibility doesn't concern me too much given the length of time a single fill is actually in my pen. And I tend to put it in pens that I can disassemble anyway.

migo984
April 14th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Yes. Ink vigorously shaken. Makes no difference. I've used the ink during the time I've had it: it was OK until last fill.
54th Mass has also been reported by others as "turning into a jelly-like substance" after a few months of use.

evyxmsj
April 14th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Hmm, interesting. Well it's good to know, thanks!