PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas?

fountainpenkid
December 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
So today I get an email from Brian at Edison pens; one of his subscriber updates. I know he had been talking about some new pen with a new filling system, but he surprised me when he wrote this: "This will be a brand new filling system. The filling system is very unique. No other pen company in the world is currently using a filling system like this. And actually, no major pen company has used anything like this since the 1960's, if my pen history is correct."
So, anyone have any ideas? I can't help but try to guess it. The only thing I can think of would be Parker's capillary filling system; used on the Parker 61. I kind of hope that it isn't that because they are very hard to clean and flush...and really a nuisance overall. Anyone have any other ideas? Accordion filler? (i doubt ;))

Have a Merry Christmas, everyone!

JustDaveyB
December 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
snorkel?

gwgtaylor
December 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm thinking a snorkel filler would be patent held by sheaffer still. Perhaps a coin or matchstick filler? Coin filler would be cool. Don't think they were made in the 60s though so maybe not.

snedwos
December 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
I do worry that it will be a capillary filler. Which would be immensely disappointing. Maybe not a snorkel, but potentially some sort of pneumatic filler like a touchdown is plausible.

fountainpenkid
December 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
snorkel?

Oh MY GOD!!!! I didn't even think that he would try that. But you may be right. I always had a slight (and I mean slight) lack of appreciation for his pens because they were all c/c or bulb filling (which is what most custom guys do). But a snorkel filler puts him in a whole new category--that takes some hard engineering.

Thanks for the idea! Merry Christmas!

manoeuver
December 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
No degrees of uniqueness.....

fountainpenkid
December 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM
No degrees of uniqueness.....

hmm?

manoeuver
December 22nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Word use quibble. Don't mind me.

fountainpenkid
December 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Word use quibble. Don't mind me.

Oh...so you're like my latin teacher? We latin geeks at our school know more English grammar than anyone else because of her.

manoeuver
December 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
I learned a ton about English grammar studying Russian in college. Grammar and vocabulary are different animals though.

snedwos
January 8th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Pneumatic filler! Oh yesss! Annoyingly he's upstaged me. That's what I was going to do when I started my own pen company. Grrr...

fountainpenkid
January 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Pneumatic filler! Oh yesss! Annoyingly he's upstaged me. That's what I was going to do when I started my own pen company. Grrr...

lol! All he has to do now is add the snorkel! (;)) I don' think I'd get one, but they look beautiful nonetheless! (Anybody remember when he was talking about a heavy "piston filler" over the summer? Is that still on the radar?)

snedwos
January 8th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I dunno, I think the snorkel is cool and very clever, but quite honestly, it is rather over-engineered. It is a lot more parts to make (and potentially have go wrong!) for not all that much more functionality. The regular pneumatic is probably my favourite filling system (screw pistons are more inobtrusive, but more annoying to clean out; and I don't think I would trust the rod on a regular vac-piston filler), and I'm *delighted* he's gone for it.

fountainpenkid
January 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I dunno, I think the snorkel is cool and very clever, but quite honestly, it is rather over-engineered. It is a lot more parts to make (and potentially have go wrong!) for not all that much more functionality. The regular pneumatic is probably my favourite filling system (screw pistons are more inobtrusive, but more annoying to clean out; and I don't think I would trust the rod on a regular vac-piston filler), and I'm *delighted* he's gone for it.

So am I! I actually just watched the video he made on it, and I really like the looks and size of it more than I thought I would. The snorkel is just cool...totally over-engineered, but cool!