PDA

View Full Version : SOLD English Waterman Set - 503 soft flex nib box & papers.

stub
April 2nd, 2016, 04:03 AM
A Black English Waterman 503 set with the original box and papers in very good condition

The pen is in black celluloid, Lever filler.

The 503 is also known as the Waterman "Book-Keeper"

Made in England, mid to late 40s

With cap on: 132mm
Without cap: 116mm
Cap: 61mm

14kt gold nib - soft semi flex F/M
marked: WATERMAN'S 14CT W-2A, excellent tipping. typical amazing Waterman nib & feed.

These were often sold with hard nibs, often accountant nibs. As the nickname implies, these were book-keeper pens but the 2A came in a full range of nib types and sized. This one has a Flex nib. Wet noodle? no but not just merely “springy” either. Genuinely good flex. The tines open up with the slightest pressure and the feed more than holds up it’s end of the deal. THIS SUCKER PUTS OUT THE INK.

A new sac has been fitted and the pen fills and writes well. In great shape for a pen it’s age.

Also has the pencil, original box, papers for the pencil and pen. Who ever got this seemingly inked it a few times, threw it back in the box and there it sat for half a century or so. The pen has some of the usual micro scratches, though little or no bracing and the original owner clearly posted the pen as you can see some light abrasion about where the cap would meet the barrel.

This is a really nice little pen.

Photos are sharpened so show more scratch than is generally seen with the naked eye.

$75 + actual shipping.

stub
April 2nd, 2016, 04:04 AM
edge of the clip does look a little brassed there.

Deb
April 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM
Lovely set. Not all 503s are book-keepers. Depends on the nib.

stub
April 2nd, 2016, 07:35 AM
Not all 503s are book-keepers. Depends on the nib.

I think I already kind of said that in a round about way. 503s, with the box-less levers were often bought in bulk and mated with rigid nibs and used as book-keeper pens. I have had a bunch of these over the years and most have been ACCNT nibs. This one I kept because it is genuinely rubbery and fun. I think I also have a stub someplace. Sweet little pens.

stub
April 9th, 2016, 06:40 AM
bumpity

rivers of ink.

flex

waterman

yeah

stub
April 22nd, 2016, 04:23 AM
close to re-inking this sucka with something purple in honor of a recently departed pop star ...

hehe

but let's bump it