PDA

View Full Version : Starter Pen Advice - Thanks for the help!

something creative
December 22nd, 2012, 11:23 PM
I have used fp's before and have always loved them, but I'm looking now to get my first real starter.

I would prefer a pen whose brand has (for the most part) consistently smooth nibs, as well as an option to get a finer nib size (European F at the broadest, preferably). But, the nib can always be tweaked so while I would love this, I guess, it is not of utmost importance.

Other great qualities would be:
- filling system that allows me to use bottled ink
- cap that won't come off accidentally (screw or snap)
- able to be cleaned and maintained by myself, no sending in
- I hold my pen up on the section toward the barrel a bit more than others (not a lot, but worth mentioning), so a pen that allows for this comfortably would be ideal
- durable (I don't plan on abusing it, but that would still be nice)
- steel nib is acceptable, I don't need anything fancy
- under $100ish, but the more affordable, the better

What do you guys think? A few suggestions and options would be great!

Honestly, I'm prepared to give on these qualities a bit. I just want a decent, comfortable pen that writes when I want it to, smooth and fine. But, if I can get one with these qualities, that'd be nice. :) Okay, sorry for the essay, and thanks for the help! :)

gwgtaylor
December 23rd, 2012, 06:18 AM
I would suggest a TWSBI vac 700 as a pen that would meet all your needs. They can be purchased with smooth extra fine nibs. All pen makers can have bad nibs. I've had questionable nibs from every major brand. (Even montblanc and some other premium brands). I'd say get a vac 700 from the goulet pen company (gouletpens.com) and ask them to write test the pen for smoothness in the order notes. They'll do it and it will slow your shipping a bit. Other option would be to buy in person so you can dip test.

Best of luck!
-Gerald

fountainpenkid
December 23rd, 2012, 07:02 AM
I would suggest a TWSBI vac 700 as a pen that would meet all your needs. They can be purchased with smooth extra fine nibs. All pen makers can have bad nibs. I've had questionable nibs from every major brand. (Even montblanc and some other premium brands). I'd say get a vac 700 from the goulet pen company (gouletpens.com) and ask them to write test the pen for smoothness in the order notes. They'll do it and it will slow your shipping a bit. Other option would be to buy in person so you can dip test.

Best of luck!
-Gerald
I think the one problem would those would be the step in the barrel--if the OP holds the pen a bit up the barrel, it might be consider. But otherwise, I think the Vac700 is a decent suggestion--it doesn't seem to have the same cracking problem as the other TWSBIs. I would also throw in a vintage Parker 51 Aero---the vacumatic filling system is annoying on a 51 because it is cheap plasitc. Try to find a vintage Pelikan 400 or 140...they are really awesome pens--and will serve you the best for a pen under $100 (look on FPN classifieds or or on ebay). My last suggestion is null ofcourse if you have really big hands....

something creative
December 25th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out Goulet Pens. That vac 700 step looks crazy though... It may work, but I'd probably have to find one to test drive before committing to the purchase. What about TWSBI's piston fillers? Like the mini? It's still a TWSBI, soo...

And isn't there a bit of risk getting a vintage pen, as my first pen? Because it's used? I would prefer not to have to tinker too much, and I want it to last. Am I wrong to be wary of vintage?

Once again, thanks! :)

gwgtaylor
December 25th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out Goulet Pens. That vac 700 step looks crazy though... It may work, but I'd probably have to find one to test drive before committing to the purchase. What about TWSBI's piston fillers? Like the mini? It's still a TWSBI, soo...

And isn't there a bit of risk getting a vintage pen, as my first pen? Because it's used? I would prefer not to have to tinker too much, and I want it to last. Am I wrong to be wary of vintage?

Once again, thanks! :)

I like the mini but it's a pretty small pen. Very nice though and I'd definitely recommend one.

Vintage is great and can get you a gold nib for an affordable price. You don't have to tinker if you buy it as 'restored' from a trusted seller. Check out gregminuskin.com for these. I've bought three pens from Greg and all are perfect everyday writers.

Goulets are definitely a great place to order from. If you wait til January they'll have the new twsbi 580 piston filler. This will be a full sized pen. Also check out the pilot pens on their site. Custom 74 is a great pen too.

Good luck!
-gerald

something creative
December 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks! Okay I'll check out Greg and the 580 and the Pilot :) awesome sauce!