PDA

View Full Version : Chicago FPG Pre-Show Gathering?

SteveE
April 4th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Hey gang - It is now April 4th. Last time we discussed the idea, there seemed to be a good deal of support for a get-together next Sunday, April 10 at around noon at the Old Orchard Potbelly Sandwich Works location.

Are we still good to go?

Who will attend?

I'm still planning to be there, if anyone else is.

Hawk
April 4th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Sweetnightingale and hawk plan to attend. And maybe our daughter.

Laura N
April 5th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Yes! I'm looking forward to it! I'll send out an email reminder later in the week, too. Let's take bets on the weather: snow or 60 degrees? Or both?

I know that Roger will be there, too, and we'll have a lot to share about the Chicago pen show.

What are we all bringing to show everyone? I don't have anything spectacular, unless my secret guest comes. But I could bring some architect's nibs if anyone wants to try those. And Michael made this amazing Kaweco Sport case. Also, maybe Lamy Charged Green ink cartridges? They look like the world's tiniest glow sticks, and we could have a miniature light saber tournament with them.

SteveE
April 5th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I don't remember - last year did I bring my "over-sized senior mandarin DuoFold" replica? That's the one I had made by one of the members at FPN. It is in my current rotation, so I could bring it with. Not sure what else will be in the case by the weekend. I'll try to pick out one of the Ranga ebonites, and maybe something else. . .

Darkbulb
April 5th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Just opened my bag and realized I forgot to bring pen and paper with me today. Ugh :(

Laura N
April 5th, 2016, 06:23 PM
I don't remember - last year did I bring my "over-sized senior mandarin DuoFold" replica? That's the one I had made by one of the members at FPN. It is in my current rotation, so I could bring it with. Not sure what else will be in the case by the weekend. I'll try to pick out one of the Ranga ebonites, and maybe something else. . .

Yes, you brought that and it was really cool! I'd love to see a Ranga ebonite in person.

Maybe I'll bring my Agatha Christie. It's like having a pet snake except without all the scary stuff.

Roger W.
April 5th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Yes, I will be there. Maybe we will bring a sample of the ink testing station pens to try out some of the inks.

Roger W.

SteveE
April 6th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I'll try to pick out one of the Ranga ebonites, and maybe something else. . .

I'd love to see a Ranga ebonite in person.

Hmmm. . . Maybe I'll grab a handful of various Rangas, just for grins. . .

Laura N
April 8th, 2016, 01:55 PM
All right, I've sent an email to everyone on my list, but here's a general reminder and invitation for everyone. The Chicago-area pre-show meetup will be this Sunday at noon at Potbelly's in Old Orchard. Everyone's welcome. Feel free to email me or PM for my contact information if you don't already have it.

In addition to all of us, and a super-secret special guest, we’re going to have all of the organizers of the pen show there -- Don Lavin, Paul Conterato and Roger Wooten. They will be giving us a sneak peek of some amazing pens that will be sold on consignment or at auction at the show. That includes vintage pens from the Harvey Rabinowitz estate. Personally, I’m hoping to see some of the Montblancs from a consignment of 300 Montblanc pens. Like, really, really hoping. :)

Also bring any pens and inks you want to share. And as Darkbulb reminds us, above, someone should probably bring paper. :)

ETA: if any attendee can spare a sample of Waterman Inspired Blue/South Seas Blue, I'd very much appreciate it for our ink sample table.

dannzeman
April 11th, 2016, 05:57 AM
So, I made the 3 hour drive there and I have to say, the company was excellent, but I must have missed the special guest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveE
April 11th, 2016, 11:56 AM
So, I made the 3 hour drive there and I have to say, the company was excellent, but I must have missed the special guest...

Maybe you did, but WE didn't!

It was great to put a face (actually, four of them) with a name, Dan. Thanks for making the trek out here. Hope to see you at the Chicago show.

Hawk
April 11th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I'm terrible with names so I didn't recognize you. Great meeting you and your family. Remember to bump into me at the pen show.