PDA

View Full Version : The TWSBI - issue's

Woody
December 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'm a TWSBI fan. We have Vacs, minis, and the 540 with the 580 on the way. Their service is superlative. But does anyone have opinions or news on some of the cracking issues.

If your a TWSBI fan and most of us are it seems I'm always waiting for parts in the mail. Either a barrel or a cap, or a section. I'm waiting for a barrel and section at the moment.

The news is that flipping things to Joho nib which is a good move and that will solve some of the nib issues, I'm hoping they have some ideas for the cracking issues.

Please everyone I'm not bashing this young upstart company, but do we assume that these pens have a limited life. Not exactly a throw away pen, but a limited life. Perhaps a starter educational pen for users, that you can actually take a part and see how a FP works. Waiting for parts for a pen is not fun.

I have 2 540s with cracking issues in the barrel and section. 2 nibs that I had to tweak. I'm not going near the mini. Saying that the Vac could be a winner.

gwgtaylor
December 23rd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hey Bill,

I have a TWSBI/Montesa Valencia, two diamond 540s, a diamond mini, a vac 700 and a micarta 803. I've had no cracking issues whatsoever. Only problem I've had is dry nibs on the 700 and 803. New 700 nib is in the mail to me and hopefully we'll get an 803/805 replacement nib soon.

How does the cracking happen? Is it to do with excessive force when tightening the section onto the pen?

Just wanted to share my experience for what it's worth.

Have a great day!
-gerald

fountainpenkid
December 23rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
As I've said other places, my mini got a longitudinal crack along the barrel. I don't know if it has become worse though, as my dad has taken it into his "collection." But this cracking doesn't seem to be happening in just one way--sometimes it is just from tightening too much, sometimes is happens after the owner has disassembled the pen. The one thing we can be sure of is that they haven't fixed it yet--their "new" plastic used on the mini is still developing cracks...and what about the Vac 700? I have yet to see a "Vac 700 Crack" topic anywhere. That leads me to believe that their plastic is fine, but the way they make their pens is wrong--bad injection molding ports or something. I think they maybe haven't had enough experience injection molding this type of plastic or something...they should talk to an expert.
Just my thoughts. I may be way off.

Merry Christmas!

efj3
December 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I've had several sections crack on me on my 540, and the nib it came with was really dry and scratchy.

At first I thought it was a problem with the manufacturing of the sections, but I figured out what it was. When the cap is screwed on all the way (tight like it should be) the plastic insert in the cap pushes down on the feed housing, that in turn pushes down on the section. The section is under pressure from the cap insert and the body of the pen where it screws in, and under this pressure, it cracks. This has happened to me three times. TWSBI is great about sending replacement sections, but they wouldn't have to in the first place if the pen was designed properly.

In order to combat the issue, I put a small o-ring right above the part where the body screws into the section assembly. This gives the cap something to grip on to when it's screwed in, providing an air-tight seal, and a slight buffer to the pressure that can be put on the section. So far, my currently cracked section hasn't gotten any worse with the o-ring in place.

I think TWSBI has recognized this with the VAC700 and the Mini. I don't have either pen, but I think the metal band they added at the end of the section near the nib should combat the cracking in this area. Hopefully they'll work out the kinks. I think they have potential to be really great, as opposed to the "good" that they are now.

fountainpenkid
December 23rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
I've had several sections crack on me on my 540, and the nib it came with was really dry and scratchy.

At first I thought it was a problem with the manufacturing of the sections, but I figured out what it was. When the cap is screwed on all the way (tight like it should be) the plastic insert in the cap pushes down on the feed housing, that in turn pushes down on the section. The section is under pressure from the cap insert and the body of the pen where it screws in, and under this pressure, it cracks. This has happened to me three times. TWSBI is great about sending replacement sections, but they wouldn't have to in the first place if the pen was designed properly.

In order to combat the issue, I put a small o-ring right above the part where the body screws into the section assembly. This gives the cap something to grip on to when it's screwed in, providing an air-tight seal, and a slight buffer to the pressure that can be put on the section. So far, my currently cracked section hasn't gotten any worse with the o-ring in place.

I think TWSBI has recognized this with the VAC700 and the Mini. I don't have either pen, but I think the metal band they added at the end of the section near the nib should combat the cracking in this area. Hopefully they'll work out the kinks. I think they have potential to be really great, as opposed to the "good" that they are now.

Thanks! So it seems that the 540 has a design problem...but I still remember reports of people having their 540s ARRIVE cracked. So maybe it is a combination of bad design and an injection molding problem for the 540?

GTown_Dave
December 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
I'm having my own issues w/ the Diamond 540, already outlined in a different thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1573-TWSBI-Diamond-540-Cap-Failure). Interestingly (or not) I haven't experienced the cracking issue in either of my 540s, a Clear version I purchased the day they became available, or a Smoke version purchased several months later. However, there is a noticeable difference in how smoothly -- or not -- the two pens are able to be capped/uncapped. While the Clear version feels a bit rough, & tends to both unseat & chew up the o-ring, the Smoke version caps & uncaps perfectly. In fact I've been wondering if that had something to do w/ the eventual failure of the Clear cap, although I cannot be certain as I haven't used the Smoke pen nearly as much.

If I have any issue w/ TWSBI it's that I believe their products are rushed to market before they ought to be, leaving "early adopters" w/ their cheese out in the wind as flaws are identified & corrected. I cannot even begin to keep track of the number of nib & parts changes made on the Diamond 540 alone, & there is often no way to easily identify whether you've purchased a pen w/ older or newer components. I suppose that's a relatively small annoyance considering the low price point, but it's an annoyance nonetheless. I want a product that lasts, not one which requires constant repair.

dannzeman
December 23rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Dave, I'm not picking on you, just using your quote. This response is directed towards everyone.

I want a product that lasts, not one which requires constant repair.
If you want a product that lasts and one that doesn't seem plagued with issues then you'll need to spend more money on a product from a company with a proven track record. What's the next closest piston filler of decent quality? A Pelikan M150? That runs about $75 and it's tiny compared to a 540. Believe it or not, that extra $25 goes a long way in terms of production, testing, and quality control. So when TWSBI sells us a $50 pen we need to expect some corners to be cut somewhere. That's the trade-off for getting such an affordable pen.

Would you be willing to pay an extra $25 for the 540 if it meant improved quality in pens?

GTown_Dave
December 23rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
dannzeman: That's completely fair, & I believe you're correct. Until about a year & a half ago I had never used or owned a fountain pen, so I'm still in the learning stages. And in answer to your question, yes, I would.

FP_GaF
December 23rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I currently own three Diamond 540s (one is the ROC special edition), a VAC 700, a Micarta and a Diamond mini black. I have had no cracking issues in any of the pens so far.

I made a few observations that I want to share here and put up for discussion. First, I think that the plastic has improved considerably between the 540 and the mini. I have no prove for this claim other than my personal experience. The plastic seems less brittle on the mini when screwing off and on the section. It also feels different, a bit softer, very slightly on the rubbery side. Are they now using the new plastic that Speedy demonstrated some time ago?

Second, I personally love the nib in the mini! In my opinion this nib is way better than any of the other nibs I have. All my TWSBI nibs are F. The Schmidt (?) nibs on the Diamond 540s are good but slightly on the dry side. The nibs on both the Micarta and the VAC 700 were made by Peter Bock I believe. These nibs were definitely worse than the Schmidt nibs, dry as hell and, at least in my case somewhat crooked. Now, luckily I love to tune my nibs myself so I dealt with the issues but it was hard work.

Then I got the Diamond mini and I was thoroughly disappointed but only from the tuning point of view: there was nothing to tune whatsoever. Smooth, perfectly aligned tines, perfect flow for my taste, beautiful. I believe the mini is the first with the new YoWo nibs.

What I conclude from all this is that TWSBI is learning how to make ever better fountain pens. Just like with everything else it takes time to become a master. And in the meantime we get very nice and beautiful pens.

What I also find exciting is that I get a chance to see a fountain pen company develop in my lifetime, right before my eyes. Let's not forget that, apart from artisan pen companies like Edison, all pen companies that I know are well established for decades. Visconti and Delta are the "youngest" companies I know and they started 20 to 30 years ago. The way TWSBI is going now, with loads of innovative power and some good ideas and taste for design and excellent customer service, and of course some fair amount of luck which is always necessary, I think they will be around for years to come and we can then say "I was around when they started" and show our trophies in the form of the first pens they ever made. Now isn't that something...

Woody
December 24th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I currently own three Diamond 540s (one is the ROC special edition), a VAC 700, a Micarta and a Diamond mini black. I have had no cracking issues in any of the pens so far.

I made a few observations that I want to share here and put up for discussion. First, I think that the plastic has improved considerably between the 540 and the mini. I have no prove for this claim other than my personal experience. The plastic seems less brittle on the mini when screwing off and on the section. It also feels different, a bit softer, very slightly on the rubbery side. Are they now using the new plastic that Speedy demonstrated some time ago?

Then I got the Diamond mini and I was thoroughly disappointed but only from the tuning point of view: there was nothing to tune whatsoever. Smooth, perfectly aligned tines, perfect flow for my taste, beautiful. I believe the mini is the first with the new YoWo nibs.

Good points. I'm a little tired of mailing and sending parts though. Both of my nibs were very dry - I had to fix that myself - and align the tines. You are correct - if ordering a Vac 700 now from the Goulet outlet, or a mini, the Yowo nibs are used. This is a step in the right direction. Even with the plastic and nib annoyances I'll be ordering a Vac. Twsbi certainly is trying hard - very hard. Twsbi says in their literature that they want to 'introduce' the magic of the FP to new owners and enjoy writing; taking a pen apart; learning how it works. It is self defeating to have a pen break, or crack, or have a bad nib. Twsbi will solve it - I'm sure of that - hopefully before people don't get to turned off by the waiting.

fountainpenkid
December 24th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I never had a 540 or vac 700, but I would agree with FPGaf that the mini plastic does feel rubbery in a way...but on my mini and on some others it still did crack. I think that if they keep improving their plastic they'll solve the problem...the cracking issues HAVE been reduced a lot since they started. And their nibs (at least on my mini) are very good now. And would I pay $25 more for a better quality pen? Yes!

manoeuver
December 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM
as my dad has taken it into his "collection."

Merry Christmas!

???

fountainpenkid
December 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM
???

He does that sometimes when he knows I don't love a pen and he likes it.

gwgtaylor
December 28th, 2012, 02:41 AM
He does that sometimes when he knows I don't love a pen and he likes it.

I thought you sold your mini to a cartoonist or something.

fountainpenkid
December 28th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I thought you sold your mini to a cartoonist or something.

Yeah...to manoeuver here. But my dad refunded him the money and kept the pen himself I think. :redface: @ Tim--you didget a refund, right? (or possibly he sent it off without telling me?) I really don't know.

Inginkpen
December 31st, 2012, 01:47 PM
I read this post as I've invested in two minis and a 540 since Summer. All of them are performing well and have no cracks of any type. I just checked the section and body, all of them have an O ring installed. So, to all of you beta testers, thank you. Also, for a pen with such a low price point, these pens are amazing. It also helps that I purchased two of them from Pendleton Brown, I recommend the broad bad boy angel wing and the hot tip cursive italic.

jor412
January 1st, 2013, 10:17 AM
I have a 530 and the section has a crack. The italic nib I bought which, if I remember correctly, was released after the 540 and before the Vac 700 has the same problem. Note that I wasn't using the pen for some time and it developed a crack while not in use.

I'm waiting for the parts to arrive. The service is impeccable and I have no complaints about that. But in answer to a previous post, I'd rather pay the extra $25, not worry about quality control, and not wait for parts in the mail.

I had a Vac 700 and was not happy with how dry it wrote. I have since sold the pen.

fountainpenkid
January 1st, 2013, 11:06 AM
I have a 530 and the section has a crack. The italic nib I bought which, if I remember correctly, was released after the 540 and before the Vac 700 has the same problem. Note that I wasn't using the pen for some time and it developed a crack while not in use.

I'm waiting for the parts to arrive. The service is impeccable and I have no complaints about that. But in answer to a previous post, I'd rather pay the extra $25, not worry about quality control, and not wait for parts in the mail.

I had a Vac 700 and was not happy with how dry it wrote. I have since sold the pen.

O.K So now we have a couple of cases of the pen cracking just from sitting. So I think I prove my point...the problem is in the injection molding process and the design of the parts themselves.

82-Greg
January 1st, 2013, 05:32 PM
I've had a clear 540 crack in the section and the cap ring break off from the rest of the cap. Both promptly replaced by the company. I've just found some cracks in the upper barrel next to the ring. I love the pen, but the poor quality control has held me from going back for more.

jor412
January 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
That's how I feel about these pens now. I love the way they look and how they work, but the cracks in the plastic are a pain. I may be interested in a Micarta with a clip though.

penultress
January 2nd, 2013, 08:05 PM
I only have an amber 540 and it has been working well for me so far. The only thing I've changed is the nib - I went from B to M to 1.1.

The 1.1 on the 540 is perfect for me!

dannzeman
January 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM

O.K So now we have a couple of cases of the pen cracking just from sitting. So I think I prove my point...the problem is in the injection molding process and the design of the parts themselves.
Will, your point was stated by TWSBI quite a while ago. They knew of these issue and corrected for them. I know people are still saying they're seeing cracks, but I have to wonder which version they have. Obviously we can see the difference between the 530 and 540, but the 540 had 2 or 3 different versions that aren't all the easy to differentiate between. We really need a detailed timeline of when people purchased their pen, when TWSBI implemented changes, and when people started noticing cracks. This would be the only decent way of knowing whether or not any changes TWSBI has made to their production process has improved the quality or not.

Lets not forget that TWSBI is a young company. I think they're allowed some time to get things sorted, but I also think that time is running out. The real test will be with the 580. If it has the same issues as the 540 then I might start to change my tune.

earthdawn
January 4th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Lets not forget that TWSBI is a young company. I think they're allowed some time to get things sorted, but I also think that time is running out. The real test will be with the 580. If it has the same issues as the 540 then I might start to change my tune.

I agree 100% with you...

And would like to add and remind us all that almost any failure in there product has been replaced VERY quickly and without question by them.

I only know of 1 or 2 people who did not get satisfaction from them... but beyond that I know that they really handled there issues with grace.

I mean if you need to send your barnd new Pelikan in, just a random example, you will wait far longer then you would with TWSBI. TWSBI usually has you back in business within 3-5 days from your email request.

snedwos
January 5th, 2013, 05:21 AM
As I've said other places, my mini got a longitudinal crack along the barrel. I don't know if it has become worse though, as my dad has taken it into his "collection." But this cracking doesn't seem to be happening in just one way--sometimes it is just from tightening too much, sometimes is happens after the owner has disassembled the pen. The one thing we can be sure of is that they haven't fixed it yet--their "new" plastic used on the mini is still developing cracks...and what about the Vac 700? I have yet to see a "Vac 700 Crack" topic anywhere. That leads me to believe that their plastic is fine, but the way they make their pens is wrong--bad injection molding ports or something. I think they maybe haven't had enough experience injection molding this type of plastic or something...they should talk to an expert.
Just my thoughts. I may be way off.

Merry Christmas!

Thing is, they should *be* the experts wrt injection moulding, since that's what they did before they got into pen-making... Maybe the whole design of the pen is one that by its very shape introduces stresses in the wrong places...

fountainpenkid
January 5th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Thing is, they should *be* the experts wrt injection moulding, since that's what they did before they got into pen-making... Maybe the whole design of the pen is one that by its very shape introduces stresses in the wrong places...

Good way of saying it.

snedwos
February 15th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Yay, I'm joining the club of the Broken TWSBI! The threads that connect the nib unit to the pen body have shorn off... I could possibly glue it, but better to try and get a new piece...

manoeuver
February 15th, 2013, 04:20 AM
I've busted two of those. If you have an extra nib/section around you can nab the one inside the spare. I may pick up a 1.5 millimeter stub just to have another option and another part thingy.

snedwos
February 15th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Nope, no spare...