PDA

View Full Version : Has Parker stopped making fountain pens?

fountainpenkid
December 23rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
No, I'm not crazy.
Look at their website: http://www.parkerpen.com/
There is no mention of fountain pens anywhere. They used to have a website with the 5th generation pen thing displayed first, but you could still find their fountain pens and ball point models on a side bar...now, there is some weird "Inspiring people" thing. Nothing but their 5th generation pens--no matter what you click on, there is no mention of anything else. Now, pen sellers haven't changed one bit, but does anyone think Parker might stop distribution of their fountain pens to the U.S? Maybe cut down production? Any ideas? It seems as though they want to brush everything else under the carpet and just advertise their 5th generation pens...

Best!

Maja
December 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
I doubt they are giving up on FPs, but it seems like they are certainly trying to "push" sales of the Parker Ingenuity 5TH Technology pens :rolleyes:

I clicked on "Canada" under the "Select your country" option and found fountain pens for all model categories (ie. Duofold, Premier, Premier Monochrome, Sonnet, Urban, I.M. and Vector) except the Ingenuity (for obvious reasons) and the Jotter.

inky_artist
December 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
I'd venture a guess that: a) the "5th Gen" was a stinker in sales this year (come on, a felt-tip that starts at $80? Really?); and b) the folks at the top decided to bring in some Madison Ave, types to run a promo-hype event just in time for the Christmas shopping season. (If you can't sell it as a pen, sell it as a fashion accessory.)

Wouldn't it be nuts if U.S. buyers had to start ordering their Parker FPs from Canada? :blink:

Maja
December 25th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I agree with inky_artist: it was most likely Parker's attempt to boost sales of the Ingenuity, not their way of saying "Hey! We only manufacture one model of writing instrument now!!". If they did, that would be nuts. I suspect that after the holiday season, they will go back to the kind of stuff they previously had on their U.S. website....

fountainpenkid
December 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I agree with inky_artist: it was most likely Parker's attempt to boost sales of the Ingenuity, not their way of saying "Hey! We only manufacture one model of writing instrument now!!". If they did, that would be nuts. I suspect that after the holiday season, they will go back to the kind of stuff they previously had on their U.S. website....
Yeah. It makes sense. I'm gonna have to try one of those 5th pens some day...I wonder it they actually write as well as fountain pens...any shading?

grandmia
January 11th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah. It makes sense. I'm gonna have to try one of those 5th pens some day...I wonder it they actually write as well as fountain pens...any shading?
Hi...I dont know if you are aware but Parker are now in the same camp as Watermans who are both owned by NewallRubermaid....

fountainpenkid
January 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hi...I dont know if you are aware but Parker are now in the same camp as Watermans who are both owned by NewallRubermaid....

Yeah...I know...its sad, but what can we do?

pajaro
May 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Buy the 5th pen on ebay and get a new cartridge, same as any felt tip.

I seem to discover pens when they become passe. Just recently bought a Sonnet.

BENZ
May 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM

No, it's a fineline marker. No shading, nothing like a FP. Get a extra fine point Sharpie and you have the same exact thing.

nxn96
May 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I think the "natural" market for the 5th is people who like the "idea" of a fountain pen, but aren't likely to actually go out and buy one. As others have noted, it's essentially a felt/stylus tipped refill masked with something that resembles a fountain pen nib. Supposedly, this gives the tip more "pen-like" qualities, but I think the real purpose is to let your co-workers think you're using a fountain pen.

While I give Parker credit for trying to promote a new concept in writing, and recognizing there is a potential market out there much like I describe above (but not likely to be on this site), at the end of the day, it's more a "gimmick" than something that addresses a real need in the world of writing instruments. Still, if it sells pens (and perhaps more important for Parker, refills), it helps keep Parker in the game, and that's not a bad thing.