PDA

View Full Version : MontBlanc 144 Doesn't hold ink - drips right out of the nib!

StWm
April 7th, 2016, 07:12 PM
I got a new-to-me converter-fill MB 144. After a good soak and flush I inked it and it wrote beautifully. After fully cleaning it I set it aside for a couple of weeks. I go to fill it up now, submerge the nib, and fill the converter - I take the nib out of the ink and it drips in drops right out of the nib, with the converter screwed up, until all of the ink drains out of the pen! Auto-feeding/dumping!

Anything I can do to troubleshoot?

jar
April 7th, 2016, 07:16 PM
First welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell while you make sure the converter is fully seated. If it is then toss the converter.

Try a standard international cartridge and see if the leak stops.

If it does, get a new standard international converter with either thread fitting or sip fitting as required.

StWm
April 7th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I am thrilled to have found 'my people'.

I am looking forward to getting this pen back in the action but in the meantime I am getting to give a little love to these old Parker 45's I've just got.

StWm
April 15th, 2016, 06:12 PM
FYI! A brand new Mont Blanc Toffee Brown cartridge was placed inside the pen. The pen works perfectly.
Pen acting strange? Check that converter!
I've got a replacement international converter (Schmidt K5?) I am going to try when I get brave and use up all of this beautiful ink!
It's got beautiful light brown to dark brown transition as it dries and it is a beautiful dark brown. Very attractive. As far as I can compare to my eyes it looks like Noodlers Brown #41.

Thanks for all the help!
All is well that ends very well!

jar
April 15th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Glad it was that simple.

Anne
April 15th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the update and about the ink as well! I am glad you revived that pen :)

Blue Note
April 17th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Glad it was that simple.

I'm also glad to hear it was that simple. I've had a similar problem with my 144. It has a MB converter that seats quite loosely and I end up with ink in the cap and the barrel. I'll try a cartridge and if that works I'll buy a new converter. Thanks all, very helpful thread. I knew I was going to like it here.

StWm
April 17th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Glad it was that simple.

I'm also glad to hear it was that simple. I've had a similar problem with my 144. It has a MB converter that seats quite loosely and I end up with ink in the cap and the barrel. I'll try a cartridge and if that works I'll buy a new converter. Thanks all, very helpful thread. I knew I was going to like it here.

Glad to hear it was of use! Hope it works for you also!
I put this update on here because it was difficult to find information on this specific issue which seems very simple in hindsight.
I'm improving my pen repair ability by leaps and bounds it seems but I was very unwilling to start hacking and prying at the diminutive and refined MB 144!

The real tragedy is watching me try to write with it! Does anyone make pens for ogre hands?!